QUESTION (test) Should the Legion open its gates to immigrants?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Do you think that la Légion étrangère should open its gates to candidates who arrive in France without papers?

OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Personally I am dead against letting anyone in who does not have a valid passport. Passport, not travelling papers, an official issued traceable passport. If that person turns sour then what? When the authorities try and find out who is really behind the incident, the Legion will look pretty dumb saying that he said his real name was... and gave his date of birth as...🦓 (stripped jackass 😌)
So why did I even ask the question? On the original question, I put (test) to basically see how the new Q&A section would work.
Of course everyone's opinions are worth noting on the sans papiers and hopefully we'll have other (more) interesting debates. Just remember to vote on the answers. If I've got this right, as it's new to me also, when someone gets to a certain amount of good responses than the subject is closed 🙄😳.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
I arrived in the Legion without any papers at all. Worked out OK. I reckon the Legion is clever enough to know which ones to accept, papers or not.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I can't vote.

No, I think opening gate for illegal immigrants isn't good idea. First isn't fair for all other guys who need all papers, get background check etc. Without papers they can lie about their age, criminal past... Almost everything. Also I'm pretty sure that not many of them are willing to serve.
That may worked in XIXth century, but couldn't work today.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Depends on what you mean by "papers". Obviously, you need to know who the guy is, so if by "papers" you mean a passport or some form of valid ID, sure. I don't believe, however, that a visa necessarily has to be an absolute requirement.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Where do you vote ?
Join the Legion with real I.D.to be given fake I.D....just saying

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Join the Legion with real I.D.to be given fake I.D....just saying
I did and it worked at the time and I still remember the back story..my dear mother Aloise. Mind you I had to cross a border or two without papers later to get my papers and other borders without documents but with enough cash to get in and out regularly but.. as you said ...just saying
Some people are lucky to make it out of certain places and if they are fortunate enough to know about the existence of the Legion then I am all for letting them through the gates. There are many who are a risk but as long as they pass the tests and are able to hold their own thats good enough. If they act like a clown when inside the gates then there are remedies ranging from minor to permanent and immediate or delayed as the circumstances warrant.

Last edited:

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Personally I am dead against letting anyone in who does not have a valid passport.
So why did I even ask the question? On the original question, I put (test) to basically see how the new "questions&Answers" would work.
I didn't vote but your question was one of the best I have seen for a while regardless of the initial intent.

My view, If someone comes knocking bare-ass naked at the doors and is able to prove themselves of value..musician, cook, mechanic, combatant...then they found a home. If the Legion "can't handle" everyone regardless of race, religion, creed..etc...then the Legion truly has become soft. Chinese mafia, IRA, psychopaths, "boo-hoo" types who recently broke up with their girlfriend and all the other regular people that just couldn't find or hold a job are a few types that I had rubbed shoulders with. As a caporal I looked everyone in the eyes, whether I had to look up, down or across and act/react according to my rank. As a person looking at you, regardless of rank, I would communicate on another level with small things...vocabulary and stance being among the hundreds of things. If you were a nut-job or a real bad-ass (or both and again regardless of rank) it made no difference to me...just don't f**k up when it mattered. The small shit didn't count. You were either able or unable to do the job required, no middle ground.

A "yes or no" vote doesn't quite capture my opinion.

Last edited:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Think the one thing in my view is the Legion allows people to have a fresh start and change if that is their desire so for me regardless of paper work or lack of it give everyone a chance regardless of past or colour or religion and crimes!!

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
There must be hundreds of legionnaires from countries where the Legion can't verify and check their back ground, Russia for one. I'd guess the Legion lower ranks would never be privy to anything sensitive that would put the French national security at risk, the Legion has been around along time .
Are there countries the Legion won't accept applicants from? Doubt it , so there'd be no difference with papers or not ,Id imagine their main concern is are they capable of becoming a Legionnaire and will they do the five years?

No bcause arab immigrants come to Legion to get trainning and then fight for ISIS, no muslims in Legion
You sure about that? You are assuming the Legion has the same ideals as you , I some how doubt that.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Do not politicise the Legion! Religion has no meaning in its ranks! and are well aware of today’s problem child! I have served with Arabs who hid their religion. only wanting to be good soldiers and make something of their lives! Same goes for any other religion, Catholic/Protestant/ Hindu/ Muslim, it does not matter! When the crap hits the fan everybody’s equal! But rest assured the Legion/ French authorities are on top things especially now when it comes to recruiting!

OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Guys, don't forget to vote. I think the idea is that if you 'like' the answer you click the upwards pointing arrow, If you don't, the downwards. If you are neutral no click. to find out who has voted for you, click on the numbero_O. So come on let's get to the voting polls ☕.
Which reminds me I have to get flowers. The fresh market, as it is known here is on my way to the gym. Today is my day off, but if Erika doesn't notice I can pop out in my sports kit and be back with a bunch of flowers in a 'personal best' :love:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
No. I just see no benefits for the LLE. Not sure did I vote, I clicked the right arrow..

Last edited:
OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Not sure did I vote, I clicked the right arrow...
Hi Perun,

To check if you voted or not, go to the person you believe to have voted for. Let's say it is Lord P (because he is nearest)between the arrows you will have a number 0 to .... If the number is still 0 then your vote wasn't registered. If there are 3 votes click on the # 3 then the names of the 3 people who voted will appear in the screen.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
If it was up to me
Any arse hole spouting their fake god or prophet, should be shown the door
Post Shitum : Officer included...

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I assume in the Legion they have sensitive areas where not just anyone can work. you need to check peoples backgrounds. The situation today is not like the 50s.