a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Kepi Marche

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Greetings and salutations,
This should be short, we spent 28 days at the farm preparing for these two arduous days. This marche fell on my birthday and I was stoked to get my kepi.
The final days of the farm were spent cleaning everything as you tend to do here in the legion. The final night we packed our bags and slept in the hangar ready to depart at 6 the next morning. When we all woke we ate, put on our camouflage and set out, saying good bye to the place we called home for the past month. I was ready, yet found myself sad to go.
The first day was difficult. As I had a camera crew following me for a documentary they were filming about me and the legion training system. So any time the camera was on us we had to have our guns at the ready and look not like we were dying.
My sgt. Was navigating and he took us through every single "short cut" he could find. But this means scaling walls, going through rivers, through ruff fields, pretty much every single place you don't want to walk.
My feet were killing me. But during this time I got to see gorgeous places I'd never see otherwise. We marched 30k the first day and ended at a pace over looking a lake so clear that it looked as though the sky was on the ground due to the reflection. That night we sang drank and slept. I really enjoyed it.
The next morning camera crews with us, we depart at 6 am. In the back round a church bell rings as to signal the commencement of the March. This day was spent marching to 1st company's farm then to the finish. I was dumb and kept so much stuff in my pack that I don't need. One guy only had his sleeping bag and water. He saw smart.
We marched 27k this day and arrived at our finish line by 1.
On arrival we stretched then immediately put on our parade uniform and got ready to go stand in the sun for 2 hours waiting for 10 minutes of ceremony. I was selected to be the guy that lead the code of honor and speak to the chef de corps. I was nervous but prepared. It went well.
It was so hard standing there in those terrible boots after my feet took such a pounding from the March. After the ceremony we went to a room and did some sketch party. Basically listen to lectures and drink some beers. We then had to clean everything up.
I was so excited to have my kepi but knew that I was no where near being done with training so I felt like I am not going to let my guard down.
When we finished cleaning, it seemed like everything got harder. The cadre yelled alot more and expected more effort from us. No rest for the wicked I guess.
The next morning we ran 15k. It sucked. But it was nice to be able to sleep in a bed.
The good is that in one week's time would be our first day in town to ourselves. We all were very excited.
Cheers
B. B. CODY

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Greetings and salutations,
This should be short, we spent 28 days at the farm preparing for these two arduous days. This marche fell on my birthday and I was stoked to get my kepi.
The final days of the farm were spent cleaning everything as you tend to do here in the legion. The final night we packed our bags and slept in the hangar ready to depart at 6 the next morning. When we all woke we ate, put on our camouflage and set out, saying good bye to the place we called home for the past month. I was ready, yet found myself sad to go.
The first day was difficult. As I had a camera crew following me for a documentary they were filming about me and the legion training system. So any time the camera was on us we had to have our guns at the ready and look not like we were dying.
My sgt. Was navigating and he took us through every single "short cut" he could find. But this means scaling walls, going through rivers, through ruff fields, pretty much every single place you don't want to walk.
My feet were killing me. But during this time I got to see gorgeous places I'd never see otherwise. We marched 30k the first day and ended at a pace over looking a lake so clear that it looked as though the sky was on the ground due to the reflection. That night we sang drank and slept. I really enjoyed it.
The next morning camera crews with us, we depart at 6 am. In the back round a church bell rings as to signal the commencement of the March. This day was spent marching to 1st company's farm then to the finish. I was dumb and kept so much stuff in my pack that I don't need. One guy only had his sleeping bag and water. He saw smart.
We marched 27k this day and arrived at our finish line by 1.
On arrival we stretched then immediately put on our parade uniform and got ready to go stand in the sun for 2 hours waiting for 10 minutes of ceremony. I was selected to be the guy that lead the code of honor and speak to the chef de corps. I was nervous but prepared. It went well.
It was so hard standing there in those terrible boots after my feet took such a pounding from the March. After the ceremony we went to a room and did some sketch party. Basically listen to lectures and drink some beers. We then had to clean everything up.
I was so excited to have my kepi but knew that I was no where near being done with training so I felt like I am not going to let my guard down.
When we finished cleaning, it seemed like everything got harder. The cadre yelled alot more and expected more effort from us. No rest for the wicked I guess.
The next morning we ran 15k. It sucked. But it was nice to be able to sleep in a bed.
The good is that in one week's time would be our first day in town to ourselves. We all were very excited.
Cheers
B. B. CODY
And from an oldtimer, thanks for your postings, I enjoy reading them. Good luck to you in the legion, mate!

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway