a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Legion in the media

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Is not only you, that's happening. Also in American units. Nazis, gang members... they all are glad to have guys with military training in their ranks. There is doco about that I think is about USMC. Will try to find
Is not only you, that's happening. Also in American units. Nazis, gang members... they all are glad to have guys with military training in their ranks. There is doco about that I think is about USMC. Will try to find it for you.
Most of these “nazis” probably aren’t in gangs, some definitely are, but a lot of people who’re getting in trouble for this sort of stuff are just young guys goofing around. The media exaggerates everything, and especially this sort of topic. A lot of these people are getting burned at the stake for saying edgy jokes, so I look at these sort of articles with a lot of skepticism. It’s just a sad topic either way

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Most of these “nazis” probably aren’t in gangs, some definitely are, but a lot of people who’re getting in trouble for this sort of stuff are just young guys goofing around. The media exaggerates everything, and especially this sort of topic. A lot of these people are getting burned at the stake for saying edgy jokes, so I look at these sort of articles with a lot of skepticism. It’s just a sad topic either way
True. After a saw that video about alleged registered nazis in FFL I released its total BS. Some of those guys just wave to camera and some idiots characterized that as nazisam. That guy doing salute and then raising hand of another looks drunk and he is obviously F-ing around.
Unbelievable how far leftist brainwashed idiots are ready to go in order to push their twisted ideology.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Switzerland
True. After a saw that video about alleged registered nazis in FFL I released its total BS. Some of those guys just wave to camera and some idiots characterized that as nazisam. That guy doing salute and then raising hand of another looks drunk and he is obviously F-ing around.
Unbelievable how far leftist brainwashed idiots are ready to go in order to push their twisted ideology.
Being drunk is not an excuse to do nazi salutes. especially if u serve in the legion regiment that fought against the nazis. its just disrespectful. If ur so stupid to do nazi salutes and even record it and post it online u deserve to get kicked out.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Being drunk is not an excuse to do nazi salutes. especially if u serve in the legion regiment that fought against the nazis. its just disrespectful. If ur so stupid to do nazi salutes and even record it and post it online u deserve to get kicked out.
Thing is most guys on those pics not even remotely doing nazi salute.
Yes if someone proudly posting online picture of himself in front of nazi flag with salute he should be kicked out.
But if someone do that salute while being drunk and stupid, than someone recording that and putting online because he hates that guy...I don't thin is fair to kick that guy out. Some investigation need to be done and to determine whether he really believes in that ideology.
And I being drunk young and stupid does excuse to do nazi salute. Also it doesn't deserve to put nazi label on someone for doing that once.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
The journal that covered the the exposé, Medipart, first came to light in the Jerome Cahuzac affaire, where the budget minister swore blind that he knew nothing about what any 'Swiss account', it was actually in Singapore or somewhere like that.
There were a couple of other Scoops, before that and then most recently there was the 'Benalla affaire', where Pdt Macron's bumchum was caught on camera giving orders to the riot police and tackling down a demonstrator. This without any actual authority other than he was the French equivalent to Monica Lewinski.
All that to say that Mediapart is a small time Journal who are looking for a sensation.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
They are cracking down on anyone they feel is an extremist, much like the US Military is now doing. Problem is, yeah you have some of the real Neo-Nazis, but most are just edgy guys that have inclination to the ideology. Not really a threat honestly. Also it's the legion, everyone here is a little crazy in some way.

Military has always had people like that attracted to it, army has always been conservative so you will get guys like that time to time.

It is what it is, watch what you post on the media and just keep your mouth shut. If you have certain ideologies or crap you like, just keep it behind closed doors, don't cause problems.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
They are cracking down on anyone they feel is an extremist, much like the US Military is now doing. Problem is, yeah you have some of the real Neo-Nazis, but most are just edgy guys that have inclination to the ideology. Not really a threat honestly. Also it's the legion, everyone here is a little crazy in some way.

Military has always had people like that attracted to it, army has always been conservative so you will get guys like that time to time.

It is what it is, watch what you post on the media and just keep your mouth shut. If you have certain ideologies or crap you like, just keep it behind closed doors, don't cause problems.
In my last 11 months I worked in the museum. At the time the Adj Chef who became a major just before I left -He was at the time the only Sous- officer (NCO) museum curator in the french army - had a coffee mug with a swastika on it.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Nowadays, a career can be ruined by a single post on the media the likes of instant trap, snap chat or face book
Travel light and think nowt other as to when the soup will be served
(social burdens)
Leave it all behind you, but clean up before you go

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
A pity, but then again he should have thought about the consequences beforehand. I would also kick out the little pr$ck who posted the video on social media.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The Caporal has been kicked out of the Legion
Which one? One from the video? It's not fair If video is only reason for his dishonorable discharge. (How is this said in French?) If he had more nazi outbursts ... than he is deserved but not because only one stupid, drinking salute.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Mod can put elsewhere if inappropriate.

The petulant and cringeworthy Harry Wales, when at Sandhurst Royal Military Academy was very stupid. Even in so called jest, he called a cadet a Rag Head and another My little Paki friend.

Finally he dressed up in Nazi regalia with a swastika on arm.

We all have done stupid things but for a so-called, future officer under instruction this takes the biscuit.

Thank goodness he has been stripped of his honorary rank Captain General Royal Marines.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Still no word on the Sargent from the REP ( no surprise there)
We have had the talk shows debating the subject to an extent it's harming my Zen
I have served since 83 with types of the like and worse
If you are a left winger, your career will not go far, if you get in, or far
Aye, but these fuds usually do and the rank

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Still no word on the Sargent from the REP ( no surprise there)
We have had the talk shows debating the subject to an extent it's harming my Zen
I have served since 83 with types of the like and worse even
If you are a left winger, your career will not go far, if you get in
If religious (Catholic of course) and a rightwinger?
More prospect?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The petulant and cringeworthy Harry Wales, when at Sandhurst Royal Military Academy was very stupid. Even in so called jest, he called a cadet a Rag Head and another My little Paki friend.

Finally he dressed up in Nazi regalia with a swastika on arm.
I guess they forgive him all that, but when he married mixed race girl .. that can't go over that? So who is Nazi there? Price Harry? I don't think so.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Most Brits were delighted and wished the couple well. This can be evidenced by the massive turnout,

I also venture to suggest that there is more racism in the USA.

In all our time in the UK my wife and I have only encountered racism twice. Once when encountering a far right demonstration and the second time by a drunk at Victoria railway station.

In my opinion we remain a fair minded country

Most viewed threads of the week