a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sporting events.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Looks as though Japan's run into a bit of a set back for organizing the 2020 Olympics.

Japan's Olympics Minister Yoshitaka Sakurada has resigned over comments that offended people affected by a huge tsunami and earthquake in 2011.
What a bananier :p
"Mr Sakurada also admitted last year to never having used a computer, despite being Japan's cyber security minister. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47889356

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Not really a football fan, or soccer fan, if you prefer, I would like to share this with you about the Brit FA cup:

The Football Association are to scrap the tradition of awarding a case of champagne to the FA Cup winners out of respect for players' religious beliefs.

English football's governing body have a long held tradition of placing a case of bubbly in the winning dressing room on cup final day as a congratulatory gesture to the victors.

But following internal discussions the FA are abandoning the idea so not to offend players whose religious beliefs forbid alcohol use.

Source : Chas' favorite The Mail (on line).
So it seems that a minority will break the majorities traditions where alcohol is concerned. It doesn't seem to stop them playing footie on a Sunday (for Christians) and during the holy days of the other religions (Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Scientologists, you name it) Or for pocketing all that money.
For those who are interested the match is between Machester city and Watford both premier league teams to take place on 18 May.

So the question is what will the winning team get sent - a case of Pepsi or a case of coca cola.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Not really a football fan, or soccer fan, if you prefer, I would like to share this with you about the Brit FA cup:

The Football Association are to scrap the tradition of awarding a case of champagne to the FA Cup winners out of respect for players' religious beliefs.

English football's governing body have a long held tradition of placing a case of bubbly in the winning dressing room on cup final day as a congratulatory gesture to the victors.

But following internal discussions the FA are abandoning the idea so not to offend players whose religious beliefs forbid alcohol use.

Source : Chas' favorite The Mail (on line).
So it seems that a minority will break the majorities traditions where alcohol is concerned. It doesn't seem to stop them playing footie on a Sunday (for Christians) and during the holy days of the other religions (Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Scientologists, you name it) Or for pocketing all that money.
For those who are interested the match is between Machester city and Watford both premier league teams to take place on 18 May.

So the question is what will the winning team get sent - a case of Pepsi or a case of coca cola.
The lunatics have taken over.. It's like the schools here when they had Ramadan they asked Kids to eat in another area not in front of them. Also remember an idiot who was very aggresive coming in the Gym with his wife. Nö male Trainers to train my wife. I seriously wanted to punch the guy so we said and I mean it.. F*ck off get out.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
PC gone mad, Christians are legitimate targets, muslims are sacret, Islam is winning. But at least I did my bit to level the scores.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Rugby

Saracens (English side) losing by ten points to Leinster (Irish) until 1min before half time come back to win their third European cup (aka Heineken cup) in 4 years. At least they will have some Englishmen to choose from for their squad to play in the world cup in September.

Which is more than can be said for the other 'favorite' football clubs playing in the 2 soccer competitions. Of the four finalists 2 European and 2 Europa Cup All four are English clubs, there are only 9 of the 44 Line up which are English:unsure:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe,
4 teams too, all Brit to compete. First time ever and causing great chagrin to the Europeans. I doubt that it will ever happen again:D I much prefer rugby. You know the saying. " Football a game for gentlemen played by louts" and " Rugby a game for louts played by gentlemen."

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
4 teams too, all Brit to compete.
Hi Chas, I would like to stress, all English (3 London and 1 From Liverpool) Liverpool will play Tottenham in Madrid on the 2nd of June.
Chelsea Vs Arsenal on the 30th May - (The same day that England play South Africa on the opening day of the cricket world cup at The Oval) - in...Azerbaijan :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
To justify the latter, the organizers say that they cannot have any way of knowing which teams would qualify and that the lieu is chosen 2 years in advance.
I mean does anyone even know the name of a club form Azerbaijan, and if they do, what are the chances of them reaching the finals.:unsure:

While on the subject of footie, today is the last day of the English premier league. Very exciting; the race for the cup, One point separates the leaders Man city and Liverpool and today is the last day:eek:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Putin showing his judo.. He does watch competition judo and is seen at Events

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
While on the subject of footie, today is the last day of the English premier league. Very exciting; the race for the cup, One point separates the leaders Man city and Liverpool and today is the last day:eek:
Man City hold on to the Premiership title.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Was legionnaires (combats and képi) supporting the peloton as it went passed. ..for those who know the area, near the shooting ranges (C.T. 1) and the cross road towards Poulx
Am reading 35 ° C here in Nîmes

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Germany are playing N Ireland tonight. (football, soccer for you yanks ) ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Full-time results

Group C
Estonia 0-4 Netherlands
Northern Ireland 0-2 Germany

Group E

Hungary 1-2 Slovakia
Group G
Latvia 0-2 Macedonia
Poland 0-0 Austria
Slovenia 3-2 Israel

Group I
Russia 1-0 Kazakhstan
San Marino 0-4 Cyprus
Scotland 0-4 Belgium
International friendlies

Wales 1-0 Belarus
Under-21 qualifiers

England 2-0 Kosovo

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Anyone remember Nigel Benn, the boxer? if course you do, World Champion, is the best way to remember him, don't you think?
Well at 55 he is making a come back.
I was just glad when they managed to talk Frank Bruno (Another great fighter) out of making a fool of himself.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anyone remember Nigel Benn, the boxer? if course you do, World Champion, is the best way to remember him, don't you think?
Well at 55 he is making a come back.
I was just glad when they managed to talk Frank Bruno (Another great fighter) out of making a fool of himself.

Wish him all the best but... 🤔 he served in 2RRF i met his old sparring Partner who was still in the Battalion.