a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Legion in the media

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hello. I came across this documentary and I do not understand French nearly enough at this point. I am hoping to get help in interpretation at mark 9:00-9:53 talking with the man behind the desk. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the Motivation interviews.
Sorry for the late reply, trying to catch up with my backlog... The Colonel says, in a nutshell, that the Legion is victim of its reputation and some candidates believe that they need to confess some sort of crimes to justify the reason why they want to join the Legion (he doesn't explicitly say that some candidates are inventing stories, but that's what I perceive in his speech). He also says that the Legion will not accept “hard core” criminals, for security reasons and because international justice is more and more present (intrusive). Implicitly he states the Legion doesn't want to be bothered by inquiries from some international justice organisation (like the International Criminal Court or others) asking them if some criminal they're after hasn't by any chance joined the Legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sorry for the late reply, trying to catch up with my backlog... The Colonel says, in a nutshell, that the Legion is victim of its reputation and some candidates believe that they need to confess some sort of crimes to justify the reason why they want to join the Legion (he doesn't explicitly say that some candidates are inventing stories, but that's what I perceive in his speech). He also says that the Legion will not accept “hard core” criminals, for security reasons and because international justice is more and more present (intrusive). Implicitly he states the Legion doesn't want to be bothered by inquiries from some international justice organisation (like the International Criminal Court or others) asking them if some criminal they're after hasn't by any chance joined the Legion.
It's no problem about the delay. I appreciate your taking the time to respond to me about the video. Though I have been learning g a bit of French, it's not coming as quick as I wished it would, especially with all my other studies and my job that occupy most of my time. I am still waking up, spending most my day, and going to sleep thinking about the Legion. Thanks again, soon I'll know enough French to understand these videos.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Operation Tornado is now on the Legion’s Facebook. 2 REI and 1 REG are involved in the joint exercise under British command. Some excellent pics.
Some one please be a jolly good fellow and re post up on here
Thanks.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Source : www.les échos.fr.
The French rations know a world wide success. Text is in French but as some of you are going to be joining soon, try and understand it. A few pics included.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Below a link to the article from L'Indépendant de Perpignan (the local newspaper). The article says that of the 40 new legionnaires who received their Képi blanc yesterday (June 24), none of them is French. There are 24 nationalities with ages ranging from 18 to 31 (average is 23).
40 nouveaux légionnaires recevront leur képi blanc ce lundi au palais des Rois de Majorque

A couple of other articles on the same subject:
Slim, ce légionnaire venu du Maroc qui a reçu son képi blanc à Perpignan : “C'est un rêve d'enfant”
Les nouveaux légionnaires reçoivent leur képi blanc à Perpignan : “Vous devez servir avec honneur et fidélité”

Perpignan, in SW France, is close to the Spanish border. It's part a wider region called Catalogne (in French), Catalonia (in English) and Catalunya (in Catalan). A bit like the Basque country, on the west side of the Pyrénées mountains, it's a region that spreads across France and Spain.
Below a few pictures of the palais des Rois de Majorque (palace of the Kings of Mallorca). Majorque (in French), Mallorca, in Catalan, Spanish and English is the largest of the Balearic Islands, in the Mediterranean.

1561453186956.png 1561453407418.png 1561453512361.png

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Source : reseau international. net
"U.S.A. and the Algerian war" confirms what i have always stated... Their interfering.
It was the U.S.A. who put the F.L.N. on the International scene and led to the capulation (concède nulle..my Clans motto, by the way)
How the Algerian war influenced the future Al Qaeda and ISIS (Daesh).
Talks a lot about the post colonisation (European) and the neo Westernisation (Occidentalisme) imposed by Washington, Hollywood and Coca-Cola.
The difference between Anglo -Saxisme, super macists, souther states and the failed Mediterranian fascism. The difference is not apparent, but there is
Reference to books and experts on the matter (Yankees).
I do not need read now to know what i understand and from way back...call it a hunch or the survival instinct.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
"U.S.A. and the Algerian war", confirms what i have always stated...
Their interfering
Was the U.S.A.who put the F.L.N.on the International scene and led to the capulation (concède nulle..my Clans motto, by the way)
How the Algerian war înfluenced the future Al Quida and ISIS (Daech)
Talks a lot about the post colonisation (european) and the neo Westernisation (Occidentalisme)
Imposed by Washington, Hollywood and Coca - Cola
The difference between Anglo -Saxisme, super macists, souther states and the failed Mediterranian fascism. The difference is not apparent, but there is
Reference to books and experts on the matter (Yanquees)
I do not need read nowt to know what i understand and from way back...call it a hunch or the survival instinct
you need to get out more often..just sayin bro...

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Their interfering
Was the U.S.A.who put the F.L.N.on the International scene and led to the capulation (concède nulle..my Clans motto, by the way)
Talks a lot about the post colonisation (european) and the neo Westernisation (Occidentalisme)
I do not need read nowt to know what i understand and from way back...call it a hunch or the survival instinct
You might have a point there, Capo. I’ll give it a thought.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Now, what was that about? Less often, disagree with you, or more often, agree with you?

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Their interfering
Whow, capo, so it was general Eisenhover, coca cola, etc who financed and armed the fellaghas in the 1950s against the French in Algeria that resulted in al quaida and isis 50 to 70 years later? Never heard of the communists, have you? China rings a bell? No? Some historian you are, phew!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
My grand fathers sins committed in the libération de la Norvège 80 years ago permits your freedom of speech.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Take your time
Have you checked my date of birth?
Go figureView attachment 5190

Man, who do you think I am---the Coonass CIA, or something? I ain't dug that deep.

Nor will I, 'cause I'm not getting paid to.

That said, this being a forum where many of us try to keep anonymous, I do find it fun to sniff out the identities of the people here. It's just a game I like to play. One I've only "won" 3 times, truth be told.

But, in the spirit of fairness, I'll demonstrate how fun it is to solve these little mysteries, by offering y'all a chance to guess my name. In the post that follows, I'll give you clues. First to solve the puzzle gets a 12 pack of beer shipped to you, courtesy of yours truly.