a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Some questions about medical and advices

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Turkey
Hello all, first of all I'm genuinely sorry if this was the wrong place to post this. Just warn me if that is the case and I'll gladly delete this post.
I checked previous posts on this subject but decided to post a new one because I'm getting anxious.
I'm 22 years old, very fit and a sportsman. I'm a cyclist and runner, not professional just hobby. After I graduate from university, I will do my obligatory service then I'm planning on joining LLE. I want to stay in LLE until I become I pensioner, my wish is to become a combat vehicle operator or gunner, being a medic would also be nice.
However I have a very small crack in my left tibia (hairline fracture) with edema, also have torn meniscus on both knee, left one is worse though. I learned these this week. They are due to sports I practice. I have seen a doctor about this and he said I can do everything in 6 months at worst. I told him about my wish to become a legionnaire and he said It would be ok to join armed forces because I wouldn't have any loss of function. However he suggested that I should have meniscus surgery via arthroscopy (probably on both knees), which will leave very little scars on the side of the knee. I will use scar removal cream or gel etc. on them, but should I lie to the medic or show the records of these surgeries? If I show these records, I fear that I will be shown the way out. (I'll try it anyway, better to be defeated than not having tried once.) By the way, I'm fluent in English, Turkish and Russian. Can knowledge of these languages increase my chance to get elected?
Do you know any people who had a case like mine but got selected?

Thank you very much, I hope you have a very good day!

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Kotkata and welcome to the forum.
You will have a form to fill out before you even go into the doctors office which will ask you if you have had any operations, any deceases*, any broken bones etc. Contrary to what my learned friend Dusa may think ;), the doctor is not dumb. There are 3 things which suffer during your basic training - and consequently your entire career: feet, knees and back.
Although none of us are doctors on here, we have had questions about flat feet, scars and of course operations of various types.

*Which includes Leukemia :):ROFLMAO::whistle:

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Turkey
Hi Kotkata and welcome to the forum.
You will have a form to fill out before you even go into the doctors office which will ask you if you have had any operations, any deceases*, any broken bones etc. Contrary to what my learned friend Dusa may think ;), the doctor is not dumb. There are 3 things which suffer during your basic training - and consequently your entire career: feet, knees and back.
Although none of us are doctors on here, we have had questions about flat feet, scars and of course operations of various types.

*Which includes Leukemia :):ROFLMAO::whistle:
Thanks for your comment.
I should have an all clear paper on military career then. The scars should vanish with todays technology. But I'm not sure which would be better, I mean telling them a lie and increasing my chance to get accepted or tell them the truth and later on my career don't get punished for telling it and so on.
There is still a lot of time for me knock de door at Fort De Nogent, at least 2 years :)
I'm aware that you had your share with these questions yet you replied me with a friendly manner, so thank you!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Scars never disappear
Try your best but you will have to be honest as to why they are there
L.P.C.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Turkey
Scars never disappear
Try your best but you will have to be honest as to why they are there
L.P.C.
Ok, I should focus on getting fit for duty report and get that translated with MR and X-Ray records as well when I go then.
I feel that my chances are slim, but I will go for it anyway. Thanks!