a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Legion celebrate its creation ?

Do you think that the legion should celebrate it's creation?

• Total voters

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
I voted "Yes with a small ceremony". Day off, definitely.

However the question is, should the legionnaires be allowed out on town for a p*ss up? :whistle:

Not for a p#s up of course :eek:, but as usual visiting churches, museums and libraries....:geek:
like all soldiers do on leave/day off.:devilish:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
What I find hard to understand is, there has been 221 views and 12 votes. Come on guys, it's not as though you are having to go down to your local polling station while match of the day is on.
If anyone doesn't know how to vote :rolleyes:. At the top of the thread page you have "cast a vote".
I can hardly see myself turning up at the COMLE and asking the COMLE for a day off because 12 people, well 11 (not counting the 'not interested' voted for it.ā˜•

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes now I am no longer their or in! As with any celebration within the Legion the special K and wine is on mass in my case i normally ended up in trouble, but I do think not to celebrate the creation is wrong.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes now I am no longer their or in! As with any celebration within the Legion the special K and wine is on mass in my case i normally ended up in trouble, but I do think not to celebrate the creation is wrong.
is this you? :ROFLMAO: quite right you boys should be proud of the Legion.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Google : the battle of Dunkeld (took place in the cathƩdrale)
Camerone Highlanders (Covenant troops based in the low lands and presbetyrians ( protestants / reformists / Calvanists / Knoxists) against the catholic Jaco-bites
Evry battle has it's perlude and the battle of Dunkeld 16 89 was that of the Boyne , 1690
Google : soldiers leap Killiekrankie (am born near by)
Also : the Hermitage

Dun = Fortress or Citadel

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
fraise des bois. That is the nick name of the French paras, nothing bad.

"Wild Strawberrys"? Gotta have something to do with the color of their Berets, then.
Funny how so many Airborne/Para units around the world rock berry-colored beanies. Reckon who did it first?

Edit: Turns out it was the Brits, in '42, who came up with the idea.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
"Wild Strawberrys"? Gotta have something to do with the color of their Berets, then.
Funny how so many Airborne/Para units around the world rock berry-colored beanies. Reckon who did it first?

Edit: Turns out it was the Brits, in '42, who came up with the idea.
those Damm brits..lol look at Mark Wake, he did the British paras & REP :)
yet he is one of the most humble men on here. has my respect.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
My speculation is the Foreign Legion doesnā€™t celebrate its creation mainly because the Marines do. The French didnā€™t want to look embarrassing like Americans and said ā€œ if Americaā€™s finest fighting force celebrates its creation , then We will not. one, mainly because itā€™s tacky and weā€™re better than the Marinesā€.

The Marines respond ā€œ I just wanted my combat action ribbonā€.

the French Foreign Legion said ā€œ we donā€™t have those either, why would you award somebody for being violentā€.

Attachments

• 93EF1278-8804-4A89-9EC8-C0A5A9DC551D.jpeg
    93EF1278-8804-4A89-9EC8-C0A5A9DC551D.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 6D3E7227-7D0C-4B0F-A543-5A8D040F81AF.jpeg
    6D3E7227-7D0C-4B0F-A543-5A8D040F81AF.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 2