a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test psychotechnique - need your help

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Haha, it's well known that the legion is a well trained tough group
yes but not all on the same level. The NCO´s but i doubt very much if the guys under that all really understand French.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I can imagine that is the case for alot of them, that's why I'm studying it now. Not knowing french I'm sure will hold a person back from chances of growth and going on courses etc, need to know the language for more responsibility. Besides if you want to serve France you must put in the time to learn the language

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
what is tough..? look at some of the Legions campaigns. Very brave but not winners. Why is this? I wrote before the Grand Father of my wife had a friend who was also ex German Army in Russia. He said why should i die for France? he served like jonny in Indochina.

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I'm sure there are alot of perspectives on the legion and military as a whole, times are very different from years past so I don't compare today with them, the past is more of a tell tale sign of what one could expect. And your end results personally will be from choices you made at some point.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure there are alot of perspectives on the legion and military as a whole, times are very different from years past so I don't compare today with them, the past is more of a tell tale sign of what one could expect. And your end results personally will be from choices you made at some point.
like anything else they change with the times but if you want to be an NCO then you can show some character later on, old school style but alas...even the Legion has to watch what they are doing. when i look at videos of Adj Chef Lopez in the jungle training..yes i have respect for guys like him.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
yes but not all on the same level. The NCO´s but i doubt very much if the guys under that all really understand French.
You learn Legion French, but if you want to do the fun Stages and have a better chance of promotion, make sure your French is on point. The way we fight has changed, more technical, drones, cyber, robots...less bayonet charges. From day one you will be spoken to and given orders in French, rather learn a bit and appear competent , than look like a "fud" with your finger up your bum.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Which part of the psychotechnique and logic tests did you struggle with?

I breezed through mine pretty well when I was there. I can offer my advice and suggestions on where you struggle.

If it's maths, there is not a lot I can tell you; you need to learn maths.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Which part of the psychotechnique and logic tests did you struggle with?

I breezed through mine pretty well when I was there. I can offer my advice and suggestions on where you struggle.

If it's maths, there is not a lot I can tell you; you need to learn maths.
Surely it must just be basic stuff? Aint gonna be rocket science. However some Tests ask a question so you've got to figure How to solve the problem yourself like know How to calculate it. Not a Set sum to solve. Some don't have the aptitude to think about it. Well you are the guy to help him as you did it recently 👍

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Surely it must just be basic stuff? Aint gonna be rocket science. However some Tests ask a question so you've got to figure How to solve the problem yourself like know How to calculate it. Not a Set sum to solve. Some don't have the aptitude to think about it. Well you are the guy to help him as you did it recently 👍
Surprising many people fail the tests.

One guy failed test on the gate.
For the main tests two before me, three guys in my wave, two on the wave after me.

I expected more people to fail the fitness, but the mental tests gets many of them before they even get a chance.
Some of the puzzles are difficult for people who can't imagine perspectives and simulate shapes or objects.

Pattern recognition and small details and angles. Birds eye, third person, and map bearing abilities.
Not something to stress about; you only need to pass the test.

But it's worth sitting down for a few minutes to fold paper, learning to read maps, and perspectives. It will help your brain process it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Surprising many people fail the tests.

One guy failed test on the gate.
For the main tests two before me, three guys in my wave, two on the wave after me.

I expected more people to fail the fitness, but the mental tests gets many of them before they even get a chance.
Some of the puzzles are difficult for people who can't imagine perspectives and simulate shapes or objects.

Pattern recognition and small details and angles. Birds eye, third person, and map bearing abilities.
Not something to stress about; you only need to pass the test.

But it's worth sitting down for a few minutes to fold paper, learning to read maps, and perspectives. It will help your brain process it.
Yeah... I mean i might have blown it too... 😆 Shapes & Puzzles blow my mind.. But I have always manage to Pass. Some people just flap & rush it. Maybe later when they understand it they think f@ck sake it aint hard. Remember doing my End exams here. I just took my time made sure i read IT twice. Still passed even in a foreign language. 😆 Just got to take your time. Even timed Tests take the full time.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I think navigation is very important so going to learn as much as I can about it before I leave, getting it wrong could end a mission get people killed etc. A basic understanding of it isn't enough, especially if must be done at night unable to make out land marks properly. And keeping track of position. I think better to know as soon as possible
Join an orienteering club or just go to the meetings.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Join an orienteering club or just go to the meetings.
THIS... maybe get someone to take you one to one around a course & show you it so you really understand it. I remember the OPs in the Artillery always used 8 figure grid References. I mean for us "Gun Bunnies" 6 was OK when moving :)

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Well that's what we will be doing I will learn the terrain during training then when we get to the map it will be easier to understand what I'm looking at, they are going to plot routes with check points I must go thru so I'm sure it will be okay. The week will be normal training then longer stuff over weekends, marching and nav exercises, I don't know everything they have planned for me they won't tell me.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Well that's what we will be doing I will learn the terrain during training then when we get to the map it will be easier to understand what I'm looking at, they are going to plot routes with check points I must go thru so I'm sure it will be okay. The week will be normal training then longer stuff over weekends, marching and nav exercises, I don't know everything they have planned for me they won't tell me.
sounds a great plan bro... really is a bonus to know map reading. won´t make the Elite Cavalry without it Bro.. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
If I get thru sélection I'm going to go for the best I can. Obviously I will need approval etc from the superiors, not sure what route I want to take but I'm sure once basics is finished I will have gotten enough info from the guys at the legion