a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teeth question

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hi guys i have ask 1 question.I know FRL want healthy teeth (No caries on teeth) but 10 years ago my upper tooth is broken in fight :D its a little piece of tooth is gone, its HEALTHY no caries I dont want to fix that because its bigger piece of this thooth have to ''process'.

korisnik

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
1 teeth isent a problem if no caries and stuff on their site it seys you can have maximum 4 teeth missing

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
1 teeth isent a problem if no caries and stuff on their site it seys you can have maximum 4 teeth missing

Are you sure it says "4?" In my book (of lived tales) it were: mastication Equal to 40% or higher. I will make the chart later on, so you all can have fun checking how many teeth you have out of 100%. @MatriXa, Welcome. A chipped tooth, can be disqualifying, 'as tooth needed to get repaired.' Travelling all that way, get turned down because of a chipped tooth. Your choice.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Guys, you have to be in perfect health, which includes teeth. The legion doctor (not dentist) will take one look and put you down as inapt. To go overseas you have to have a clean bill of health inclucing teeth. There's no way that they will allow you to join if you are not able to be deployed overseas. Don Pedro sums it up when he says it's a long way to go to get turned down because of a chipped tooth.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Guys i have 1 friend ( 2 years ago go in Legion) with same problem, but he past medical test ..

My personal doctor(teeth) says- NO problem , only smile problem :D because that upper tooth is not chewy food tooth

( if i fix this tooth need big part remove no make any sanse for that)

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
The Legion guys are recommending you get your tooth fixed, your dentist says 'no problem'. If you dentist had some experience at enlistment in the Legion his opinion would carry a little more weight. If you have already made up your mind, why did you ask?

Take your chances but if you are going to gamble, maybe you're really not that set on enlistment in the Legion, anyways, good luck your enlistment.

Last edited:

The Phoenix

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Guys, you have to be in perfect health, which includes teeth. The legion doctor (not dentist) will take one look and put you down as inapt. To go overseas you have to have a clean bill of health inclucing teeth. There's no way that they will allow you to join if you are not able to be deployed overseas. Don Pedro sums it up when he says it's a long way to go to get turned down because of a chipped tooth.

Doesn't the Legion have a dentist on hand to do dental inspection? Is it just a normal Dr who just takes a look at them?

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Guys i have 1 friend ( 2 years ago go in Legion) with same problem, but he past medical test ..(...)

That my friend, was 2 years ago, Doctors changes, but the criterias (requirements) changes very little... ;) Anyway, your headache, not ours.

Doesn't the Legion have a dentist on hand to do dental inspection? Is it just a normal Dr who just takes a look at them?

There's no need for being a qualified dentist, to count and see if teeth are in good shape or bad, the recruiting personnel does this following the requirements. the Doctor, does the same, for those that pass infront of him, that haven't been turned down (before,because teeth problem(s) ).

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
The medical requirements haven't changed but it will end up being a matter of opinion of the doctor doing your examination on that day. It could be a matter of the doctor's mood, while he's a professional he might have had a great cup of coffee or a fight with his wife and a crappy cup of coffee. No system is perfect, just because one guy got in with your specific problem, doesn't guarantee that you will get in. The opinions shared on this forum are there to help you, take them or leave them.

Two guys show up for only one position in the same physical shape, with the same qualifications, but one guy has a broken tooth. 12 months down the road, the guy is deployed on operation overseas. Which guy would you pick? Your tooth might never give you a problem but the Legion isn't picking 1 guy out of 2, they're picking 1 guy out of 10.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hi guys i have ask 1 question.I know FRL want healthy teeth (No caries on teeth) but 10 years ago my upper tooth is broken in fight :D its a little piece of tooth is gone, its HEALTHY no caries I dont want to fix that because its bigger piece of this thooth have to ''process'.

My advice : have all your remaining teeth in perfect shape, so have the broken one fixed. The broken none could have caries more easily and the FFL doctor wil not want to take the risk : they have enough healthy candidates !

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
The medical requirements haven't changed but it will end up being a matter of opinion of the doctor doing your examination on that day. It could be a matter of the doctor's mood, while he's a professional he might have had a great cup of coffee or a fight with his wife and a crappy cup of coffee. No system is perfect, just because one guy got in with your specific problem, doesn't guarantee that you will get in. The opinions shared on this forum are there to help you, take them or leave them.

Two guys show up for only one position in the same physical shape, with the same qualifications, but one guy has a broken tooth. 12 months down the road, the guy is deployed on operation overseas. Which guy would you pick? Your tooth might never give you a problem but the Legion isn't picking 1 guy out of 2, they're picking 1 guy out of 10.

I know medical test is first test in Legion, how exactly you sure (doctor sure) my shape in pull ups and runn ?

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I know medical test is first test in Legion, how exactly you sure (doctor sure) my shape in pull ups and runn ?

When you enter, at least in my time, they don't even ask for your name : a CPL told me and the others to do pull ups. I did four and he stopped me, saying that now the enlistment procedure could start. The same was done for my comrades. One of us did not do his pull ups satisfactorily and was immediately sent out to the civil world. I don't even know his name, nor does the Legion probably !

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
When you enter, at least in my time, they don't even ask for your name : a CPL told me and the others to do pull ups. I did four and he stopped me, saying that now the enlistment procedure could start. The same was done for my comrades. One of us did not do his pull ups satisfactorily and was immediately sent out to the civil world. I don't even know his name, nor does the Legion probably !

Yes,i hear about it .Proably summer time, and maybe is Legion be full ''players'' that day..

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered

De ja vu 1984 at Fort de Norgent did four like you and the caporal said stop, and then started the paperwork.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Yes,i hear about it .Proably summer time, and maybe is Legion be full ''players'' that day..

It was in January and the Fort de Nogent was not full of candidates EV !

But after all, believe who and what you want. Especially if you discard the advices from ex-legionnaires or active duty legionnaires

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
It was in January and the Fort de Nogent was not full of candidates EV !

But after all, believe who and what you want. Especially if you discard the advices from ex-legionnaires or active duty legionnaires

In new documentary movie 2015- all players before go in there , forcing them make pull ups.

Yes i gonna fix my tooth before i go.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
UPDATE

What exactly mean -( mastication Equal to 40% or higher.)

How to know how much % is my ?

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
UPDATE

What exactly mean -( mastication Equal to 40% or higher.)

How to know how much % is my ?
As you all may not know, an adult has normally 32 teeths, 16 in the upper row and 16 in the jaw. This is 100% (2x50%=100%). The teeth are numbered from the molar to the incisiors 8 to 1. Each tooth has a value, from 1 to 5, 5 being the highest value, thus the most important teeth(s), 1 the less 'important'. Following a simple to understand chart. You count (the value) those you have, addition (+), then those missing (the value), then substract those missing (-) from the 100% and you have your result. If you have 40% or over, then you are ok, but anyway a dentist need to check for caries and decay and fix the problems, that could disqualify.
Up: 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1_1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 = 16 teeths
Value: 2 5 5 3 3 4 1 2_2 1 4 3 3 5 5 2 = 2x25%= 50%

Jaw: 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1_1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 = 16 teeths
Value 3 5 5 3 3 4 1 1_1 1 4 3 3 5 5 3 = 2x25%= 50%

Rozman

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
And having a denture fitted where the missing teeth means no loss of points? Am I correct :)