a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Legion in the media

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
When you look at the other photos, it seems that all the music are wearing the fourragère de la Croix de guerre des théâtres d'opérations extérieurs or TOE to give it its full name. Strange.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Is the Legion Bands the same as say the Marine Corps Bands, there are several Marine Corps Bands, 4 Division Bands, 3 Air Wing Bands, two Recruit Depot (Boot Camp) Bands, a Quantico Band. The Marine Bands are all Marines and just the same as any other Marine. The Division Bands are infantry essentially. The only exception is the President's Own Marine Band, those are not Marines. You can tell the difference if you get a close look at their chevrons. Marines have the crossed rifles or the Diamond for 1st Sergeants and a Star for Sergeant's Major in their Chevron. The President's Own they have a musical lyre.

So does the Legion Band deploy on OpEx?

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Un légionnaire en garde à vue après la mort d’un orpailleur clandestin en Guyane

Guyane : le légionnaire suspecté d’avoir tué un orpailleur illégal écroué

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the update Surfguy.
the fact that they bloke was known to be a bit of a nutter, walking through the park barefooted, should have set alarms ringing. Where families and children go to play, he should never have been allowed in. Although it could be said if it wasn't in a park, it could have been ob the main street.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It seems that the knife wielding nutcase was known to the French Psychiatric world. "He was later identified by prosecutors as Nathan C, a 22-year-old with a history of mental illness for which he had been admitted to hospital. "
He had recently converted to Islam and was wearing a jellybar of is it djellaba
1578128978824.png Obviously with hind sight; being let out of the nut house, being converted to Islam, wearing a jellybar, we can say that he should have been watched.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
It seems that the knife wielding nutcase was known to the French Psychiatric world. "He was later identified by prosecutors as Nathan C, a 22-year-old with a history of mental illness for which he had been admitted to hospital. "
He had recently converted to Islam and was wearing a jellybar of is it djellaba
View attachment 5628 Obviously with hind sight; being let out of the nut house, being converted to Islam, wearing a jellybar, we can say that he should have been watched.

It’s Jellabah, Joe, very popular garment in Algeria, and very practical as well, especially in the mountains in the winter. The legionnaires were sometimes wearing jellabahs as well, as shown in the pic from Cote 924 in Algeria, digging roots for firewood in mid winter. (2REP, CP)

548453D6-81A0-4B05-A285-27B20BDF18EF.jpegDC53325E-4FE9-4524-BD73-488C188E021D.jpeg

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It’s Jellabah, Joe, very popular garment in Algeria, and very practical as well, especially in the mountains in the winter. The legionnaires were sometimes wearing jellabahs as well, as shown in the pic from Cote 924 in Algeria, digging roots for firewood in mid winter. (2REP, CP)

View attachment 5629View attachment 5630
Excellent, and no doubt rare photo, cheers, mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You know it the peaceful religion. Has Macron capitulated yet and blamed Trump for this because he took out Soleimani
(...) He had recently converted to Islam and was wearing a jellybar or is it djellaba ?
Islam is like a cancer & we must cut it out. What gets me is young people who are not mentally ill convert & fight for them. They go over & fight for these rats & are allowed back into Europe. WTF? Hang them I say. They are vermin, rats. I seriously think if i was like Joe in Thailand Iwould be a Buddhist or Shinto religion.

Side note : my comment is not aimed 100% at the religion but the people who corrupt it for their own goals. Let them live like animals in their own lands but not in our countries.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Gents, if I'm not mistaken, the thread is labelled “The Legion in the media”. I'm not sure the Legion was involved in any way in this latest incident. Could have been the case if the guy had been “neutralised” by a Legion Sentinelle patrol, but it wasn't.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
For those who can access French TV channel France 2, a documentary is scheduled on 21 Jan, detailing the profile of 6 foreign legionnaires of 2e REI. I guess it will be available online some time later, for those who can't watch it live.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Below the link to the replay of the documentary aired yesterday. Not sure if it’ll work for everybody (and it’s in French without subtitles).
The legionnaires one can see are a Polish ACH with 24 years of service in the Legion, a SCH from Morocco, who we see receiving French citizenship at some point in the documentary, a Brit sergeant from Newcastle, who we see leaving the Legion at the end of his contract, and three more from Madagascar, Guinea and Ukraine.
Le Petit Caporal may know some of them.
Portrait de legionnaires

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The adjudant-chef was a year old in service at the time when we served in Sarajevo. When he recounts his first Opex with the Legion, it was that. He goes on to mention a legionnaire in his platoon who was killed in that tour. They were doing protection for us, the SRCM in the Dobrinja quarter. He mentions also, the death of a Polish legionnaire in Iraq... and was posted on here a while back. The caporal who fell down the elevator shaft! They even showed footage of him at the regiment (with the black t-shirt of the C.E.A., or compagnie d'appui as it is now called, that is weapons company).
The English sergeant... typical. The Ukrainian seems the most genuine, closely follower by the Moroccan sergent-chef. The sous-off’ from Madagascar... pass your way.
The selection of these persons, in my opinion, was strictly controlled by the Legion during the shooting and for the final cut. The regiment seems to have been improved since I last visited (buildings, mess, etc.).

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The one mentioning the Polish legionnaire, Cpl Pochylski, who accidentally died In Iraq (that was in 2018) is actually the Geordie, the sergeant who we see declining to extend his contract, saying he wants to make money working “in security”.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Ah, okay... Typing faster than my brain thinks. France 2 show replay... weeks or months after. Will follow the rest of the episode s left (another 5) with much intrest
See our vehicules?
You can watch the replay on “my Canal”.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Ah, okay... Typing faster than my brain thinks. France 2 show replay... weeks or months after. Will follow the rest of the episode s left (another 5) with much interest
See our vehicules?
You can watch the replay on “my Canal”.
Humm... Not sure what you're talking about here :unsure:. The documentary broadcast by France 2 doesn't have several episodes... Re vehicles, we see at one point the new VBCI armoured personnel carrier that has been in use in 2e REI for two or three years now.