a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The chance of dying...

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This is the grim reality that everyone thinks about before joining the Legion, so. What are the casualties that Legion suffers in one year? I'm planning to join in a few months.
If you want to die for France I`m sure they`ll arrange it :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
well i hope i die in my Sleep... watched my Old Man have a heart attack as a kid i just hope i am not next in line:unsure: well why worry? :) a Quote i heard, "He who dies fittest,still dies"

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
In the end, Joe summed it up, if it is your time, it is your time. In 2004 in Iraq our FOB had over 400 mortar and rocket strikes in 7-months, it was like lightning and if God wanted you he wanted you.

Be more concerned about drunk drivers, walking the streets of London or Chicago or any number of large cities, is far, far more dangerous.
I have a friend who served in the USMC in those years, most of the time when we were chating and he was telling that they were shelling them and he was still chatting like it was just rain

well i hope i die in my Sleep... watched my Old Man have a heart attack as a kid i just hope i am not next in line:unsure: well why worry? :) a Quote i heard, "He who dies fittest,still dies"

Same here but instead of hear attack an CVA, that day i learn that no matter what, you will die... A lot of people afraid to ride motorcycles, fly, etc not like you are going to avoid death... Eventually you will die, so enjoy.
Quoting Aerosmith "Maybe tomorrow the good Lord'll take you away "

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have a friend who served in the USMC in those years, most of the time when we were chating and he was telling that they were shelling them and he was still chatting like it was just rain

Same here but instead of hear attack an CVA, that day i learn that no matter what, you will die... A lot of people afraid to ride motorcycles, fly, etc not like you are going to avoid death... Eventually you will die, so enjoy.
Quoting Aerosmith "Maybe tomorrow the good Lord'll take you away "

GSP, it was Rain. In 2004 when I was in Fallujah during our 7-month deployment we received well over three hundred rocket and mortar strikes. A few Marines were killed and some were wounded.

Dan98

Reaction score
Home Country
El Salvador
Look, you are far more likely to die in an accident or from a disease. Think of how many Marines, Legionnaires, Soldiers, and more have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, hundreds of thousands to millions have served. US casualties around, slightly less than 6,000, have been killed in Iraq, the theater I served in in 2003, 2004, and 2005. Do the math 6,000 divided by 1,000,000 = it equates to .006%

Be more concerned about drunk drivers, walking the streets of London or Chicago or any number of large cities, is far, far more dangerous.

I think it is safe to say that being a soldier deployed in a warzone does significantly increase the probability of one's premature death.

Yes, a greater quantity of people die in accidents, from diseases and what not, but if you compare the death rate of healthy 18-30 year old males in civilized world to that of soldiers deployed in warzone, you'll maybe find that the latter is significantly higher.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think it is safe to say that being a soldier deployed in a warzone does significantly increase the probability of one's premature death.

Yes, a greater quantity of people die in accidents, from diseases and what not, but if you compare the death rate of healthy 18-30 year old males in civilized world to that of soldiers deployed in warzone, you'll maybe find that the latter is significantly higher.
How much higher? I believe is not more than double. As I said you should compare with rate of man dying in previous wars. Interestingly as time goes human life becoming more and more valuable, despite that we have more and more humans.

It breaks main economic principle of supply and demand. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Michel Polnareff:
We're all going to Paradise

even me
whether we've been blessed or damned
we'er all going ...

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Michel Polnareff:

even me
whether we've been blessed or damned
we'er all going

Really great song Joe. I like it!

But (I have to have my "but" (not butt :))) What is purpose of hell if we all gonna go to paradise anyway?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
What is purpose of hell if we all gonna go to paradise anyway?
You'd have to ask Michel Polnareff, He can talk, he was in exile in the US for tax evasion. Pr Sarkozy gave him a pardon- he then went on to give an open air concert on the Champ de Mars the 14th of July ;)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
OK Joe, I'm going bit deep philosophy here. I'm really trying to imagine hell and heaven for a long time. Hell... not so hard, but haven... I really can't imagine heaven. :(

But I think we all have to had that "On Ira Tous Au Paradis" moment. ;)

Mine would be:
Me, Snafu and Night Jumper in unit. Joe as corporal, Rapace Capitaine and Chas as some higher ranking officer. :) (I would include couple more guys). And then we fight some really bad, bad guys, totally defeat them without killing anyone and then ... than we all along with some girls (brought by sexpert BTW :)) hug and dance with the sound of the song "on ira tous au paradis". :)

Wouldn't that be nice? :)

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
What is purpose of hell if we all gonna go to paradise anyway?

Rant time
I don't know why he wrote that song, but he is not actually far from truth. Of course if you belive in Jesus.
If you read the new testament and see what jesus was saying. Is quite simple, he came to earth to pay for the sins of all the humans, that's why he died in the cross. You only have to belive in him with the heart not the mouth, you must accept him as lord. No matter what he will forgive, This more than clear when jesus tells the parable of the prodigal son. Another hint when he was in the Cross the two thieft that were with him, did accept Jesus as their saviour and he said they were going to heaven
You don't need churches, as long as two or more people talk about god, then he will be there. Neither God needs your money, or a crusade.. Also only God and jesus, no saint, no holy people or any crap, if you pray you pray to god, not to a saint...
Of course this is not good for the Catholic church and they will always deny it and sell you their version of the new testament.. They like to keep people in the dark, that's why their worst enemies are Gutenberg and Luther.....

This year, during a ceremony near Rome, a kid went to the pope and asked if his father in heaven or hell. He was afraid that his father in Hell because, he had not a baptism. The Pope said that the only one who decides who goes to heaven is God and that God does not leave his sons... Of course the church was not happy about it, the proper reply for a catholic.
"Yes he is either in the hell or Purgatory for all the eternity"...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
GSP I agree and I would add that haven and hell are not only Christian concepts. They were there before christianity and in many other religions.

Still can't imagine my heaven. Can you your?

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Still can't imagine my heaven. Can you your?
Very boring.
Christian Heaven: You sing and to God for all the eternity
Muslim Heaven: 72 Virgins, which by logic after the first sexual act are no morw virgins and become very complaining wifid
Budhist and Hindu Heaven: Sorry no Heaven for you, you are not escaping the samsara.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Very boring.
Christian Heaven: You sing and to God for all the eternity
Muslim Heaven: 72 Virgins, which by logic after the first sexual act are no morw virgins and become very complaining wifid
Budhist and Hindu Heaven: Sorry no Heaven for you, you are not escaping the samsara.

Yes. We are not made for perfect world heaven should represent. And not only because heaven is bit boring we need little suffering. That's a fact.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
What has this heaven and hell chat anything to do on "The French Foreign Legion Today" Page?