The backpack

Ratings
Home Country
Lithuania
Hello to all friends, anciens, wannabes, and legionaires. I had been long time lurking around making my papers, making my documentation, trying to evade all possibilities of getting No from the Legion. So next weekend I go France, and knock gates of the Aubagne. So I have probably the last question for the legionnaires. What things i should throw in my backpack? What I should bring along with me? Except things that are mentioned on the internet.

Ratings
75 1
Home Country
Egypt
I heard people saying it is cheaper for you to go to the nearest legion's camp to your airport rather than going all the way to Aubagne on your own.

Ratings
921 9 8
Home Country
North Korea
Travel light. ..i presume you are flying to France (standard suit case is the norm). Keegan is right.

It's winter here, so they say parka, jumper, long arm sweat, woolie bonnet gloves... (cheap stuff made in China!)
Half of a small tube of tooth paste
Short hair cut the day before you go = no comb or brush needed
Under pants and forget your silk boxer shorts
A nail clipper... Be sure you clip your hands and toe nails short before you leaves.
A small bar of soap... If you cant find 1... Cut 1 in 2
Light weight towel... rolls up to napkin size, very pratique
Only smelly people wear deodorant
Will get back to you soon... I need a kit kat

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
815 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Good Luck mate. Take along some disinfectant soap. I know I always say this but in the first few days, before they get rid of the really bad ones, you will have all kinds of filth around you. Make sure that you have everything clearly marked.. If you can get a hold of some winter underwear which is thin and warm, all the better.

Contrary to what the official legion web site tells you, take enough money and a credit card in case something pops up such as an outside medical check. What you do not use will be kept safely for you.

Ratings
921 9 8
Home Country
North Korea
Btw, river Seine is high and traffic in Paris is disturbed (RER C train line closed till Friday)... And the rain keeps pouring.

Update: water level increasing by 1.5 cm per hour. Actual depth 8.20 m.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
815 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Looks as though the Zouave on the Pont de l'Alma will need more than just wellies. Perhaps oilskins?

1516939792117.png 1516939792117.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ratings
921 9 8
Home Country
North Korea
Pouring still but experts say will calm. Correction my last post should read 5.20 m. Now it's 5.80 m. The water has reached the the Zouave's waist.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
815 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Just a quick word on this Zouave dude. They were a kind predecessor of the Legion created in 1830 (the Legion in 1831). There is a statue of a Zouave on the Alma bridge, which crosses the Seine. Historically the Parisians measure the river's height against the Zouave who is supposed to be dry (fully above the water level).

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Ratings
Home Country
United Kingdom
Its winter here, so they say (parka jumper long arm sweat woolie bonnet gloves. ..cheap stuff made in China!
Half of a small tube of tooth paste
Short hair cut the day before you go = no comb or brush needed
Under pants and forget your silk boxer shorts
A nail clipper. ..be sûre you clip your hands and toe nails short before you leaves
A small bar of soap. ..if you cant find 1. ..cut 1 in 2
Light weight towel. .rolls up to napkin size, very pratique
Only smelly people wear déodorant
Will get back to you soon. .i need a kit kat
And disposable razors

Rapace

Ratings
332 2 1
Home Country
France
Just a quick word on this Zouave dude. They were a kind predecessor of the Legion created in 1830 (the Legion in 1831). (...)
The Zouaves units belonged to the so-called Armée d'Afrique, along with other units, like the Spahis or the Chasseurs d'Afrique (light cavalry), the Tirailleurs (Infantry), etc. Originally the recruits came only from the region of Algiers, after Algeria was conquered by France in 1830. Recruitment was later opened to anybody, including Europeans. They illustrated themselves on many battlefields, in particular during the Crimean War when a French and British expeditionary force fought against the Russians. Alma is a river in Crimea after which one of the Paris bridges was named. Along the banks of this river, near Sebastopol, a battle took place in 1854, in which the Zouaves (and the Legion) played a key role in the final victory.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
815 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Some buddy suck a life jacket on the Zouaves (theres a vidéo of it knocking about
I saw that on the France 2 20h TV news. It's to demonstrate against global warming, meaning that he has to get used to it (flooding). Just goes to show that some people have a sense of humor. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't one of these left wing do gooders, save the universe and welcome - who are living high and dry.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Ratings
54 3 1
Home Country
United States
If you're going on the weekend, you will be sitting on a bench until MONDAY... Better go in on Monday morning. Compagnie footing until 9:15 every Monday. So you'll get taken in right after that. Get a good breakfast before that, too. Juice up on espresso and then dive in. Bring LOTS of coins, coffee machine and tea. It's cold sitting outside all day with your thumb up your ass.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
322 5 7
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Good advice, but vytautelisss will not have much of use from it. He is already rejected yesterday after just couple of hours.

He will write his story.

Most viewed threads of the week