South African Potential working towards joining

Villion

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Good Day Gentlemen,

I am a 25 year old South African in the process of working myself into the fitness and knowledge required to join the Foreign Legion.

I have a couple questions that I hope some of you will be able to answer for me.

1) Is there a better time during the year to join in terms of getting the selection, basic training and posting to your regiment done in a quick process or is it the same throughout?

2) Are there any South African Legionnaires that had to get a letter from the MOD stating that they are not required for service or will I be able to just book my ticket , get my visa and come over.

3) I saw online that the Legion is recruiting 1300 new Legionnaires, is this normally the figure every year or is it an all time high?

4) I went through the list of what can medically board you from joining on foreignlegion.info and was wondering if besides those mentioned, there are any operations that they see as a no go to join the legion, such as leg,knee,back,brain,neck that they are fussy about like other militaries and if so, would it be best to bring proof from the doctor in South Africa that you are healed or should you bring enough money to have it checked out by a doctor over there if they require it?

and the last question.

5) Can you join Special Forces from the Legion after becoming a French Citizen?

Thank You kindly for your help and input. I appreciate it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Welcome to the forum Villion, as Nick says the questions have been asked and answered on the forum. click on the top right oblong box using key words. The only one I don't think that has been asked is No. 2 about needing a letter from the MOD. If your concern is about the legion requiring one then the answer is no. They are not interested in your commitments to your home country's military such as those countries that have conscription etc.

On a personal note I would say that anyone coming from a hot country such as SA may prefer to join at the beginning of summer. The French winter can be a big change from what you are used to. Saying that winter comes every year so either way you are going to get your share.

If you don't find the answers that you are looking for, post the question again, there is always someone who will know the answer except for medicale qustions which can be difficult for non qualified medicale people like ourselves.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Hello Villion,

First welcome on this forum and best wishes for selection.

I know from SA legionnaires that your country does not "like" its citizen going in the Legion : so just go and don't mention it to your military authorities. Many people from SA who tried the SA Army were not accepted, for stupid reasons I am not going to mention. They just came to the Legion, were selected and don't mention it to the SA authorities !

This year, there will probably be 1,700 (or 1,300 as you mention ?) new legionnaires, that's because the Legion needs more men. As of July, it will be back to the normal number of about 1,000 a year, for the replacements only.

Any other question for which you don't find the answer easily ? Don't hesitate and ask, via the forum or via a PM to one of the greens (the active duty or former legionnaires)

Presently, I am a former active duty legionnaire and a reservist.