South Africa to France: Visa & Stay Details

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Dusaboss,

I don't believe that you will ever join. You might approach the gates and then leave, subsequently claiming that you tried.

And my lady and I have been together since 1969.

As far as I am concerned you are not only worthless until you prove yourself, but asinine with it.
Totally concur with my esteemed colleague from the lean green fighting machine.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Dusaboss,

I don't believe that you will ever join. You might approach the gates and then leave, subsequently claiming that you tried.

And my lady and I have been together since 1969.

As far as I am concerned you are not only worthless until you prove yourself, but asinine with it.
I'm apologizing for mistake Chas. I read somewhere that you was divorced (obviously misread).

Anyway that should not be my business, but we (regulars) are some kind of friends (at least I see things that way) and is good to know something about each other.

Again sorry for mistake. Hopefully misunderstanding is solved quickly . I did not have intention to do any damage to you Chas.

Best wishes to you and to your miss and happy many years of marriage.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Dusaboss,

You believed in me before my last comment. :) In other hand Mark and Martin never did. ;)

I'm not that kind of man. That is really big and serious thing for me and I could not lie you or anyone else about it. To go all the way to the gate and then to turn back. No! That is unimagnal to me. Why would I do that?

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Duraboss. Until proved otherwise and you pass marche de kepi blanc. Then we will all know your in. Until then I will assume that your a keyboard wannabe

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
"Au temps pour moi" and "Shit or get off the pot." ??? Guys, can you explain these two expressions for me? Translate does not help much.

"Au temps pour moi" and "Shit or get off the pot." ??? Guys, can you explain these two expressions for me? Translate does not help much.
Shit or get off the pot = Fish or cut bait. :cool:
Edit: Okay, I'm sorry. I did not realize that English is not your native language. Both expressions mean a person should follow up their stated intentions with action. It is also used to urge someone to complete a task with a greater degree of efficiency or timeliness than is observed at the time the expression is used. Implicit in the expression is that the person, by failing to act, is preventing others from acting.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
L’expression « au temps pour moi » a pour origine le jargon militaire. En effet, l’injonction « au temps ! » est utilisée dans le cadre d’exercices militaires, de danse ou gymniques qui se font en plusieurs temps (« 1,2,3… et 1,2,3… » ou la célèbre expression « en deux temps, trois mouvements », par exemple). L’injonction « au temps ! » enjoint la personne à reprendre le mouvement au premier temps lorsqu’il a fait une erreur.

google translation :
The phrase "in time for me" originated in military jargon. Indeed, the injunction "at the time! "Is used in military, dance or gymnastic exercises that take place in several stages (" 1,2,3 ... and 1,2,3 ... "or the famous expression" in two steps, three movements " for example). The injunction "at the time! "Enjoins the person to resume the movement at the first time when he made a mistake.

Equivelent in latin (religious) mea culpa. But I don't think saying this to corporal will go down to well.

USMCRET

L’expression « au temps pour moi » a pour origine le jargon militaire. En effet, l’injonction « au temps ! » est utilisée dans le cadre d’exercices militaires, de danse ou gymniques qui se font en plusieurs temps (« 1,2,3… et 1,2,3… » ou la célèbre expression « en deux temps, trois mouvements », par exemple). L’injonction « au temps ! » enjoint la personne à reprendre le mouvement au premier temps lorsqu’il a fait une erreur.

google translation :
The phrase "in time for me" originated in military jargon. Indeed, the injunction "at the time! "Is used in military, dance or gymnastic exercises that take place in several stages (" 1,2,3 ... and 1,2,3 ... "or the famous expression" in two steps, three movements " for example). The injunction "at the time! "Enjoins the person to resume the movement at the first time when he made a mistake.

Equivelent in latin (religious) mea culpa. But I don't think saying this to corporal will go down to well.
Great one!

USMCRET

Shit or get off the pot = Fish or cut bait. :cool:
Edit: Okay, I'm sorry. I did not realize that English is not your native language. Both expressions mean a person should follow up their stated intentions with action. It is also used to urge someone to complete a task with a greater degree of efficiency or timeliness than is observed at the time the expression is used. Implicit in the expression is that the person, by failing to act, is preventing others from acting.
OUTSTANDING TRANSLATION, Irish!

USMCRET

Dusaboss, no one is ever fully ready for something they do not understand. Until they undertake the endeavor, one will not understand. You can read all the blogs, do a thousand push ups, do hundreds of pull ups, and run until you become part gazelle, what you imagine the Legion is, what I imagined the United States Marine Corps was, was not fully understood, appreciated, and mentally grasped until my feet were on the "Yellow Foot Prints" at Marine Corps Recruit Training Depot, San Diego, California. You can read all the books you can get your hands on and watch all the Legion movies and it will only prepare you for so much.

You and You alone have to experience it. We, the Greens and other Veterans like I am, were all in your shoes. The difference, we went and we earned a title no one can ever take away from us. I AM A UNITED STATES MARINE. I will be one until the day I die and then if you research the Marines Hymn, the last stanza states plainly:

"and if the Army and the Navy
EVER look on Heaven's scenes
they will find the streets
are guarded by UNITED STATES MARINES!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWwULJvVmcM

Dusaboss, this is what 13-weeks of Boot Camp is like in the Marine Corps. You cannot imagine the stress, you have to live it. The Legion will be no different, although they will apply stress it is in their unique and battle tested application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CniJKgIrpX4
I always enjoy watching Marine Corps boot camp videos.
You won't find anything like that in the Danish military basic training.

USMCRET

I always enjoy watching Marine Corps boot camp videos.
You won't find anything like that in the Danish military basic training.
That was a seven minute clip on Day one, seven minutes of what is done over 13-weeks. The only time it backs down is when the Recruits earn their Eagle, Globe, and Anchor (the Marine Corps Emblem). In the Legion I assume it is after the Kepi Blanc March

I am so glad, that as an insignificant individual, I survived WW2 and took the challenge of joining the finest Corps in the world. It will remain with me for what little time I have left.

The Corps turned boys into men. Achievers only were accepted.

So I am always disappointed when people continue to say, week after week, that they are going to enlist and never even make an attempt.

I regarded it to be LMF and also in military parlance 'crap'.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
As for this two expressions they are not same that's why I was confused .

Here it is nice explanation of "Au temps pour moi"

It's a way to apologize, without really asking for an apology or saying sorry.
«My mistake» or «my bad» are the closest translations.

Au temps pour moi indeed means "my bad" -- but the literal translation would be something like "At the time for me", which does not mean much at first glance.
The expression comes from (*) the military.
Imagine a drill instructors giving orders and the soldiers acting in synch. and on time.
If a soldier misses the beat / the time of the order, he would apologize saying, in essence "Wrong timing, my fault" ie "Au temps pour moi".

Most viewed threads of the week