a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Struggling to get the Schengen visa as an Indian

James Russell

Reaction score
Home Country
India
I desperately wish to join the Foreign Legion but the consulate demands confirmed return tickets, hotel bookings, financial status, employment etc. to confirm that I have something to return back to my country. If I book everything and still get my visa rejected I stand at a loss of considerable amount of money. Other options are joining a university in France to get the student visa which is also a costly affair or if someone in France takes me as an "au pair".

Currently I volunteer at an NGO at minimum wage, so I don't get any pay slips and my bank account is dormant. While the consulate requirements for funds on its website are as follows:
    • Supporting documents of personal income: copy of bank statements of the last 3 months, copy of income Tax Departement Return + ITR V acknowledgment of the previous financial year, and for employees : 3 last salary slips / for person owning a company : certificate of registration of the company (Form B, rule 5(1) or Form ST3, rule 11). If aplicable, supporting documents of sponsoring and of personel income of the sponsor.
  • Socio-professional situation
    • Proofs of the professional situation (employment contract, work certificate, pay slips, proof of pension) or any document relating to the applicant's
    • personal links in the country of residence.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So, you're not willing to sacrifice a couple Euros for the opportunity to join the legion?

I'm just wondering what the question is here...

If this post is rude feel free to delete it and I'll take it as a warning.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Alright James?

I’ve no experience in visa application from India. However if possible why not get a quote from the airline you are travelling with and use that quote in your application rather than buying an actual ticket. So you will show the visa agency this is how much a ticket costs and I have the said funds in my account to make the purchase once visa is granted. Alternatively get travel insurance that covers visa application/rejection so should your application be denied you can get your money or a significant portion of it back.

South Africans have an option to say the reason for travel to France is to join the FFL on the visa application process/form I’m not sure if that option is available for India. Also for SAns you have an option to travel as a University student so in place of an employment letter you can submit a letter from your university.

I know at least two guys from India serving in the Legion so getting a visa is not impossible. Maybe get a stable job for the next eight months or so, that way you’ll have the documentation you need. Or register at a university and during midterm take a trip to France if you get rejected you can go back home and continue with university and if you get accepted than Robert is your mother’s brother!

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I desperately wish to join the Foreign Legion but the consulate demands confirmed return tickets, hotel bookings, financial status, employment etc. to confirm that I have something to return back to my country. If I book everything and still get my visa rejected I stand at a loss of considerable amount of money. Other options are joining a university in France to get the student visa which is also a costly affair or if someone in France takes me as an "au pair".

Currently I volunteer at an NGO at minimum wage, so I don't get any pay slips and my bank account is dormant. While the consulate requirements for funds on its website are as follows:
    • Supporting documents of personal income: copy of bank statements of the last 3 months, copy of income Tax Departement Return + ITR V acknowledgment of the previous financial year, and for employees : 3 last salary slips / for person owning a company : certificate of registration of the company (Form B, rule 5(1) or Form ST3, rule 11). If aplicable, supporting documents of sponsoring and of personel income of the sponsor.
    • Proofs of the professional situation (employment contract, work certificate, pay slips, proof of pension) or any document relating to the applicant's
It`s a problem that only money can solve however I know the pay in India is very very low so you are stuffed unless you can borrow the money from family / friends? you would be able to pay them back if are accepted by the Legion.
One bit of advise , whilst I would not mention the Legion I would not lie to the immigration authorities , they are very good at working out the truth , DO NOT TRAVEL WITH EDUCATIONAL CERTIFICATES or anything that may make immigration believe you are in Europe to work illegally or you will be sent home the same day, no refund on the tickets, also dont have messages on you phone wishing you good luck with your new life in the Legion, immigration will read them.

James Russell

Reaction score
Home Country
India
So, you're not willing to sacrifice a couple Euros for the opportunity to join the legion?

A couple of euros is my entire family's total savings in the bank. In the light of the immigration crisis the consulate are very fussy about giving the visa to '3rd world".

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

Is not rude but it's out of touch. In some parts of world people earning about few bucks per day. You can't compare his expenses and someone's from coming West Europe. And he also have to travel much longer distance.

Having that in mind understand how complicated that trip could be for someone.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't know if they still do it but there used to be places you could book by phone that you paid when you got there instead of before hand. Also, if you have the ability to use travel booking sites, a lot of them offer "insurance" to get your money back if you're not going to stay there.

I apologise, I had just come back from one of Stoeng's rucks and was irritated because it seemed like he had the money, he just didn't want to risk it.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
James, thanks for sharing the predicament you're in. I'm an indian too, living, working in India. As you have discovered, its not cheap to to travel overseas, and trying to become a Legionnaire will require many things, money included. This is why wannabes (Such as myself) are trying to save enough money, get fit before the knock on the door.
On a side note, its not nice to see a follow countryman calling India '3rd world'. Just saying.

James Russell

Reaction score
Home Country
India
So then I guess you are not volunteering. :) What is minimum wage where you are? What you do? What NGO?
I work as a superintendent at an orphanage cum boarding school run by a charity organisation close to Mumbai. I basically take care of the housekeeping, purchasing and maintenance departments. I get paid a little less than $170 usd. It's enough for me to survive. I get paid in cash while the consulate demand a payslip and bank statements. Not that I hate the work I do or my life here just that I want to go out of my comfort zone, travel the world, gain experiences that only Legion can offer and grow as a person. I am not going to the legion the money, but it's times like these when one realises how important your final status has become to be a part of the system.

James Russell

Reaction score
Home Country
India
James, thanks for sharing the predicament you're in. I'm an indian too, living, working in India. As you have discovered, its not cheap to to travel overseas, and trying to become a Legionnaire will require many things, money included. This is why wannabes (Such as myself) are trying to save enough money, get fit before the knock on the door.
On a side note, its not nice to see a follow countryman calling India '3rd world'. Just saying.
I put it in quotes facetitiously.

You have the right plan.

Powojskowemu

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland

Seems like a more how to immigrate in Europe problem than something else to me.

I suggest you to find good, trustworthy contacts in Europe from indians who already live and work there first, so at least you will have a roof under to sleep there before so then you can go to France...if is a money problem.

Or even just send some curriculum vitae for working positions in coutries like Germany, check websites like Eures, Indeed or Xing. You speak English and you work in a ONG so I think some skills for them there can be useful (for example helpdesk stuff). So once your leg is there, working, whatever then you decide if joining is still your goal.

Also think that you must have double the money. The money to go there and the money to come back, since being accepted or not is something that you do not know.

Always plan for what expences you will have FIRST (food, rent in particular).

Good luck.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Where there is a will there's a way !
Use your minimal ressources and you might be fine
Bare in mind, nowt is guarented in life
Have a plan B?
Said,with some kind of sympathy
Post Shitum
My trip to the Legion can be compared to few (just saying)