a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Pull up details

himalayan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Nepal
Hey everyone,
I had watched this video on pullups by Major Gerald previously and had applied the technique to notice great improvements. However, I had never paid attention to the details he mentined around 02:22 mark wher he says that the thumb needs to be on the other side of the bar (than where the rest of your fingers are) and should forn a "lock". Watching the video again yesterday I realized that I was doing it wrong all these months. Strangely, Stew Smith, an ex navy seal whose videos I follow and whose techniques I use also, has suggested to keep the thumb on the same side as the other fingers.
The major also explains that a pull up with your chin up while going above the bar won't be counted; the chin should rest perpendicular to the floor at all times.

Now I am confused. I know that these are very small details but I'd like to know whether such details can lead to disqualification. As Major Gerald is an official representative of FLE I fear that they do matter. In this case I'd like to share this video with every aspiring legionnaires out there to watch this video properlt and avoid making trivial mistakes without knowledge that may lead to disqualification.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
The thing with all this training is good, but remember that you have to do a minimum of 7 regulation pull ups to get in.

himalayan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Nepal
The thing with all this training is good, but remember that you have to do a minimum of 7 regulation pull ups to get in.
The number of pull ups is not a problem. My concern is whether the tiny details the major Gerald has mentioned like putting thumb on this side of the bar rather than on the other side, failure to keep the chin completely perpendicular to the ground, body elevating at somewhat oblique angle to the ground (that can happen) etc. can lead to pull ups not being counted at all.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Position of thumb is not big of a deal. You can easily correct that if you want in future. Way you doing is not good because that way your hands are pushed in unnatural position and I guess is little bit harder that way.
There is many variations of pull ups. With reverse grip, puling head in front of bar, different width of grips etc.
You can do all of them, but you should concrete on one shown in video which is used for testing.

Position of head is not that much important too. It's very hard to keep head absolutely horizontal if you don't have sufficient power. It's more important trying not to twist your neck and pulling your chin over bar when you are in upper position. I don't think that little bit of head twist when you passing bar should be a problem. Just correct position of head to horizontal after you pass the bar.
As I said is very hard to do it that way if you are under 20 pull ups

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
The number of pull ups is not a problem. My concern is whether the tiny details the major Gerald has mentioned like putting thumb on this side of the bar rather than on the other side, failure to keep the chin completely perpendicular to the ground, body elevating at somewhat oblique angle to the ground (that can happen) etc. can lead to pull ups not being counted at all.
As I mentioned before, regulation pull ups. That means thumbs on the other side of the bar.