a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Skills and Regiments

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I have seen some posts (I used the search bar of course) to find about rankings, regiments specifications,
and so on, but did not found anything specific. In the documentary about FFL, there is part of interview
where the candidate would like to go, to do, etc. In some topics I have seen mention that it could depends
on the FFL needs and the "rank" of the volunteer or basically score has reached.

As I understand, it only matter about your past work or skills or specialization after you receive the contract,
before that you are nobody like any other candidate. In my case I have background with telecommunications / IT,
does this makes any difference in choosing the Regiment ? I was thinking about 2e REG de génie, of course
I have no clear idea if there is really any co-relation of their job and "technology". There is a specific logic to choose
or for them choose for you which one?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This guy Thomas gast has a lot of Videos on each regiment in the Légion. Talks about each regiment.. Also a member here. He knows Joe. Does english Videos too😆

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Does english Videos too😆
I hope so, I have studied German language, but didn't reached such level hehe, I follow them on fb and other social media, but didn't found "specifications" or "requirements" for the regiment... will continue my research, and thanks for the video

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
What you have done in the past is all well and good and it all counts as experience. Most people when they join the legion want to get away from what they have done in the past. Although you may be asked which regiment you are thinking of joining while in Aubagne (quite a few are taken with a bout of REP fever), it is merely a question to see if you have done your homework before applying. for example if you were to say that you would like to join the 2 REG, the recruiter will ask you why.
I'm not sure what telecommunications/IT involves although, unless it is a grade 1 qualification, then it isn't really sought after in the legion, or rather it's not something that the legion needs and is in very short supply of. With the exception of an instrument, the legion are always looking for bandsmen. however although they're very mush appreciated, it isn't really something that people go half way around the world to join.

Whatever your specialty was in civvy street, if you want to carry it on in the legion you will still have to do a legion or French army course to get qualified. For example you were a long distance intercontinental truck driver for the past 5 years before joining, you will still have to do your VL (vehicle leger -car) and PL (poids lourds- truck).
Another example is I did my instruction with a mechanic in the pit stops of formula 1, he was sent to 1 REC and after doing his regimental course he was sent on his mechanics course 🙃.

As for which regiment you will go to after instruction, it depends on which place you finish. The 1st gets first choice. However if there is a build up of troops in one regiment such as we saw with the 13 DBLE then most of the rest of the recruits will be sent there. Saying that the 13 should be up to strength and there are always places available for the regiments based in France.
You will be taught the specialty of each regiment while you are in Castel and there will probably be cadre from them which you can put your questions to.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
What you have done in the past is all well and good and it all counts as experience. Most people when they join the legion want to get away from what they have done in the past. Although you may be asked which regiment you are thinking of joining while in Aubagne (quite a few are taken with a bout of REP fever), it is merely a question to see if you have done your homework before applying. for example if you were to say that you would like to join the 2 REG, the recruiter will ask you why.
I'm not sure what telecommunications/IT involves although, unless it is a grade 1 qualification, then it isn't really sought after in the legion, or rather it's not something that the legion needs and is in very short supply of. With the exception of an instrument, the legion are always looking for bandsmen. however although they're very mush appreciated, it isn't really something that people go half way around the world to join.

Whatever your specialty was in civvy street, if you want to carry it on in the legion you will still have to do a legion or French army course to get qualified. For example you were a long distance intercontinental truck driver for the past 5 years before joining, you will still have to do your VL (vehicle leger -car) and PL (poids lourds- truck).
Another example is I did my instruction with a mechanic in the pit stops of formula 1, he was sent to 1 REC and after doing his regimental course he was sent on his mechanics course 🙃.

As for which regiment you will go to after instruction, it depends on which place you finish. The 1st gets first choice. However if there is a build up of troops in one regiment such as we saw with the 13 DBLE then most of the rest of the recruits will be sent there. Saying that the 13 should be up to strength and there are always places available for the regiments based in France.
You will be taught the specialty of each regiment while you are in Castel and there will probably be cadre from them which you can put your questions to.
So, get top ranked or die trying? I did my research, and while I would be happy to have any job, or any posting in the legion of course, if I was asked where I would be interested in going the list is:

1st 3 REI - Jungle training, interesting post, could learn alot and humidity and heat is what I am acclimated to naturally.
2nd 13DBLE - I am told the training is good, and is hard. But the stories about Bir Hakeim and other desert ventures are very motivating. If I'm not mistaken, they are a light armored desert fighting group? I don't mind sand and sun.
3rd 2 REI - le petit caporal gave very convincing reasoning, not to mention that the regiment has fought in just about every major modern fight, and is very prestigious.

2REP sounds high speed, and I love challenges do not get me wrong. But I simply do not want to relive jumping in full equipment, especially with how 82nd rolls. I am sure the FFL does it different, but I am not so easily convinced.

Reactions: j.b

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Unfortunately 3 REI (an old stamper of mine) only has a few available posting each year for those passing out of Castel. If there is a place available go for it.
the 13 (another old stamper of mine:sleep: when it was in Djibouti - I was there with the poster boy Scouse arley
are no longer in Djibouti or the UAE for that matter, but are now based in France.
2 REI, le petit caporal has about summed it up.
2 REP, everyone wants them before joining, while in Aubagne and then when they get to Castel, with the idea that it gets worse/harder when you get on the island... well, let's get you to Castel first.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Thank you very much guys! Even if all this information doesn't make any difference in the process, at least,
new information and sharing experience is always much appreciate.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The 13°DBLE, is almost a full time Infanterie regiment on a level with the 2° REI.
We both serve in the same Division, 6° DLB (light brigade division). As do the Cavalry, 1° REC and the Engineers, 1° REG