a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Legion in the media

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The French government appoints the General Jean-Louis Georgelin (ex Chef d'État-Major des Armées) supervisor in charge of the repair / reconstruction of the Cathédrale, Notre-Dame de Paris.
Source : Le Point

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't know about this, but three years ago four of Orthodox churches went into flame in same day! It was Easter. Was that coincidence? Maybe.

One way or another is great tragedy for church with such history to went into flame.

BTW in 1389. bells on that same church ringed in the name of victory of Serbs over Turks in Battle of Kosovo (victory for Christianity over Islam).

Dusaboss my man it is a God Damned Shame what is happening over in Europe, Poland is not having any of the Political Correct Sh$te. In all the time I spent over there in Iraq and Saudi Arabia there's on thing I learned, Shoot the b@stards

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Dusaboss my man it is a God Damned Shame what is happening over in Europe, Poland is not having any of the Political Correct Sh$te. In all the time I spent over there in Iraq and Saudi Arabia there's on thing I learned, Shoot the b@stards
My attitude exactly.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
9 avril : cérémonie de remise des képis blancs de la Légion

And comment in English about the nationalities: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...-compare-to-the-british-paras.161040/page-272

As reported in the local press, (9 avril : cérémonie de remise des képis blancs de la Légion.) the one on 9th April is being staged in Auch about 75km west of Toulouse. The local paper reveals the national breakdown of the forty-three successful recruits in this particular training platoon:
6 Canadians,
6 Ukrainians,
3 Australians,
3 Nepalese,
3 Vanuatuans,
2 Brazilians,
2 Colombians,
2 Belarussians,
2 Malagasy (Madagascarenes)
2 Moldavians
2 South Africans
1 German,
1 British,
1 Chinese,
1 Korean,
1 Spanish,
1 Greek,
1 Hungarian,
1 Polish,
1 New Zealander,
1 Romanian.
Out of which there are said to be eleven francophones (i.e. French Speakers).
Most of the ‘Canadians’ are probably ethnic French joining under assumed nationality. They have a rather odd accent of French over there anyway.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The Canadian accent originates from Saint Malo, France
Because of their sheltered living without out casts. .the Lingo has remained pretty much intact
Louisiane has more or less the same héritage. ..distance counts, sure
But this is the more or less typical french Bretagne accent of the époque
I kid you not

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Because of their sheltered living without out casts. .the Lingo has remained pretty much intact
I kid you not

That's largely correct. But...

Down here, it depends on the region. Cajuns, like their Acadian cousins, are largely of Poitevin, Charentais, and Saintongeais stock. You can hear it in the accents:

Charentais Accent:

Cajun accent:

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
I kid you not
Yes p’tit capo. The first time I heard Canadians speaking French I was on my first ship after leaving the legion, and I happened to be a helmsman as we were sailing up towards Montreal. We had the pilot on the bridge and he was talking Canadian French to shore on the radio, so I said ‘vous avez un drole de accent Francais, monsieur’. He was of course surprised at how the helmsman on a Norwegian ship spoke French, but he replied that his accent was, in fact, the real original French accent. Which supports your story.....

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I kid you not
Origin of the French language in Quebec.
They even have a language police to make sure that the French Language stays dominant over English.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Hello. I came across this documentary and I do not understand French nearly enough at this point. I am hoping to get help in interpretation at mark 9:00-9:53 talking with the man behind the desk. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the Motivation interviews.

This seems to be an overall great documentary for those seeking to try selection.

Thank you

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That's a Russian source...
I will check later on french OPEX 360 (it's a french military forum)
Yes it seems to be. Upon reading it, I found the reporting to objective and only stated information, I think good reporting there...but nothing new from what you already posted above.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Source : RTL M6 info
This Sunday, 19 May @ 23 h 10
The programme, Enquête Exclusive will show a documentary. ..
"Commandos, Legionnaires and Tireur d ' élites of the 11 Brigade de Parachutists"
If you visit the site, there is a short (1' 30 minute intro clip)