The Legion in the media

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
As mentioned before, the Legion is doing their best to recruit Frenchmen to the Legion.

La Légion étrangère fait le tour des plages pour recruter
La Légion étrangère, qui compte quelque 8 000 hommes, cherche à recruter des Français. 1 245 places sont encore à remplir au sein du corps militaire.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Interesting article. The Legion has an objective to reach 20-25% of French speaking recruits, vs 16% today (of which ~ 10% French nationals), to transmit the language and the culture. Citing example of foreign legionnaires being served foie gras and spreading ketchup or mayonnaise on it. Foie gras with ketchup!!! Oh my God..! 😨😀

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
It also said the French tend to fail the tests required, and that doesn’t surprise me because well the ones that most likely would pass join the regular army but I could be wrong. The only Frenchmen I have experience with is Corporal Louis LeBeau from Hogan’s heroes, man I love that little Frenchman.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
It also said the French tend to fail the tests required, and that doesn’t surprise me because well the ones that most likely would pass join the regular army but I could be wrong. (...)
Yes, true. Apart from the “prestige” of the unit, I see essentially two objective reasons for a French national to join the Legion: if he has a legal record and can’t join the “regular” Army and because the Legion offers a 5-year initial contract, while it’s generally shorter in the regular. One point also is that speaking the language gives them an edge re promotion over foreigners.

(...) The only Frenchmen I have experience with is Corporal Louis LeBeau from Hogan’s heroes, man I love that little Frenchman.
The actor, Robert Clary, from a Jewish family settled in France, is an Holocaust survivor. One of the few actors still living from Hogan’s heroes TV show.

OP
Le petit caporal

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think one other ancien légionnaire, active forum member did something similar long time ago. As I understood, him being a Scot :), he didn't bother with underpants. Scots doing that right or don't do it at all. :)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Interesting article. The Legion has an objective to reach 20-25% of French speaking recruits, vs 16% today (of which ~ 10% French nationals), to transmit the language and the culture. Citing example of foreign legionnaires being served foie gras and spreading ketchup or mayonnaise on it. Foie gras with ketchup!!! Oh my God..! 😨😀
Everything is better with ketchup or Catsup if you prefer.

Most viewed threads of the week