a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skinny Guys

Gaius

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Quick question. So, I am about 5'10-5'11, and I weight 145 lbs. I am very active as I have posted before, and I'm not a "weakling". My question is, because I'm a tall thin guy does that count against me in selection, or do they only care about my performance?

Krampe

Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Im just going to speak out of assumption now as i have no experiance with the legion what so ever (if everything goes as planned i will in the future)

Anyway, in the norwegian army they have a saying "we need every kind of man, skinny and big tall and short" And i would assume that the mentallity is the same in military units around the world as every body type have something to offer. Keep in mind, this is what i assume, and as long as you can meet the requirements i dont think they care what you look like.

But im sure there are guys in here who could give you a better answer than me, im just thinking out loud here.

Gaius

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I was just making sure. Most men in my bloodline were soldiers (and damn good ones) and they were all tall and thin like myself. I hope to live up to that.

Le Gringo

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
5'11" and only 145?? To be honest i'm jealous, you have an ideal body type for the legion. They don't want bodybuilders; all that extra weight just slows you down. You're lighter so can run faster and longer without fatigue and joint pain. Not just that, but without all that extra weight you can probably do twice the pullups and pushups as a lot of the big guys.

If you look at videos of legionnaires, a lot of these guys are relatively thin, and 5'11 isn't too tall at all. If you're athletic like you say, you're going to destroy the other guys in the physical testing part of selection. Now me on the other hand, i'm quite a bit taller and have 60 lbs on you, so I should be worried.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I was just making sure. Most men in my bloodline were soldiers (and damn good ones) and they were all tall and thin like myself. I hope to live up to that.

Check your muscular mass with this : http://www.imc.fr/
Height must be in cm and weight in kilos
The result must be between 20 and 25 I think (search google to be sure, look at the legion recruiting page)

Le Gringo

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The result must be between 20 and 25 I think (search google to be sure, look at the legion recruiting page)

I've read 20-30 on that unofficial FFL joining page: http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

I really don't like BMI (Body Mass Index) calculations because they don't include bodyfat%. You could be heavier because you have a larger skeletal frame, or are just very muscular, and the BMI will say that you're morbidly obese.

Krampe

Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
obésité modérée it says, i have a lot of work to do. Im 6'2 110kg and im in no way soldier material, but im pretty confident that just about anyone can succeed as long as they have the right mindset. I wont be going anywhere until 1 year and 6 months so i have a lot of time, but that link got me a bit worried but twice as motivated.

korisnik

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
how is thet posible i have 180+-1cm and 81kg and i can probbably lose 5kg max but to be 145libs= 65kg i think i would look like skeleton

Gaius

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

My BMI is 20.3 I pass but barely. I'm rather young at the age of 20 years, and I have a high metabolism combined with the amounts of physical activity I do. I will not boast about my prowess but I take good care of my body.

My body has a light frame, and low body fat. I wish I could be like some others, and have a few extra kilos on me, but I suppose I will get heavier should I pass selection and have some time under my belt.

Gaius

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
5'11" and only 145?? To be honest i'm jealous, you have an ideal body type for the legion. They don't want bodybuilders; all that extra weight just slows you down. You're lighter so can run faster and longer without fatigue and joint pain. Not just that, but without all that extra weight you can probably do twice the pullups and pushups as a lot of the big guys.

If you look at videos of legionnaires, a lot of these guys are relatively thin, and 5'11 isn't too tall at all. If you're athletic like you say, you're going to destroy the other guys in the physical testing part of selection. Now me on the other hand, i'm quite a bit taller and have 60 lbs on you, so I should be worried.

My friend always remember, we all have strengths and weaknesses! I may be lighter and smaller, but think of it this way; Who would be dumb enough to pick a fight with you? My general rule is if they outweigh me by 40-50 lbs, it's not worth the ass beating I would receive. Even if I were more skilled, it is still difficult to stand toe to toe with you large fellers! Just train hard and believe in yourself and I think you will do well. No worries bud

Le Gringo

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Gauis, out of curiosity have you tried doing the Luc Leger yet? I'm curious at that weight what level you could reach.

Just PM me before you go to France so I can make sure NOT to be in your selection group.:cool:

Gaius

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Gauis, out of curiosity have you tried doing the Luc Leger yet? I'm curious at that weight what level you could reach.

Just PM me before you go to France so I can make sure NOT to be in your selection group.:cool:
To be honest with you, I have not made it to a track yet but tomorrow I will. My sprints are above average but nothing worth boasting about. Long distance I feel I could go forever. I know I will not allow myself to fail, and my performance greatly improves when other people are around and it's a competition. As Loustic has said, I will need to practice atleast 4-5 times a week. So I will start tomorrow (legs need a rest day muscles are sore as hell).

At any rate, when you get to selection you will have to do your best, and do not be discouraged. If you got to, say level 8. And the Ethiopian next to you got to 14, that doesn't mean he will get the Gestapo interview and go rouge. It's simply one category you are judged on (although you should heed Don Pedro's advice and run like death is following you). I was told that the legion can make you physically better, it depends if you are smart, determined and fit their requirements for a good soldier.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
how is thet posible i have 180+-1cm and 81kg and i can probbably lose 5kg max but to be 145libs= 65kg i think i would look like skeleton

You have nothing to worry about, keep your weight at 81 kg. Myself, i mesure 174, i clocked in under 70 kgs when i joined, we weren't all 'chats maigres' or 'Racing snakes' some of the heavier guys sure had their hard time to keep up on the cooper. Now you are all blessed with the Luc Léger.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don,

So correct, how the big lads suffered on speed marches. But they could yomp for miles and carry heavy loads. Normally they went to Mortars.

As for me I was a wiry little squirt ! A tad over 5'6" and 9 Stones 7lbs. I gained an inch and was the smallest in the squad. I won the coveted green beret with no re-runs.

Never new my forebear's physique- killed WW2. I was evacuated by Barnardos.

No-one should worry about size. It is all in the mind and people can be really surprised about what they can physically achieve. Simply guts, determination and sheer will power make you a winner.

Looks and stature can be deceptive.

Chas- Once a diminutive, sweet and baby faced trained killer !

belabok

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Well I can just say that when visiting my son in france, I was amazed to see the huge number of what I called "skinny" legionaires. Thought all legionaires were big & bulky. It was clear that in the legion it is not about only being "huge" but by ability to keep going long after others have stopped.

So I say, Gaius, you have no worry it might count in your favour.
You can run well, do luc leger well, less weight to pull up etc etc..

The huge guys suffer on stamina type exercises.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Slightly off topic but amusing.

In my day everyone in the Armed Forces wore uniform in public.
Now this could have been in a Giles cartoon.

I was on Waterloo station o/c of a group of RMs' going to Wales for mountain and canoeing activities. Lots of military types were milling around and started to look at us with interest.

60 of my men were brought to attention on the platform and my Sgt. deliberately gave me a cracking salute and then reported them all present.

There was a deadly hush and a little old lady watching said very audibly;" Isn't he young to be in charge of all those men". My lads cracked up, Crab Air watching pissed themselves with laughter. I just grinned and gave her an angelic smile.

Gaius

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
We I guess I shouldn't be worried then. I'll just keep training, and hopefully my body and my fitness will prove to be unforeseen advantages. Still would like to be a little heavier. Ah and could someone explain what measurement unit a "stone" is? I'm from across the pond you see, we do everything different for some reason

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Gaius,
One stone is 14lbs (Pounds). I joined aged 17. Eventually I was 5'7" and 142 lbs- fighting weight.
i.e. Ten stones 2 pounds. I was commissioned at 20 declining a para offer.
USMC height requirements 4' 10" to max of 6'8".
We were known as the lean, mean, green fighting machine. We ran and ran for miles!