a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Legion in comics

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Two-Fisted Tales #40 (1954), "Dien Bien Phu," art by John Severin, written by John Putnam. The whole comic in the link.

View attachment 5814

The title is a bit misleading as there is a big difference between the biggest and last battle of French Indochina '54 and when the US started 'actively' in Vietnam in '65.

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
A great comic related post on the Mon Legionnaire site.

Reaction score
Home Country
India
god-of-blackfield-48149.jpg

“Who am I?” The legend of the French Foreign Legion, Kang Chan! During the African war, he was called ‘God of Blackfield’ by his enemies who were left in awe of him. However, during a mission to kill Masallan, the brain behind Sunni terrorist group SISS, Chan was killed in action by a bullet to the back. As his vision got blurry, he saw his thirteen team members, who had absolute faith in him, getting killed one after another. As he lost consciousness, he was saved by a mysterious power and woke up 3 years later in South Korea. However, he was in the body of another ‘Kang Chan’, a 19-year-old high school boy who was being bullied at school. Kang Chan’s journey to get revenge on the traitor, and to find out the truth behind his rebirth, begins now!

Reaction score
Home Country
India
god-of-blackfield-48149.jpg

“Who am I?” The legend of the French Foreign Legion, Kang Chan! During the African war, he was called ‘God of Blackfield’ by his enemies who were left in awe of him. However, during a mission to kill Masallan, the brain behind Sunni terrorist group SISS, Chan was killed in action by a bullet to the back. As his vision got blurry, he saw his thirteen team members, who had absolute faith in him, getting killed one after another. As he lost consciousness, he was saved by a mysterious power and woke up 3 years later in South Korea. However, he was in the body of another ‘Kang Chan’, a 19-year-old high school boy who was being bullied at school. Kang Chan’s journey to get revenge on the traitor, and to find out the truth behind his rebirth, begins now!
Its pretty bad so I don't suggest anyone to read it

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
1604552083963.png

" Général Koenig, sachez que toute la France vous regarde et que vous êtes son orgueil. " Voilà en quels termes le général De Gaulle, reconnaissant, félicite le général Koenig de son fait d'armes glorieux de Bir Hakeim. Quel honneur pour ce fils d'un facteur d'orgues alsacien ! Et quelle trajectoire brillante ! Pierre Koenig n'était, à l'origine, qu'un simple soldat sorti du rang, engagé en 1917 dans la Grande Guerre.
Il avait gagné ses 5 étoiles après une ascension fulgurante. Son sang froid et son sens de la discipline l'avaient dès le début fait remarquer comme un officier d'avenir. Cela se confirme lorsqu'il est envoyé, en 1930, à L'Etat Major de la Légion à Marrakech, un poste prestigieux. C'est alors le Maroc de Lyautey, le temps de la pacification. Là-bas, il s'illustre lors des opérations dans le Haut-Atlas.
La 2nde Guerre mondiale éclate alors qu'il est en pleine ascension. En juin 1940, le capitaine Koenig rejoint Londres avec ses 900 hommes : il devient ainsi l'un des tout premiers officiers de la France Libre, titre qui faisait sa fierté et qu'il revendiqua tout au long de sa vie. En 1942, il arrive dans le désert libyen, face à Rommel. Là, tout n'est que sable... Pendant 15 jours, la bataille de Bir Hakeim se déroule à découvert.
Face aux assiégeants de l'Afrika Korps environ 10 fois plus nombreux, Koenig répond : " Nous ne sommes pas ici pour nous rendre ! " La résistance héroïque de la troupe française est saluée par l'ensemble des puissances alliées. Elle produit une forte impression sur Hitler lui-même. Koenig en sort auréolé de gloire ! A la Libération, il descend les Champs-Elysées dans la voiture de De Gaulle.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
A little piece of legion history to add if I may? His driver during the Bir Hakeim siege was the only woman to have a legion Matricle. She went on to accompany the legion in Indochina and a married an adjudant chef. She was a Brit by the name of Suzanne Travers. I've actually seen her file in the museum when I was working there.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
A little piece of legion history to add if I may? His driver during the Bir Hakeim siege was the only woman to have a legion Matricle. She went on to accompany the legion in Indochina and a married an adjudant chef. She was a Brit by the name of Suzanne Travers. I've actually seen her file in the museum when I was working there.
Did she ever get a legion pension Joseph?