Something that bugs me once in a while.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Home Country
Canada
Often when I look at pictures (old and new) or video clips I see Legionnaires, NCO's and officers not having their hand formed for a proper salute.
Most of the time they keep their thumb crooked like a fish hook.
In my time they would nearly rip your thumb off for incorrect form.

It should be like in the picture, the thumb flat along the other fingers.
(just a little peeve of mine).

View attachment 5592
PS. The middle finger should touch the button of the kepi strap.

Last edited:

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Home Country
Netherlands
Just guessing that getting more and more integrated in the regular French army, rules are not so strict anymore. Not to mention physical punishment is no longer allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

loustic

Banned
Banned
Legionnaire
Home Country
Canada
"It is in the little details that the Devil makes his nest !"

In my time, a "bad" salute was a sure way to be punished. It was not a physical punishment, not a flogging as has been mentioned recently, simply a good old ‘Croatian bridge’ : the punished legionnaire was told to for a bridge with his body, using as only pillar his feet and his bare head. The hands had to be crossed behind the back. It was awful, especially when we were told to do it on a concrete floor !!!

We always saluted correctly, that was the great difference with "la régulière".

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Home Country
Sweden
I have seen guys salute with fingers ‘spread’ apart, all ranks. Me being the ‘Chef’, I corrected those legionnaires that had a hard time and bad habit, to get to do it the reglementary way, by showing them, my palm, before slapping them in the face, after that lesson, most got the hang.

Rapace

Home Country
France
That's correct Joe, a salut réglementaire should always be done with the straight thumb, same thing for the garde-à-vous (attention) station. However, in some ‘elite’ units (including Legion, but also Troupes de Marine), the crooked thumb is a way to ‘differentiate’ themselves from what they consider as ‘ordinary’ units. Saluting with spread fingers is typical of cavalry units, again, not réglementaire but also a way of differentiating themselves from the ‘pousse-cailloux’ (litterally stones pushers) or ‘biffins’, i.e. the Infantry... Depending on the commanding officers, those deviations from the standard may or may not be ‘tolerated’.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Home Country
Canada
Volt..is that your left hand!!!! Yes, I would agree...the discipline has become lax. I am sorry to see the Legion lower its standards of discipline to meet the demands of a weakened engager.
Yes, I because my right-hand is useless due to quadriplegia.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Home Country
Canada
That's correct Joe, a salut réglementaire should always be done with the straight thumb, same thing for the garde-à-vous (attention) station. However, in some ‘elite’ units (including Legion, but also Troupes de Marine), the crooked thumb is a way to ‘differentiate’ themselves from what they consider as ‘ordinary’ units. Saluting with spread fingers is typical of cavalry units, again, not réglementaire but also a way of differentiating themselves from the ‘pousse-cailloux’ (litterally stones pushers) or ‘biffins’, i.e. the Infantry... Depending on the commanding officers, those deviations from the standard may or may not be ‘tolerated’.
Thank you for the explanation. I can not remember if that was also practised in my time, however, if I were a CO, it would not be tolerated.

canuckroyal

Home Country
Canada
I'll be the first to admit my salute sucks. I've broken a number of fingers in my saluting hand and keeping the fingers closed isn't possible due to a number of my fingers being crooked.

Rapace

Home Country
France
Injuries can be accepted as a good reason for not saluting as per the rule.
Gen Alphonse Juin – who commanded the French Expeditionary Corps during the campaign of Italy in 1943-44 – was ‘allowed‘ to salute with his left hand, due to an old injury received to his right arm during WW1.

Most viewed threads of the week