a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Social security

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
Hey, everyone, I would like to know about this issue of not paying social security for the time been spent in the legion is five years. in my country if you don't work you have to pay every month to the government social security services. I assume that most of the country's do the same and maybe some of you ex legioners or active ones have a solution. from what I know is that I will need to prove that I was living in another foreign country in my case as a soldier and soldiers don't pay social security payments but would I be able to prove that I was a legioner after? do I get some kind of document proving that in the end ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hey, everyone, I would like to know about this issue of not paying social security for the time been spent in the legion is five years. in my country if you don't work you have to pay every month to the government social security services. I assume that most of the country's do the same and maybe some of you ex legioners or active ones have a solution. from what I know is that I will need to prove that I was living in another foreign country in my case as a soldier and soldiers don't pay social security payments but would I be able to prove that I was a legioner after? do I get some kind of document proving that in the end ?
If you are from Israel why join the Legion? you have excellent special forces.

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
I was injured when I was in the army and they don't let you rejoin here sadly you can only try your best ones you join at 18 years old

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
You have to pay to social security services even if you officially don't have any income !?! Man that is really bad. I know that isn't case in most (probably all) European countries. In fact if you don't have any income government will give you some money so you can survive at some low level. (In fact in many EU countries than money is pretty close to minimum wage!)

So in Israel, government will take your money no matter do you have it or not? Man, now some stereotypes about Jewish people don't look so silly. :)

Why do you have Armenian flag?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

France actually has the best SF I here in all of Europe they get the most Missions as to what I am told. But the FSK and the Scandanavian SOF are really good. The Polish Grom have been argued the best and then there is the old SAS. So I do not know. I wish I joined when I was 16 I would of had a French AA degree and could of gotten in the French SAS or GCP first then a shot at the 29 eme DGSE action division.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I wish I joined when I was 16 I would of had a French AA degree and could of gotten in the French SAS or GCP first then a shot at the 29 eme DGSE action division.
There's a lot of things I wish I'd done, but as you're 39 and thinking of joining the legion, I'd concentrate on that, otherwise it will be another topic to add to your never never bucket list.
do I get some kind of document proving that in the end ?
Getting back to the subject, I take it that in Israel you have to pay in social security for your retirement? As le petit caporal states, you pay SS and taxes etc, but this is deducted from your pay so you don't even notice it. You will have have a social security number, in fact it will be on your ID card. When you leave you will be give given a certificate of good conduct which will show that you have served in the legion. towards the end of your 5 years you can go to see you bureau major company offices and ask them to apply for a certificate from the French government saying that you have paid taxes and SS. If (it depends who the kn*bbers in the office are) they won't do it they will at least tell you how to go about doing it.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Tax is deducted directly from your wage now. ..if trop perçu (paid too much) à back payement will be made later in the year

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
France actually has the best SF I here in all of Europe they get the most Missions as to what I am told. But the FSK and the Scandanavian SOF are really good. The Polish Grom have been argued the best and then there is the old SAS. So I do not know. I wish I joined when I was 16 I would of had a French AA degree and could of gotten in the French SAS or GCP first then a shot at the 29 eme DGSE action division.
French have the best SF? 😆😆😆

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure where Mark is getting his info from (DGSE :ROFLMAO:) only joking Mark.
But that is hard one to put a finger on. It's true that France has a lot of ex colonies that they are still very active in and keep a low profile...:unsure:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure where Mark is getting his info from (DGSE :ROFLMAO:) only joking Mark.
But that is hard one to put a finger on. It's true that France has a lot of ex colonies that they are still very active in and keep a low profile...:unsure:
Good guys in every army but the best.. 😆 Doubt it.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
How can you tell who is the best? On which, or what would be, a proper criteria?
Logic dictates that "the best" would not like anyone knowing anything about them. It's part of the job.
Keeping low profile and engaged, Canucks come to mind.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
How can you tell who is the best? On which, or what would be, a proper criteria?
Logic dictates that "the best" would not like anyone knowing anything about them. It's part of the job.
Keeping low profile and engaged, Canucks come to mind.
Thank you for your words of wisdom

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
You are welcome. I was just commenting and making conversation . And thank you for your wisdom. Everyday.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Well,
Have a nice day.
All the best!