Some Running Tips

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
1. Start out slow and warm up your legs, feet and body. You can kick it in later. Stretch as needed to avoid injuries.

2. Dress for the weather.

3. Stay hydrated early and often.

4. Keep your back straight and chest high on runs. Resist the urge to slouch as you tire.

5. Look ahead on the trail. Don’t watch your feet. Become cerebral and move with the terrain using your arms for balance.

6. Lean forward and shorten your stride on the uphill.

7. On the uphill maintain your cadence and drive forward.

8. Add fuel during the longer runs like trail mix with fatty oil nuts (walnuts).

9. On longer runs take a mid run break and stretch briefly. During Stoeng's program you eventually take a break mid way true a run to do some calisthenics, take a small amount to stretch your calves, quads, and hamstrings.

10. Control your breathing at all times with deep breathing.

11. Use your arms to propel you forward with compact swings.

12. Set reasonable goals and don’t get in over your head. If you have not ran in a while, do not try to run 25km simply because you use to be able to do it. Take small steps to get back into it.

13. Use your mind to help you work through discomfort and finish your workout.

14. Workout your core with sit-ups, flutter kicks, hanging legs raises etc. Core endurance is vital during long runs.

15. Wear good socks that are double lined to prevent blisters. Or wear two pair of thin socks.

16. Double tie your shoe laces to prevent them from loosening. You can also add a cords être to keep them together.

17. Wear trail running shoes a half size too big as your feet will swell on longer runs.

18. Don’t run too much too quickly in your training as you can develop shin splints from over training. Again, take small increments to improve. It will be beneficial in the long run. (pun :p)

19. Stretch you calves and feet before and after running to prevent common foot strains and problems.

A1200

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Greece
Am I doing all these wile I run?Well Im going to be stressed at my next long run,thanx a lot canadian :p

Mark HH

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
I usually put one leg in front of the other, works great for me

It's not rocket science

OP
CanadianFFL

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
I usually put one leg in front of the other, works great for me

It's not rocket science
Your right, but some of these just let you save energy so you can run longer, most of the rest is to avoid possible injuries problems.

SwampPearl

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
I am a runner myself and those tips are really useful, thank you! What would you advise on breathing? I usually breath through the nose and out through the mouth, back straight, head up.

OP
CanadianFFL

CanadianFFL

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
I am a runner myself and those tips are really useful, thank you! What would you advise on breathing? I usually breath through the nose and out through the mouth, back straight, head up.
Well I don't pay much attention to my breathing - it seems to happen naturally. But I noticed if the run is fairly easy, I just breathe in and out of my nose, but on more idficult runs where I need more oxygen I breath deeply true my nose and exhale trough mouth.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Well I don't pay much attention to my breathing - it seems to happen naturally. But I noticed if the run is fairly easy, I just breathe in and out of my nose, but on more idficult runs where I need more oxygen I breath deeply true my nose and exhale trough mouth.
One thing to remember is to exhale as completely you can to prevent carbon-dioxide build-up in you body. This would lead to shallow breathing and getting quicker exhausted.

Most viewed threads of the week