a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Legion in the media

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ok..translated it was not clear. I know people with Nordic Tattoos who like the Nordic Viking thing. Neo Nazis do use certain Tattoos.

Yep. Unfortunately, there's a lot of symbols that have been hijacked by extremists. Hell, even the fleur-de-lis supposedly has extremist connotations in France; over here, it's seen as regional/cultural pride thing. They're a very common tattoo from Mobile to Laffayette. Kind of glad I never got one; not sure how the French would view it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yep. Unfortunately, there's a lot of symbols that have been hijacked by extremists. Hell, even the fleur-de-lis supposedly has extremist connotations in France; over here, it's seen as regional/cultural pride thing. They're a very common tattoo from Mobile to Laffayette. Kind of glad I never got one; not sure how the French would view it.
mate ..even the British flag is seen as "Racist" in the UK. Bollocks.. i say I got my country flag on my arm & proud.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
mate ..even the British flag is seen as "Racist" in the UK. Bollocks.. i say I got my country flag on my arm & proud.

Thoroughly agree in regards to the Union Jack or St George's cross. I mean, the Klan uses the US flag,too, but that doesn't mean that it should be banned or that any one who flies it likes to burn crosses on their free time.

But the Fleur-de-lys hasn't flown over France since 1830 at the latest, and as LPC confirmed, it's considered an extremist symbol over there. Which makes sense; in France, it was always associated with the monarchy, not the people.

It's weird, in a way, that over here, the FdL has morphed into a symbol of the French people/French heritage. And they're everywhere in Louisiana and coastal Mississippi or Alabama... Particularly in New Orleans. Take a stroll down the ol' Rue Bourbon and they've got more Royal French flags than an Action Francaise rally:
fleur-de-lis-flags-fly-over-french-quarter-new-orleans-41103214.jpg

Over here, it's cool. Over there, maybe not. Especially if I got pegged by the gestapo as a possible right winger for bringing my happy a$s over to Aubagne sporting, of all things, a big f*ck off Fleur-de-lys tat.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Some french officiers. ..
Are the descendants of the aritrocrats that survived the révolution. ..
Add to that : the Préfets
And France is supposed to be Laïque (pff)
Macron wants to modify the laïque laws (what ever he means by that)
In the mean time. ..4. R.E. Castelnauday are looking to fund the creation of a Chapelle

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That... makes a certain sense.

The Uni I attended has an exchange program with a Catholic University in the Vendée. Every spring, we'd get a few students from that school for a semester. I had classes with some of them; others I met because I minored in French, and the French students were occasionally invited to our classes, conversation tables, and French club meetings.

When you could get anything out of them about politics, their opinions were usually surprisingly conservative. Well, except for one chick who, upon being asked which US President had the greatest influence on American history replied "Obama". (Who was in office at the the time). Gorgeous hazel eyes, but a hazel nut for a brain, that one.

Then there was 'Hurricane' Hugo, who nearly had to be deported.

Other than that, though, those kids tended to be pretty right-wing and religious.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
There's certain towns and areas in France where the catholicisme is stronger than others and the Vendée being one
Here in Nîmes, home of the 2 REI, is the capitale of french Protestants
Camisards and Hugenot s
Was the Hugenot s who fled to Switzerland to avoid persécution. ..developped the famous swiss watches. Being previously bell foundry makers
One of my ancestors married a Hugenot in 1703

Post Shitum :
Obama was not born in the USA or even in Kenya
He originates from Belfast Nothern Ireland
Had a group called Thin Lizzy

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thoroughly agree in regards to the Union Jack or St George's cross. I mean, the Klan uses the US flag,too, but that doesn't mean that it should be banned or that any one who flies it likes to burn crosses on their free time.

But the Fleur-de-lys hasn't flown over France since 1830 at the latest, and as LPC confirmed, it's considered an extremist symbol over there. Which makes sense; in France, it was always associated with the monarchy, not the people.

It's weird, in a way, that over here, the FdL has morphed into a symbol of the French people/French heritage. And they're everywhere in Louisiana and coastal Mississippi or Alabama... Particularly in New Orleans. Take a stroll down the ol' Rue Bourbon and they've got more Royal French flags than an Action Francaise rally:

Over here, it's cool. Over there, maybe not. Especially if I got pegged by the gestapo as a possible right winger for bringing my happy a$s over to Aubagne sporting, of all things, a big f*ck off Fleur-de-lys tat.
I remember when I was on a social Media site on an Ex British Army site(was a couple of brits Ex Legion on their too) & one guy had a Flag Pole in his garden with the Union Jack... The Local Council told him to take it down...he refused. I can remember in School the janitors put the Union Jack up & you had to show respect. Was a recent Video of a guy getting kicked out a boxing Match for wearing a Union Jack waistcoat. Notice the pakistani ??.. Members of the security who seemed to be offended

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I remember when I was on a social Media site on an Ex British Army site(was a couple of brits Ex Legion on their too) & one guy had a Flag Pole in his garden with the Union Jack... The Local Council told him to take it down...he refused. I can remember in School the janitors put the Union Jack up & you had to show respect. Was a recent Video of a guy getting kicked out a boxing Match for wearing a Union Jack waistcoat. Notice the pakistani ??.. Members of the security who seemed to be offended
Who pulling out those retarded decisions?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Source : 20 minutes
A legionnaire from Aubange has been arrested for stups, mainly cocaïne and 2 other collègues

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
And here is the article: Nîmes : ex légionnaires condamnés pour violences racistes

https://www.midilibre.fr/2019/01/18/nimes-legionnaires-juges-pour-violences-racistes,7960415.php

Really can't get clear what happened here? So there is 5 attackers behind some racist attacks occurred 7 y ago? One person is stabbed.

How many from this 5 attackers were legionaries (it says principalement des légionnaires ) and for how long they served?

So they in one night go around town and multiple times attacked persons of color just for being black or light brown?If that is case, they are idiots and shouldn't be in prison.

Unrelated to a case, but in those days is really easy to be accused for racist attack. If you get in verbal or physical dispute with person of color and you mention anything in correlation with that person's race, nationality or religion you can easily get accused for racist attack. Which is nonsense. Racist attack is if you deliberately target some person based on some of those 3 categories.

If you have that luck that judge is ultra neo-liberal-leftists-crapist, you can be convicted for racist attack just for having regular fight with person from one of mentioned categories.
Of Course Muslims doing same kind of racist attacks or rarely judged and public "elite" always finding excuses for those types of behaviors and even try to turn blame on white Christian (or atheist) men (or women) usually with straight sexual orientation.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
It would be interesting to see the percentage of a yearly intake and how many complete their 5 or continue. I'm sure that COMLE has the numbers.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
SPC (statistic proces control) as in evry industery. ...the generals and high ranking officers have accorded them selves a bonus

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
https://www.midilibre.fr/2019/01/23/la-legion-etrangere-a-perdu-lun-des-siens,7968913.php

La Legion etrangere a perdu l'un des siens

Le 9 janvier, la 13e DBLE (demi-brigade de Légion étrangère) rendait les honneurs militaires au caporal-chef Michel Biega, décédé le 28 décembre 2018, à La Cavalerie, à l’âge de 57 ans et plus de 28 ans de service à la Légion étrangère, au 2e REI, au 3e REI et au 1er RE notamment, ainsi bien sûr qu’à la 13e DBLE. Ses camarades étaient présents, ainsi que de nombreux Cavalériens, dont le maire François Rodriguez et des élus municipaux, pour lui rendre un dernier hommage.

Le caporal-chef Biega était l’un des premiers légionnaires arrivés sur le plateau du Larzac pour lancer l’installation de la Phalange magnifique. Dès le mois de janvier 2016, il était à la tâche pour participer à la montée en puissance du régiment, la dernière mission qu’il a menée avec sa bonne humeur coutumière et son dévouement discret.

Passé par de nombreuses unités Légion, il a été inhumé près de son dernier régiment, selon ses dernières volontés. Il repose désormais en terre aveyronnaise et sur ce plateau du Larzac qu’il avait appris à aimer. Il a rejoint le cimetière de La Cavalerie, village où il s’était fait beaucoup d’amis, en attendant le futur Carré légion que la municipalité va créer en liaison avec le régiment.

1548266471474.png

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
https://www.midilibre.fr/2019/01/23/la-legion-etrangere-a-perdu-lun-des-siens,7968913.php

La Legion etrangere a perdu l'un des siens

Le 9 janvier, la 13e DBLE (demi-brigade de Légion étrangère) rendait les honneurs militaires au caporal-chef Michel Biega, décédé le 28 décembre 2018, à La Cavalerie, à l’âge de 57 ans et plus de 28 ans de service à la Légion étrangère, au 2e REI, au 3e REI et au 1er RE notamment, ainsi bien sûr qu’à la 13e DBLE. Ses camarades étaient présents, ainsi que de nombreux Cavalériens, dont le maire François Rodriguez et des élus municipaux, pour lui rendre un dernier hommage.

Le caporal-chef Biega était l’un des premiers légionnaires arrivés sur le plateau du Larzac pour lancer l’installation de la Phalange magnifique. Dès le mois de janvier 2016, il était à la tâche pour participer à la montée en puissance du régiment, la dernière mission qu’il a menée avec sa bonne humeur coutumière et son dévouement discret.

Passé par de nombreuses unités Légion, il a été inhumé près de son dernier régiment, selon ses dernières volontés. Il repose désormais en terre aveyronnaise et sur ce plateau du Larzac qu’il avait appris à aimer. Il a rejoint le cimetière de La Cavalerie, village où il s’était fait beaucoup d’amis, en attendant le futur Carré légion que la municipalité va créer en liaison avec le régiment.

View attachment 4465
It doesn't say what he died of.
RIP l'ancien.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Source : Midi Libre
An ancien Legionnaire and armed...
This happened on thursday and was the gossip of the day. ..
Took place on the périphérique (route de Beaucaire / Clos d ' Orville, where many legionnaires réside)
Needed the deployment of many services
The article doesn't mention all. ..but i know
Anyway, all's well that finishes well