Swimming test?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Vietnam
hello how far should i swim for the FFL sport test? I saw it 25m minimum on FFL page but someone told it was 50m and another even 100m. And what's the time limit for the swimming test? Thank you!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Minh, as always I suppose it depends on the recruiters. In my Opinion, they are mainly looking to see if the person is afraid of water. When I say afraid, I mean that the person is not frightened to venture out of 'foot on the ground' depth. The idea is that that if someone is willing to jump in at the deep end and will at least try and make it to the other side, he can be be taught to swim. If someone is not even willing to try, then there is no point.
From all reports, you have to be able to do 100m and 10m under water at the end of instruction. There is some really ridiculous time for it, which is like giving someone 100m (land) test in under a minute.
When you get to your regiment you will more than likely have the same test -swimming.

OP
M
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Vietnam
Thank you for letting me know. I am not afraid of water but at the moment can swim that deep, most of the time I swim in the city swimming pool which is somewhat shallow. Thanks for the info!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
In that case just keep practicing your lengths. Concentrate your your turns

Unless you are a good swimmer, there is no need to perform flip or tumble turns. The breast stroke turn is the easiest official turn to learn, however that is for official competitions. For your hundred metres turns you only have to touch the wall with one hand, whether you are doing crawl or breast stroke.
When you are within touching distance, start pulling your knees up to your chest and turning at the same time. once your hand has touched the wall lower your body below the surface and bring your hands together on top of each other (as opposed to your fists, i,e, not your fists)
then push out strongly with your legs and glide through the water just below the surface. The whole movement should be fluid. This will help you gain valuable seconds in a race. You should practice this as much as possible.
For swimming under water, that will be for another lesson. ;) (if anyone is interested that is.)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Thank you for letting me know. I am not afraid of water but at the moment can swim that deep, most of the time I swim in the city swimming pool which is somewhat shallow. Thanks for the info!
Pools are great and all, but nothing compared to swimming in a lake. The knowledge that a lifeguard is not around to save your life should you drown is a great motivator to swim well.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Sweet water makes you a better swimmer than the salt one. Water is colder, visibility is worse (rivers), currents are stronger. Lack of salt makes it harder to float.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
For the moment those going to join should concentrate on the pool test. That is if you are not a strong swimmer.
Sweet water
That's Fresh water. I'm not mocking, it's just that here in Thailand they advertise tasteless showers as opposed to seawater showers. Some even go as far as to mention that the showers are fitted with a lotus flower - shower head:)

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Im very grateful I learned to swim from a young age, I used to be sh$te scared of deep water though, till my one mate invited me to go deepwater spear fishing. I love it now. Swimming is more about being comfortable in the water, the more you panic the quicker things go bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Here in Australia swimming is taught in all schools at a young age. Learn to swim, you are never too old.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
It's compulsory in french primary schools
My son did all the tests etc
I moved here in 2014 and dumped a load of stuff (travel light is my motto)
Any way, first thing the Sgt Chef recruiter told him to bring for his incoperation tests in Bordeaux, was proof of his swimming abilities
He goes on the 8 th April
He went to the municipal pool and got tested by the pool guard / gave him an attestation

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Egypt
If you're 170 cm like me and the pool is just even 180 deep and you can float in it, then you're good to go. Whether the pool is 5 meters deep or just 180 deep it doesn't matter you're still out of your height. same effort you spend in both of them to float. It's all psychological for me. Also, swimming is like an all round exercise. One of the very few exercises that generally improve your overall physique. In my opinion, nobody needs nothing more than running, swimming, pull-ups and push-ups. They nearly cover every and each muscle in your body. I swim breast-strokes and freestyle plus underwater ever since I was 12.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Estonia
Bonsoir !
Does the Legion have some limits you must to dive or approve in diving ? Meters?
In any continent and weather, in any conditions, lakes and rivers? I keep realistic, pools are for ....es .
All information truly welcome !

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Swim 10 meters under water (5 @ 7 breast strokes, depending on your stature, approx)
All done in in door swimming pools (during basic training)
Once passed instruction, you may go on to something else..Dinops or such (We are army)

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Vietnam
thank you for all the help here! very good information

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
You will be asked to swim 10 meters almost immediately after 100m. As I have previously said you have plenty of time so use it. When you touch the wall for the last time take 3 deep breaths and on the 3 hold it and then let half of it out. Crouch up against the well (kinda like a spring) below the surface and push hard with your legs and let yourself glide though the water, When you start to lose momentum then do one breast stroke making sure that your body is stream lined, and let your self glide through the water. You must keep your head facing downwards. 1. because it means less resistance in the water. 2. If you lift your head your neck muscles will put pressure on your carotids slowing down the flow of blood (containing oxygen to the brain).
If you have access to a swimming pool try it. Even better, I see that some of you are not going until the end of the year, why not join a life savers club? The legion has their own of course but you will have the advantage of knowing how to tow a dummy (plastic or real :)) etc. Of course it's like the driving, even though you can drive you still have to do stage frac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Vietnam
thanks for such great knowledge, Joseph, I will do more research about this matter, the whole time I only do freestyle swim and keep my head upward and it really make me feel exhausted fast.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Here in Australia swimming is taught in all schools at a young age. Learn to swim, you are never too old.
We got tought at stirling University.. I got kicked into The Pool. I soon learned the doggy paddle.. 😆 Was good once i learned. The school made sure you learned.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Remember standing at The side of the Pool said i aint going in there, instructor, ok nö probs. He went behind me kicked me in the ass. Pushed me in. True... Mind you it cured my fear. I had nö choice. 😆 No Rubber armbands either.. Haha

OP
M
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Vietnam
just suck in all the air and it will make your body float and let the wind push you 😆