a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

The Legion cemetery in Sidi Bel Abbes

Miscue

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm doing a study of military cemeteries, memorials and what I would otherwise refer to as "Military Cultural symbols," focusing on these things which now are in what might be considered 'hostile' lands. Examining how the local people interact with the physical legacy of past opponents, I think provides an insight into deeply seated societal impulses affect modern intercultural strife.
Just based on some superficial knowledge, Legion of Strangers ,by Mercer, I know the Legion expended a lot of effort on removing it's memorials from Sidi Bel Abbes, along with exhuming some of the prominent members from the cemetery, but did they exhume all the Legionnaires interred there?
Google Earth reveals the Legion Kaserne, with the obvious positioning of the memorial to the fallen, but I am stumped as to where the cemetery actually lies, (I suspect a rectangular enclosure about 7/10 of a mile south of the Quartier Vienot). Can anyone share some insight as to the location of the cemetery, and some informal history of how a deeply traditional organization left it's spiritual home?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
This looks like a subject that Lydia Z may be interested in. I have just approved her request to join. without trying to steal her thunder, this is what she wrote:
"My uncle from Germany died in the FFL in 1955. I am interested in finding out more about his place of burial in Sidi Ben Abbes, Algeria."

legio31

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
My old barracks had an old cemetery in it ,Glencorse barracks in Penicuik .There was soldiers buried there from early 1900s right up to the warrenpoint bombing in NI . I read a good bit about it .I think use google translate and translate it to French and you'll get better results .

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Royal Marines Memorial Garden Southsea. Various monuments and where soon my ashes will reside.
I will be in good company among better men than me. (The Rose Garden).

Last edited: