a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So i made it

RadioTex

Crusty Caporal
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yep, Nimes is great. Back in the late '80s, I saw ZZ Top in the colliseum.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Have you ever been in an Irish pub? They have all of that and more.
I've been to Irish pubs a few times but I've never seen there any Roman temple or coliseum, let alone bullfight (although... I've seen guys looking like bulls close to fighting, but that's another story !).
Not very far from Nîmes is also "Le Pont du Gard", one of the biggest and best preserved Roman aqueducts. I know legionnaires on leave are after booze and pussies, but who knows ? There might be some history buffs among them... Just pulling a bit your chain...:D

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I've been to Irish pubs a few times but I've never seen there any Roman temple or coliseum, let alone bullfight (although... I've seen guys looking like bulls close to fighting, but that's another story !).
Not very far from Nîmes is also "Le Pont du Gard", one of the biggest and best preserved Roman aqueducts. I know legionnaires on leave are after booze and pussies, but who knows ? There might be some history buffs among them... Just pulling a bit your chain...:D

That would be me, if my life takes me to the 2nd REP, I cannot wait to tramp around Corsica and make quick trips to such historic places.

http://www.napoleon.org/en/magazine/museums/files/National_Museum_the_Bonaparte.asp

lloydy1984

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Was it tough for members of your section to get assigned to the 2nd REP? How in demand is it to be attached to that regiment!

Glad you made it, good luck and hopefully it is all that your expect out of it!

In the end in our section,there was i think 37 finish the instruction and 5 went to the rep.it wasnt as sought after as a lot of people think,there were guys finishing in the middle of the placement going to calvi.2 reg was quite popular,was tempted to go myself for a bit but then went to formigueres and realised i hated the cold and climbing mountains lol

Sugardaddy

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
In the end in our section,there was i think 37 finish the instruction and 5 went to the rep.it wasnt as sought after as a lot of people think,there were guys finishing in the middle of the placement going to calvi.2 reg was quite popular,was tempted to go myself for a bit but then went to formigueres and realised i hated the cold and climbing mountains lol
Good to hear cause I would love to end up as a repman, love the Mediterranean so Calvi would be just an added bonus plus I just have a thing for Africa and REP is deployed all over that place, then again 2REI goes to Afghanistan we shall see.

BTW how hard is it to do well in the basic? Apart from cleaning skills

Mise

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Rapace, my Legionary has developed a taste for classical music since he joined.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Rapace, my Legionary has developed a taste for classical music since he joined.
Excellent... As some ad says, at least some sweetness in a world of brutes ;) :D !

corvee de chotte

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
History has always been of interest to me, Calvi in winter was devoid of pussy, except for La Dolce Vita whore house and some excellent trannies.
The citadel is interesting, it was while attacking it, that Nelson lost his eye. Where the gendarme club is was a house belonging to Bonaparte, an excellent place for an apéritif,there are reminders of the German occupation all over Corsica.The old prison cells at fort Charlie straight out of papillion, just no Steve McQueen. Nimes and Orange have enough history to keep any one going for a long while.
While working in Algeria, near Mecheria, there are man made mountains of scrap barbed wire these originally surrounded the towns. I visited some old French forts now dilapidated and empty with only graffiti to bare testemant as to the soldiers that had passed through here, mines are still abundant everywhere all AP and still look new even after the passage of forty odd years.

Antnee

Reaction score
Home Country
England

Instead you came to 2rei just cause you knew i was there! LOL!

mark karna

Reaction score
Home Country
Nepal
hey man...
Congrats a lot... am back to this forum after a long time... I'm still doing my French here....am trying a lot be at France for the selection & hope i gonna be successful in reaching France...
Have a fun at Legion man...
au revoir

Kaiser

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
i made it too sat in castel as we speak 2 months into basic but i have ashoulder injury, so im in a special section whilst i recover called s.i.a - not sure if this is for me though may go civil after the 4 months, i had to try it to find out tho ;)

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
So Kaiser, you seen Arnie there in Castel?

Do a lot of guys get injured and end up in S.I.A.?

Well Good luck whatever you end up doing.

You probably don't have time, but post more about your time if you have a chance.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
above calvi is the rock angles were Nelson lost his eye and Corse is were the great Napoleon hailed from. We did pick up some of the history between pubs lol ;)

0341Grunt

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Kaiser, when you are feeling down, remember Pain is only temporary, pride is forever.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Congratulations mate.... Did any of your section go to Orange..

EV_CHEF

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hi everyone. I was on the forum about 6 months ago just letting you all know that I got into the Legion and am now at 2e REI. If anyone has any questions about selection or training put it on the forum and I'll try to answer. Maybe not straight away though because we are on the terrain tomorrow. Beaucoup marche, c'est nickel ici. Au revoir for now.

congrats :)

Kaiser

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Im a bit down now its true my section will finish soon and im stuck here waiting to find out my future. Im still undecided but seeing the special tuesday will help. Getting injured in training is bad for morale and its a bit of a ball ache to repeat a couple more months.

I would say that Castel doesn't give you the best view of the Legion. The real training starts after in your regiment, Castel is just a step for changing you from civilian to military. Many of the cadre are here because they got injured - usually ex 2REP, or for discipline problems.

There are a lot of idiots who join also and it can be quite frustrating at times. If you want any specifics i can try an answer them providing i get time.