a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The idea of this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrpCAndersson

Fitness Forum's Moderator
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Evening all!

I've been wanting a fitness forum on this site for some time, so finally I asked the boss for one - who made a great job creating it so quickly. Thanks!

The idea I had was to make sure that everyone that have questions regarding fitness could have a special place here to discuss it - as physical fitness obviously is an important part of getting ready for a major leap trying to join the legion.
All of this is now possible without posting inappropriate questions were they don't belong, getting no serious replies as a result.

I myself have a big interest in this subject, with focus on military fitness, and I am willing to share what I know - hoping that others will follow this initiative.
I'll even try to get some basic training plan up if the interest is there - maybe something that can be of much importance for wannabes (or others as well of course).
I'm not saying that I am an expert, far from it - but I'll do my best to help in any way that I can.

Let's use this newly born club to exchange ideas, and to answer questions of those that have little or no experience of working out.

Enough for now, start posting threads everybody!

Coinnach

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Hi GrpC, I'll be your first guineapig.
I'm 33yo and I am carrying a lot of bodyfat around my mid-section. I need something that will help me shift it quickly with causing me any injuries

GrpCAndersson

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Coinnach said:
I'm 33yo and I am carrying a lot of bodyfat around my mid-section. I need something that will help me shift it quickly with causing me any injuries

Easiest thing to get started is to find a sport that you like, that involves much movement. As soon as you start get those legs pumping, fat will be burned - if you keep in intensity level of moderate (high intensity burns mostly carbs). Try to avoid jumping exercises in the beginning.
Make sure that you work up a sweat, and that you do it often; also make sure that you listen to the legs as they might take a beating if the activity is too strenous and if you haven't worked out for some time. And remember to stretch!

Ok?

Mise

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Cur mala mhor eadrom ar do droim agus suil suas na croic gach la.

Mise

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Sin ceart, agus duirt se, ni raibh an treanailach ro diffur.

Mise

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
For those not in the know it means; our day will come. So wil Christmas

Paddyman

Reaction score
Home Country
Coinnach said:
Hi, Im new to this site. I am going in the ffl very soon. The best way I know about getting ridd of fat around your mid/drift is to run at least 3k wearring a bag or sweat suit. the do prenty of stumock crunchies.

GrpCAndersson

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Paddyman said:
Hi, Im new to this site. I am going in the ffl very soon. The best way I know about getting ridd of fat around your mid/drift is to run at least 3k wearring a bag or sweat suit. the do prenty of stumock crunchies.

Going from a level of low intensity to running 3K with a pack is almost guaranteed to deliver injuries. But the sweat suit seems as a good advice - sweat it out. Abdominal exercises as you said is very important to
Running with a pack at all is frowned upon in come circles - but I think it's important to at least do it once every two weeks, so that it won't come as a surprise during basic. But a sold foundation is needed before trying this kind of training.

As for the question you asked in another thread Paddyman - I'll explain my training philosophy:
Train for a marathon, or even better; an adventure race - as a good time on a 10K course won't get you very far when required to perform all the time every day. Endurance is the key, even though speed is an important part of a fitness routine as well.
If you have an interest I can send you the program I am currently following. As you already seem to be quite fit, I think you'll really like it. Just PM me your email address.

/GrpC

Coinnach

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Paddyman said:
I have used the plastic style sweatsuits for boxing to make weight - all they do is make you lose water weight - not bodyfat. Is that what you are talking about?

Last edited:

canard

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
How about building up a strong running
program, followed by a circuit which is heavy on abdominal exercises, eg v crunches, sits, cross sits, and the good old leg raise....legs up(18in)hold,apart,hold,together,etc:eek: :mad: :eek:
What do you think, GrpcAndersson- would this level of ab work put strain on the lower back?

GrpCAndersson

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
canard said:
How about building up a strong running
program, followed by a circuit which is heavy on abdominal exercises, eg v crunches, sits, cross sits, and the good old leg raise....legs up(18in)hold,apart,hold,together,etc:eek: :mad: :eek:
What do you think, GrpcAndersson- would this level of ab work put strain on the lower back?

If the exercises are done with correct form, and balanced with other exercises for the rest of the body - it's no problem. But do start easily, as many rush into a heavy program doing too many reps too soon, and also make sure that you vary the intensity over the week - otherwise you'll plateau rather quickly I'd guess. An idea is to alternate musclegroups, e.g. mondays, wednesdays and fridays you do a circuit routine that focuses on the "main" exercises; push-ups (or press-ups for the brits), pull-ups, sit-ups etc., and on tuesdays and thursdays the routine involves exercises for the lower back, legs and other usually neglected areas.

Canard; I'll send you my very own program - to show you how I worked out the puzzle for me. PM me your mail address!

/GrpC

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
GrpCAndersson said:
Evening all!

I've been wanting a fitness forum on this site for some time, so finally I asked the boss for one - who made a great job creating it so quickly. Thanks!

The idea I had was to make sure that everyone that have questions regarding fitness could have a special place here to discuss it - as physical fitness obviously is an important part of getting ready for a major leap trying to join the legion.
All of this is now possible without posting inappropriate questions were they don't belong, getting no serious replies as a result.

I myself have a big interest in this subject, with focus on military fitness, and I am willing to share what I know - hoping that others will follow this initiative.
I'll even try to get some basic training plan up if the interest is there - maybe something that can be of much importance for wannabes (or others as well of course).
I'm not saying that I am an expert, far from it - but I'll do my best to help in any way that I can.

Let's use this newly born club to exchange ideas, and to answer questions of those that have little or no experience of working out.

Enough for now, start posting threads everybody!
....I'm afraid the starting point is the medical state your in (no broken bones - knees and back especially; no major surgery); then your ability just to understand some basic French and to take in what is essentially a well-worn routine from Day 1 in the FFL....the physical build-up is slow over four months and, in fact, your initial physical condition may go down if you experience stress eating (assuming you steal food from the ordinaire or do silent runs to the out-of-bounds foyer) or let them French command orders to get to your brain cell(s)....so, I'd pay more attention to your French language effort rather than bank all your effort into useless/pointless physical training.....

GrpCAndersson

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Eagle eye said:
....I'm afraid the starting point is the medical state your in (no broken bones - knees and back especially; no major surgery); then your ability just to understand some basic French and to take in what is essentially a well-worn routine from Day 1 in the FFL....the physical build-up is slow over four months and, in fact, your initial physical condition may go down if you experience stress eating (assuming you steal food from the ordinaire or do silent runs to the out-of-bounds foyer) or let them French command orders to get to your brain cell(s)....so, I'd pay more attention to your French language effort rather than bank all your effort into useless/pointless physical training.....

How about those that haven't ever been in either a military environment nor have regularly followed a workout routine?
Can't these people benefit from the routine, and then when the intensity increases in the legion have easier to adapt to hard physical labour?

I can't see your point in what you are trying to do. All wannabes reading this forum knows, or eventually will learn, that learning french and being healthy is important factors.
Saying it once more here will have no other effect than me taking offense as this might be seen as an attempt to ridicule my efforts trying to help on one of the few things that can be prepared for the big leap.
I might be exaggerating and take this the wrong way, but then I ask you to respond to it via PM - there is no need talking about this in the "Fitness Club"

/GrpC

canard

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Eagle eye said:
I wonder what other Anciens would say about this - that there is no point whatsoever in boosting your stamina or physical strength prior to attempting L.E selection?

I don't see why this would be counter productive, or how it could fail to stand you in good stead for service in any force or corps, or even just in your life in general...
But then I think I'm pissing in the wind here, as you seem to be trying to put the cat amongst the pigeons with your post here, which I must point out is the only thing in this section which is TRULY
useless/pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.