Strasbourg attack

Ratings
1,574 14 19
Home Country
North Korea
An individual (29 years old) opened fire and shot dead 2 persons and wounded 11 others, near where the Christmas market is held. “S-filed” and known for his radicalisation. The police had the intention to arrest him tomorrow morning, for a case of homicide.
An army patrol from Opération Sentinelle was in that sector at the time, opened fire and wounded the attacker who managed to escape. A sector of the city, where he might be hiding, is cordoned off.

Ratings
27 2
Home Country
Vatican City State
Another S class able to do something. Not going to look good on the intelligence, could have prevented deaths.

Hope they catch him soon and put an end to this.

I presume Sentinelle and Vigipirate are going to be extended now?

Ratings
1,574 14 19
Home Country
North Korea
The Christmas market has been told to close, by order of the Mayor. It reminds me of the Berlin Xmas attack in 2016. Lots of children visit this market and old age persons. The German police on the other side of the frontier is on alert. The European parliament, not far from the Place Kléber where the incident took place, are confined to the building. The Mayor reports 4 killed but am not sure, wait and see.
The Opération Sentinelle troops were equipped with FAMAS and I think they belong to a Cavalry regiment (silver stripes). The C.R.S. are equipped with HK. A large perimeter is closed and the attacker (wounded by a Sentinelle soldier) is surely somewhere in there. His home was searched this morning by police and grenades were found. The Ministère de l'Intérieur (Home Office) will soon make a public press statement.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
2,004 8 11
Home Country
New Zealand
Another S class able to do something. Not going to look good on the intelligence, could have prevented deaths.

Thanks le petit Caporal for alerting us to this. I've just been watching France 24, it's now officially three dead 12 injured 6 of which are considered in a critical condition.
As for being classed fichier S, there are thousands of them. There is talk of expulsing the foreigners who are on the fichier and the others to were ankle bracelets.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Ratings
64 1
Home Country
Finland
You are mistaken.

The fact that this guy, along with pretty much all of the others who have made these attacks, have been on the fichier S is a testament to how effective the intelligence is. Intel is not the problem in France.

The problem is on the political side, the law pretty much prevents any preemptive actions. They know that these guys have dodgy intentions but nothing is done before the bad guys make their move.

Ratings
1,574 14 19
Home Country
North Korea
He was shot in the arm making his get away,,,in a Taxi (Uber?)
A soldier has a hand wound (fire exchange?)
Crossed the canal bridge and forced the taxi driver on into the Quartier Neudorf
A hood known for it's large Salafists population
The taxi driver was told to pull up and the attacker set off on foot and the taxi driver was left to drive off
Was the Taxi driver an Uber and is he Arab?
How many rounds has he left. ..an exchange of fire between Police and Sentinelle, plus the rounds used on the civilians. ..conclusion : at least 3, 4,5,..or more chargeurs / mags ?
He is holed up in some ones appartement and has watched the Infos on T.V.
He knows for sure that we know who he is. ..
Conclusion : He will not want to be taken alive

Ratings
1,574 14 19
Home Country
North Korea

Yes and probably till after the Xmas holidays. Noticed here in Nîmes a strong presence of municipal Cops on the Avenue this morning.

Send in the BRI. Now all we need are RAID and GIGN. (...)
Over 350 of combined security elements are on zone

The CRS are busy these days. Source: BBC (...)
Kaleidoscope effect. Not that I think the terrorist intended using the chaos of the Yellow fluo protestation to commit his acts.
One thing for sure is there isn't going to be that many protesting this week end.

Ratings
1,574 14 19
Home Country
North Korea
One Thai tourist is among the 3 dead. No children amongst the casualities.
Extended search zone. 670 law enforcement officers (200 gendarmes and 470 policemen) are looking for him. It is not ruled out that he left France. The terrorist motivation attack is not yet established. France declares state of “urgence attentat”... something contradictory there.

Add : Only 2 dead
Add : 8 mm caliber was used (not common) collector's stuff.

I believe that the mayor of Strasbourg has forbidden any form of demonstrations for the time being.
Aye, it's quite well dealt with nowadays. Last night, several kilometres away, was a basket ball match with several thousand spectators. Once the alert was given a confinement rule was applied. Hospitals and urgence services have a “plan blanc” to follow.

Ratings
1,574 14 19
Home Country
North Korea
Cherif C. is his name (no photo of him has been issued). He spent recently 2 years in prison in Germany for robbing a chemist. The Thai tourist was shot at close range in the head. A young French lad tried to do a CPR, to no avail. The Procureur de la République of Paris (Paris Public Prosecutor) is going to give a press conference soon.

Add : 2 dead and 1 brain dead, say's the Prosecutor

Ratings
27 2
Home Country
Vatican City State
You are mistaken.

The fact that this guy, along with pretty much all of the others who have made these attacks, have been on the fichier S is a testament to how effective the intelligence is. Intel is not the problem in France.

The problem is on the political side, the law pretty much prevents any preemptive actions. They know that these guys have dodgy intentions but nothing is done before the bad guys make their move.
I see, it is being unable to take action. It is a shame that intelligence agencies and police will likely take the fall and blame for being unable to prevent it.

Most viewed threads of the week