a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE FARM

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Greetings and salutations,
The farm, man I was nervous about this phase of training. All the stories of abuse and starvation had me on edge. I was in 2nd company 3rd section and we had great cadre, cept two corporals. They seemed really focused on making sure we learned what we needed to learn.
The farm is self is amazing such beautiful land rolling hills with forest all over and the Perinies mountains in the background. It was breathtaking truly, I found myself smiling alot while I was there just aghast on my luck to be there. Even though it's always raining and cold in February there.
The first week there you are given your barely working Famas. The biggest piece of sh*t gun I ever shot. You learn how to maintain this gun, how to operate it correctly. My sgt is a commando and is a true badass so I found myself hanging on his every word (that might be because I don't speak French) but when he explains something I really listened.
You're going to do a 8k run twice a week plus one 15k every week. Some bs little workouts like 15 pull ups some push ups maybe some squats. I really lost alot of fitness being there. But others seemed to gain so if you aren't super fit you'll get there.
Your going to learn about granade manipulation, this is scarry to see. Some guys can't pull the pin. True story. Others couldn't throw it 10 meters. Kinda worrisome to think theyll be throwing real granades.
The first week you do a 8k ruck March. This is such a great experience. We left at 8pm and it was a clear night with a lightning storm off in the distance. It was gorgeous. I couldn't help but wonder how many soldiers in ww2 walked here. I had a blast.
Each week the ruck March increases, By the 3rd week you're doing 25k with like a 30 kg pack. This was a really difficult march, the pack isn't the best and they packed everything in it for us. The heaviest pack I carried was on that march.
The rumors that you get starved there are just that. I gained weight no joke. I think they changed the way they train people because the way they killed us was never letting us sleep or sit down. The biggest challenge was the weather and trying to learn stuff while not falling asleep.
Every Sunday after the march you spend the day cleaning everything and preparing the BBQ. At night they give you hot wine which sounds terrible but it's really good and sweet. And make everyone sing a song from their country. It's real fun. I got trashed ever Sunday then stumbled around on guard duty. My adjutant called me in one night and was giving me shots of whiskey while I was on guard. He is a hard drinker and an even more powerful marcher he could out work everyone.
All this was just to prepare us for the kepi March which is the last two days of the farm.
Honestly I think the farm is just to get you used to the lack of sleep you'll be getting in the legion, and to teach all the people that have never held a gun before to not shoot themselves.
I had fun there, though my feelings weren't felt through out the entire group as two people went home.
Oh I should mention that another challenge was learning all the songs you need to learn. We spent hours singing the same song over and over while marching in the rain. It was terrible. But we some how learned to make it fun.
I think that if everyone spoke the same language we could've learned it all in 2 1/2 weeks. But there is just that barrier.
Next chapter is the kepi March,
Cheers,
B. B. CODY

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I understand French mostly except when French people speak it. But I suck at speaking this infernal language.
I’ve been using the Babel app, it’s been very interesting trying to learn a new language with no one to speak to. I plan on going 2rep so we will meet one day, we can practice together.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dam Cody, alot of threads you've put out, awesome to go through them, nice to know what's really going on behind the scenes a little bit, I know it's going to help alot of people thanks man
The Buffalo is one of the few who came on here asked a few questions and then promised to give us feed back. Correction, lots have promised, BB Cody is one of the few who has kept his word.