a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa to France: Visa & Stay Details

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Chas, Marines for life!
Honor, Courage, and Commitment to God, Country, and Corps

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I am so glad, that as an insignificant individual, I survived WW2 and took the challenge of joining the finest Corps in the world. It will remain with me for what little time I have left.

The Corps turned boys into men. Achievers only were accepted.

So I am always disappointed when people continue to say, week after week, that they are going to enlist and never even make an attempt.

I regarded it to be LMF and also in military parlance 'crap'.

Chas, pay attention at around 20 seconds in. Dusaboss, even though this is a Marine Corps Clip I have no doubt it is the same for the Legion. "Highest Virtue, Obeys Orders, and Respects their Superiors."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns2FkZNTC0

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
USMCRET With all do respect to USMC I really don't understand routine of instructors in boot camps. I did already watched some of boot camps videos and i was confused.

First time whan I saw boot camp instructor it was in Hollywood movies and I thought that was over exaggerated, but turns out it was not.

I watched some documentaries where instructors have hoarse voice from all that screaming. And when I watch that I do not will sorry for candidates than for poor instructors! Those guys really putting their body and soul it to it. How much is that effective? I don't know, I heard stories from other marines that in your time USMCRET and earlier boot camps was much more effective than today.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Haha yeah those Drill Instructors are really dedicated to their job.
I still do feel sorry for the recruits though.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Haha yeah those Drill Instructors are really dedicated to their job.
I still do feel sorry for the recruits though.

You are quite right Hansenmann they are dedicated. They are responsable for the finsihed product. These men and women can find themselve on the front line with only their training to carry them through. I'm not saying that the training or learning ends at the pass out parade, but before you can put a sharp edge on your knife, you have to have a knife.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
USMCRET With all do respect to USMC I really don't understand routine of instructors in boot camps. I did already watched some of boot camps videos and i was confused.

First time whan I saw boot camp instructor it was in Hollywood movies and I thought that was over exaggerated, but turns out it was not.

I watched some documentaries where instructors have hoarse voice from all that screaming. And when I watch that I do not will sorry for candidates than for poor instructors! Those guys really putting their body and soul it to it. How much is that effective? I don't know, I heard stories from other marines that in your time USMCRET and earlier boot camps was much more effective than today.

Each generation of Marines and I'd venture to say Legionnaires all say "back when I was in boot camp or at the farm," previous generations always think they had it harder.

The stress they drop on the heads of the recruits is unbelievable and it has its place. Combat is stress pure and simple. They need to weed out the pretenders and only allow Marines or Legionnaires to graduate and earn the title which last for life.

To a certain point it is an act, a routine; however, do not confuse the routine, the act, and the seriousness for which they carry out their duties. Drill Instructors WILL BREAK EVERYONE and strip individuality and remold the recruits into real Marine and Legionnaires, they are deadly serious about this. Each DI takes an Oath from the Company Commander prior to commencement of training that platoon for the next 3-months. They live with you in the squad bay, they eat when you eat, and they will physically train with you and they will run your ass into the ground twice over.

Finally, when a drill instructor completes his three year tour of duty and he returns to the Fleet Marine Forces, their voices are forever altered. Their voices are raspy hoarse forever onward. I had to serve a tour of duty as a Marine Corps Recruiter and keep fresh bodies for the DIs to train.

Here is a short clip and it is related to the March for the Kepi Blanc, Marine Corps Version that is...however, it is the same. If you want to earn the Kepi or the Marine Corps Eagle, Globe, and Anchor you WILL COMPLETE THE FORCE MARCH! MARCH OR DIE!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You are quite right Hansenmann they are dedicated. They are responsable for the finsihed product. These men and women can find themselve on the front line with only their training to carry them through. I'm not saying that the training or learning ends at the pass out parade, but before you can put a sharp edge on your knife, you have to have a knife.

And that knife has to be beat and hammered into shape.

IrishHermit

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The stress they drop on the heads of the recruits is unbelievable and it has its place. Combat is stress pure and simple. They need to weed out the pretenders and only allow Marines or Legionnaires to graduate and earn the title which last for life.
How many, if any, recruits are weeded out of Marine boot camp? Is there a point when someone says that a certain recruit is not going to make it as a Marine, and gives him or her a discharge?

Thank you,
Tom

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
IrishHermit,

With the RM only 7 in 100 complete the whole programme from PRMC selection with their original squad. Several are injured and then go to the superb Hunter Troop medical facility to recuperate. The Army copied the RM medical facility for their recruits injured in training.

Our aspirants are weeded out at PRMC. The entry standard is severe. Even so some don't make the grade or leave of their own accord. Fortunately few of the latter.

In my day as long as you had a heart and lungs, 2 arms, 2 legs and were physically fit for you size they would accept you. Minimum height requirement was 5'6". Then it was up to the RM PTIs' and Drill Instructors to lick you into shape.

Chas. Trained by former WW2 Cdos. How on earth did I ever survive ? lol

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
How many, if any, recruits are weeded out of Marine boot camp? Is there a point when someone says that a certain recruit is not going to make it as a Marine, and gives him or her a discharge?

Thank you,
Tom

There is a failure rate mostly for injury and failure physically. The Marine Corps will "recycle the recruit back in training to a company that may be weeks behind." If they have the heart they will make it no mater how long it takes. It was almost 30-years ago for me and the numbers are hard to recall; however, we did drop recruits and we did pick-up recruits from companies further ahead in training than we were.

In one of the Legionnaire Documentaries I watched on You Tube the same occurred, I witnessed a recruit fail the March for the Kepi Blanc and he was set back in training and eventually he did earn the Kepi. It is like Chas said, if you have heart, lungs, arms, and legs and you do not give up on yourself they will get you there. There are Medical Rehabilitation Platoons and Physical Conditioning Platoons. If a recruit is hurt he will be rehabilitated and if a recruit cannot keep up they will be placed in a conditioning platoon.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Hurt my knee bad in camurac had to step away from the section I had joined and join a later intake. It happens. But I got through it.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
In one of the Legionnaire Documentaries I watched on You Tube the same occurred, I witnessed a recruit fail the March for the Kepi Blanc and he was set back in training and eventually he did earn the Kepi. It is like Chas said, if you have heart, lungs, arms, and legs and you do not give up on yourself they will get you there. There are Medical Rehabilitation Platoons and Physical Conditioning Platoons. If a recruit is hurt he will be rehabilitated and if a recruit cannot keep up they will be placed in a conditioning platoon.

Ye, looks like once when you pass selection only way to not become legionar is to get injured or to give up on you own. I don't know about this policy ... I don't think that every man who pass selection have to become legionar simply because of pertinacity wich is important ,but is not all that make good soldier. Also instructor (or anyone) can't expel you out of basics because you suck in every aspect that makes good soldier. Only if you make some serious violation of discipline.

If you fail to finish Képi Blanc march you can try again with next group. If you can't carry your backpack you comrade will help you. That good for team spirit and comradeship, but I don't like that practices also. You should be required to finish your Képi Blanc march with full equipment in order to become legionar! That march ain't nothing too hard and extreme. Some special force guys do it in one day ! (In legon you have 3 days). I should not blabbing too much before I finish my march. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

You have not even started so wind your neck in about the Kepi Blanc march.

By the way the final commando test is 30 miles across Dartmoor's rugged terrain in full fighting order + weapon. The weather is normally inclement. Marines have to self navigate the course with map and compass. Enlisted men must complete it in under 8 hours and officers in under 7. This is after one week in the field demonstrating all martial skills and with very little sleep.

Next morning after my 30 miler our DS sent us on another 20 mile yomp also timed and in full fighting order.

So now you know, why I tell you to wind your neck in, until you go within the week as previously indicated.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dusaboss,

By the way the final commando test is 30 miles across Dartmoor's rugged terrain in full fighting order + weapon. The weather is normally inclement. Marines have to self navigate the course with map and compass. Enlisted men must complete it in under 8 hours and officers in under 7. This is after one week in the field demonstrating all martial skills and with very little sleep.

Next morning after my 30 miler our DS sent us on another 20 mile yomp also timed and in full fighting order.

So now you know, why I tell you to wind your neck in, until you go within the week as previously indicated.

Unless one is a pack animal (or Sherpa) carrying a full load up and down hills, fire breaks, through sand, mud, and other terrain obstacles, one is ignorant as to what it takes.. Dusaboss, this would be you.

176607Mick

Unregistered
A place. Where we train. Similar to the ferme but not. I always remember the only out of the building was the pole you had to slide down from the classroom window.

176607Mick

Unregistered
During the instruction period whilst at castel? Don't you know this??

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
During the instruction period whilst at castel? Don't you know this??

Nope, I did not. Thanks for the clarification.
I never served in the Legion, only the United States Marine Corps, 20-years Active Duty.
I have an interest in the Legion, it is a very similar type of exclusive military Fraternity where there are few whom take up the challenge.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dusaboss,

For information about dartmoor, click on to ten tors. A tor is as big hill that juts out of th pleins, There's a geological reason but either way it's there. So When Chas talks about the 30 miler, it is far from a school boy cross counrty race.

If anyone wants to add a comment find out where oakhampton is and the ten tors. Note that you'll see dartmoor prison on the moors in Princetown and be disappointed, It's not that eerie.

176607Mick

Unregistered
Nope, I did not. Thanks for the clarification.
I never served in the Legion, only the United States Marine Corps, 20-years Active Duty.
I have an interest in the Legion, it is a very similar type of exclusive military Fraternity where there are few whom take up the challenge.

Ok mate, apologies I just keep presuming the people I am chatting to are ex legion. Camurac was a place were we would 'adventure training' skiing etc but it was more like the farm but with a slight smile and without the cd showers and waiting around outside in the snow wearing a very small towel whilst waiting for the Cpl to come down and tell you to shower. Flip flops and a towel in minus 10 degrees at 4am was sooo much fun