a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SLR...the memories

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pZcZbStU6ic Chas,Martin,for all of us that had the privilege to use one of these baby's.Sizing down in calibre from the 7.62 to 5.56 was a piece of piss.Disregard the Nazi flag in the background.I have it on good authority from (Kiwi Trembath 2REP 89-94) this guy is just a collector and ex NZ Army.

Last edited:

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Can't see it. But i don't need to, i know how a SLR sounds and feels to fire (held it in hand during my CME, amongst others), done it in Zaïre 1991, just for fun. :)

Later... Now i can see. Cheers!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In the Corps I started with the Lee Enfield 303 No. 4. A good solid and reputable weapon from WW2. I receive my crossed rifles. Mag 10 rounds + one up the spout

I also had a Sten Gun which was a useless and self harming piece of kit prone to accidental discharge if the butt was knocked on the tailboard of a vehicle or on any obstacle. It was cheap as chips ! It could have been made from bed springs. I believe the WW2 price of manufacture was less than 10 Shillings.

Then we got the Sterling sub machine gun. Good but you had to aim low left to right for 3 aimed shots to hit the stomach/chest area.

After the Lee Enfield we were issued with the SLR.762 a nice weapon eventually replaced by the shitty SA80 and then by the advanced SA80 A2 design which failed again in 2002 in Afghanistan because its design has its mechanical system exposed to the elements and is thus vulnerable to a malfunction.

With the HSF I was issued with my Browning pistol and the SA80.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Remember this piece of kit well.Especially my section commander taking down a rabid hyena in Kenya withone round. Lots of.bbruised shoulders if you did not tuck the butt right in. As I had previously fired it in the Army Cadets. I didn't have that problem lots of my fellow recruits did. On a personal note I feel it was a much smarter rifle on public duties as well.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Remember this piece of kit well.Especially my section commander taking down a rabid hyena in Kenya withone round. Lots of.bbruised shoulders if you did not tuck the butt right in. As I had previously fired it in the Army Cadets. I didn't have that problem lots of my fellow recruits did. On a personal note I feel it was a much smarter rifle on public duties as well.

Aye. a good rifle Martin! It served us all well back in the day! A bloody bitch to pack and drop with though!

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Aye. a good rifle Martin! It served us all well back in the day! A bloody bitch to pack and drop with though!
If that was the case Mark hate to think what a GPMG or Charle G was like strapped down in all that kit out of the aircraft.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If that was the case Mark hate to think what a GPMG or Charle G was like strapped down in all that kit out of the aircraft.

The heavy arms were put in containers mate. Where as their legion counterparts? Demerdez toi! take care bro.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
The heavy arms were put in containers mate. Where as their legion counterparts? Demerdez toi! take care bro.
Hate to think of drooping into a hot LZ and the heavy weapons had drifted. Brings a whole new meaning to improvisation.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hate to think of drooping into a hot LZ and the heavy weapons had drifted. Brings a whole new meaning to improvisation.

In peace time the brass got a little nervous with the expense of repairing high value section weapons not to mention broken bones! Thereafter weapon containers were the answer! God forbid the bloody things got lost! Certain combat ops things were a little different. Myself? I liked the legion way of doing things. Certain op in Africa we were scattered all over the bloody place. and lost a lot of kit. But like I said. du merde toi!

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In peace time the brass got a little nervous with the expense of repairing high value section weapons not to mention broken bones! Thereafter weapon containers were the answer! God forbid the bloody things got lost! Certain combat ops things were a little different. Myself? I liked the legion way of doing things. Certain op in Africa we were scattered all over the bloody place. and lost a lot of kit. But like I said. du merde toi!

Just a foot note. These systems have been around since w11 the German fallschirmjager pioneered airborne weapons containers. The Brits / yanks followed suit later.

Aolain1

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I was lucky enough to live fire a SLR when 2RGJ came to Campbell in 1980 (or was it 81?).

We all thought it was a "real" rifle compared to out M 16A1. On the other hand, the Brits just loved our 16s--we could not keep them from firing full auto!

As I remember it was not too heavy. But what struck me was how damned heavy the SLR 20 round mags were when loaded with live rounds; especially when compared to our 5.56 30 round mags.

It did not kick as much as I thought it would.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I was lucky enough to live fire a SLR when 2RGJ came to Campbell in 1980 (or was it 81?).

We all thought it was a "real" rifle compared to out M 16A1. On the other hand, the Brits just loved our 16s--we could not keep them from firing full auto!

As I remember it was not too heavy. But what struck me was how damned heavy the SLR 20 round mags were when loaded with live rounds; especially when compared to our 5.56 30 round mags.

It did not kick as much as I thought it would.
TRY lugging a GPMG with 2000 rounds of ball and link now there was some weight, especially over a Assault Course or forced march over terrain