a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test psychotechnique - need your help

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If I get thru sélection I'm going to go for the best I can. Obviously I will need approval etc from the superiors, not sure what route I want to take but I'm sure once basics is finished I will have gotten enough info from the guys at the legion
yeah i like the Cavalry but they are all good i´m sure. Engineers..etc. like i wrote make sure you do some night navigation because i´m sure you will do this in your training. you want to stand out in a positive way. i remember when i transferred to the Royal signals in the British army they had Technicians who were promoted because of trade. I had to take over the section on an Infantry exercise. The Tech NCO Had no clue about anything map reading ...etc.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I did orienteering as my hobby/sports Saturday morning's as a junior soldier. Night orienteering and even in the snow once. Not as easy as you might expect in the snow. Lots of false tracks leading to no-where. Even worse is if you where 3rd onwards to set off. Tracks everywhere and of course not everyone had the same course.
We went to some civilian meetings also.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I did orienteering as my hobby/sports Saturday morning's as a junior soldier. Night orienteering and even in the snow once. Not as easy as you might expect in the snow. Lots of false tracks leading to no-where. Even worse is if you where 3rd onwards to set off. Tracks everywhere and of course not everyone had the same course.
We went to some civilian meetings also.
I always found my way to the cook house in any weather Joe 😆

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Which part of the psychotechnique and logic tests did you struggle with?

I breezed through mine pretty well when I was there. I can offer my advice and suggestions on where you struggle.

If it's maths, there is not a lot I can tell you; you need to learn maths.
Sup mate?
I failed in the middle part of the test(the computer offcourse) if i don't wrong it passed over a since my attempt , it wasn't the math offcourse hope you know which kind i mean ..
Btw we tested approxamiltely 10-15 canadidated and 3 of us failed
Sorry guys i just answering to the thread , it's because too much headach and lack of sleep :sleep:

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Sup mate?
I failed in the middle part of the test(the computer offcourse) if i don't wrong it passed over a since my attempt , it wasn't the math offcourse hope you know which kind i mean ..
Btw we tested approxamiltely 10-15 canadidated and 3 of us failed
Sorry guys i just answering to the thread , it's because too much headach and lack of sleep :sleep:
If you have some wooden blocks (childrens toys) it may help.

You need to imagine what buildings and objects and such look like from different angles.

For a start you need to figure out what angle, what perspective are you looking at.

Are you looking south? North? East? West?

Then you need to look at the colours, the shapes, the positions, what visible, what is covered, what can be seen, can't be seen.

Here is something I made as an example in the last 15 minutes with what I remember about the puzzles.

I'll see if I can find some toys or shapes or a program to simulate the map perspective and the reverse of the puzzle.

As you can see, it can only be looking east or west. In our case it is clearly looking east because none of the examples make sense if you look west.

After you figure this out, you need to figure which blocks colours match.

The big block must be red, the small cube must be red, the long block must be black.

And the long block is covering the other two red blocks.

So you eliminate the impossible ones in your head, and find the one that is correct and ticks all of the requirements.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Thanks alot , difiently helpul
seems kinda complicated yet ,it would be great if anybody will turn a proper guide anywhere , i'm sure it must be exist on web

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State

Here is an example of the "box net" puzzle.

Try to figure it out, and tell me which one it is.

There is a PDF of some psychometric questions, but I warn you the PDF is old and about 80% of it is oudated.

The new legion tests are made using some sort of 3D program now.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
The correct should be the second right?

These kind of question have many materials to prepare , the part is important and theres any source that might prepare you for it...

Did you been at aubagne?
I've been at fontenay when i back to israel i find out on the official website that you required to swim . They didn't say nothing about it at FDN

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Tittos,
the swimming subject has been discussed quite a bit on here. Yes, you do need to know how to swim, or at least capable of showing that you are not afraid of water.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
I got you Joe , thank you
Do you think i can come little bit in matter of weeks before the 18 month i failed?
they don't gave papers..

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If you know how to swim, you do not need papers of any kind. ..you show your worth
Learn to swim, if not and learn french in between time. .
Jeeze !
7 pull ups and 7 on the Luc Léger, okay
You got it?

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Sorry mate, I didn't understand your question.

I mean , let's say , i did the test in X date, i.e 13.2.18 and my cpl signed on a doc when out of the base and stated that i can come again after 18 month (that's what he said when singed on docs in french).
So i meant if can come again in a date in august 2019 or it's a risk?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'd say that as soon as you have gotten your IQ tests squared away and that you are sure that you will get more than the required score for being accepted, then go for it !
Tell them a white lie that you understood that you were told to come back when you could pass the IQ tests.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
I'd say that as soon as you have gotten your IQ tests squared away and that you are sure that you will get more than the required score for being accepted, then go for it !
Tell them a white lie that you understood that you were told to come back when you could pass the IQ tests.

I'll put it in my consideration , doing my best to improve it , thank you

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I got you Joe , thank you
Do you think i can come little bit in matter of weeks before the 18 month i failed?
they don't gave papers..
If they said 18 months, it would be best not to go before that time is up. I would think that they have all your information on record. But like Joe mentioned, you could try.