a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Legion in the media

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Below the link to the replay of the documentary aired yesterday. Not sure if it’ll work for everybody (and it’s in French without subtitles).
The legionnaires one can see are a Polish ACH with 24 years of service in the Legion, a SCH from Morocco, who we see receiving French citizenship at some point in the documentary, a Brit sergeant from Newcastle, who we see leaving the Legion at the end of his contract, and three more from Madagascar, Guinea and Ukraine.
Le Petit Caporal may know some of them.
Portrait de legionnaires
I can't watch it,
Pour des raisons de droits concédés à France Télévisions, cette vidéo n'est pas disponible depuis votre position géographique (TH)

I'll just have to follow Le Petit Caporal's views.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
But it is the first time we see it used by 2e REI in Nîmes. Am sure (almost) the docu, is a 6 episode series. Am sure you are wrong and I'm right... as always. Time will tell.

I can't watch it,
Pour des raisons de droits concédés à France Télévisions, cette vidéo n'est pas disponible depuis votre position géographique (TH) (...)
You have to register.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I can't watch it,
Pour des raisons de droits concédés à France Télévisions, cette vidéo n'est pas disponible depuis votre position géographique (TH)

I'll just have to follow le petit caporal's views.
Yes, not surprising. That's why I said the link may not work for everybody. Maybe it'll get uploaded on YouTube, one day or another.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Means am right as usual, n'est-ce pas ?

1750 new recruits for 2020. 20% are to be French speakers. The Legion are now using LinkedIn to communicate their recrutement drive...

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
(...) The Legion are now using LinkedIn to communicate their recrutement drive...
So going for higher I.Q recruits then, it appears there are very few roles for meat heads in a modern army. You need at least to be very computer literate, a good understanding of mathematics / trigonometry and have good linguistic skills. I think even the UK Police prefer applicants to have a degree.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So going for higher I.Q recruits then, it appears there are very few roles for meat heads in a modern army. You need at least to be very computer literate, a good understanding of mathematics / trigonometry and have good linguistic skills. I think even the UK Police prefer applicants to have a degree.
I like your thinking since I just finished my degree last month, and now I can focus on learning French. Not like it makes it a sure thing but it could be the difference between a yes or no when selection time comes.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure that the Legion will go that far. Maths/trig, will help you in certain roles such as mortars or chef de char (tank commander) in the REC, for example. However, I think that it is more to do with the language problem. A LOT of people leave after their 5 years with pigeon French (or in French petit noir -polite term).
With the influx of the eastern block- after the wall came down - you will find that the barracks language will be Slav. As after WW2 it was German. I'm sure that Volt and Jonny can contest to this. However today's legionnaires and tomorrow's sous-officiers (Sgts etc) speaking the language is more important than it was in yesteryear.

I like your thinking since I just finished my degree last month, and now I can focus on learning French. Not like it makes it a sure thing but it could be the difference between a yes or no when selection time comes.
I like your attitude Tom. Yes you are right, it could well mean the difference between yes or no. If you turn up at the gates and can only just manage to do the required 7 pull ups and cannot at least say a few sentences it is difficult to persuade the persons who give you your interviews that joining the legion has been a childhood dream, or that you have thought about joining the legion for a long time.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I'm not sure that the Legion will go that far. Maths/trig, will help you in certain roles such as mortars or chef de char (tank commander) in the REC, for example. However, I think that it is more to do with the language problem. A LOT of people leave after their 5 years with pigeon French (or in French petit noir -polite term).
With the influx of the eastern block- after the wall came down - you will find that the barracks language will be Slav. As after WW2 it was German. I'm sure that Volt and Jonny can contest to this. However today's legionnaires and tomorrow's sous-officiers (Sgts etc) speaking the language is more important than it was in yesteryear.
Yes, lack of schooling did hold me back from advancing in rank (grade six and one year trade school). It was only in my last days in Aubagne that I was offered to go for Cpl training and later for Sgt, if I signed up for another three years. I believe that it had also something to do with, at that time my language skill was superior to most.
Since there were only four Dutchmen in our Escadron, we usually hang around with the Germans in the foyer du legionnaire. Beside that I did a lot of reading French and German language books.

PS. After thirty days in basic training we were not allowed to speak any other language but French during service hours.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Found the video from someone's LinkedIn 😂
Thanks for posting that Tom, I liked when the Sch -at the time still Moroccan- says at the 43 min 40 that the legion is not like the American army, that they do not just blast away and then count [the dead] afterwards.:ROFLMAO:
Ah come on where is your sense of humor.
If you haven't found there you will find here:

In the opening first minute it says Italy and then you see the MPLE , eh oui there was a time when the Musique was called Musique principale de la LE until 1999 when there was a reduction in their numbers. In the quartier Vienot who, as Pink Floyd will tell you, was only taken by the legion in 1962. Also they do not have the correct tenue de sorti for the era.
Apparently this was a serieso_O

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm only a few minutes in, but this seems legit, figured others here might want to give it a listen.

Yeah his book 'Appel' was worth the read. The podcast is worth a listen as well as is everything on Jocko's podcast.

In this, Joel talks about a bonus after 8 years of service in the Legion where one would receive back all the money that was paid in taxes up until that time. Does anyone else know anything about that?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
onyx-20200130.jpg
Made by Thalès. 3519 ordered.
2e REI have received some copies several weeks ago. 21e RIMa are already equipped. Both regiments are in the 6e BLB (Brigade Légère Blindée, Light Armoured Brigade), the elite of the French army.