a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Legion planning to recruit 1,245 candidates in 2019

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That's up 145 from last year. A 12% increase. That might be good news.
The article works it out at 11%, but whatever :rolleyes:. It does say 7 tractions en pronation (no idea what pronation means), but it is all good news for the Legion.
I found this along side it, the replacement of the P4, I'm not sure if this hasn't been covered on here before. It's in French... One interesting thing is that trials are being done at Caylus, so you'll get an idea of the military terrain :LOL:

http://www.opex360.com/2018/09/07/r...mmande-de-1-200-vehicules-vt4-aupres-darquus/

Correction may replace the P4 Scroll down until you come to the video.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I wonder what the reason is, though. Are they not getting enough replacements, or are they trying to grow the Legion? Article wasn't exactly clear. Seems like it's a very good year for people to get over there. Chances seem much higher.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good news indeed.

However I do not wish to appear negative but wonder if desertion rates have anything to do with this.

Alternatively retention rates after 5 years of service may be low and there is always a need for experience at every level.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I think the idea is to bulk up the Legion. Deserters I believe only happen when young legionnaires go on OPEX and come back with a pocket full of money. Nowadays you have the chance to simply ask to go civvy, which understandably makes it harder for countries with high income and low unemployment to get in.
I can only put it down to the 'sentinel' which the article talks about, Barkhane and other overseas missions.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The most repeated excuse for desertion is “Sentinelle” (tribunal militaire). The Legion represents 11% of the FOT (Force opérationnelle terrestre) of the French Army.
11 % of new Legion recruits are francophones. You have one chance in 5 of being selected, by my calculation.
The 6e DLB now has 3 Infantry regiments : 2e REI, 21e RIMa and the latest addition, 13e DBLE.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Right that's it....me & chas are going ...:) some old school commado Training & we'll be up to Scratch... 6 years Brigadier Chef. That's the Plan fellas...

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
It does say 7 tractions en pronation (no idea what pronation means) (...)
Pronation means palms facing the body during the pull-ups (not outwards, which is called supination). That seems to be another change in the selection criteria since, as far as I remember, the rule was to execute pull-ups with palms outwards.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Pronation means palms facing the body during the pull-ups (not outwards, which is called supination). That seems to be another change in the selection criteria since, as far as I remember, the rule was to execute pull-ups with palms outwards.
I will just exercise both then :'D

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Egypt to buy 12 more Dassault's Rafale jet fighters.
Ye, they have been bumping the navy and the airforce here big time lately. Just wish if they'd improve the selection process but too late for that.
Good idea. Personally, I find Pronations ( 'Chin-up's") easier than Supinations ( "Pull up's"), so to me, it makes sense to do a mix of both. Pull-ups for the work-out, chin-ups for form.
Same here mate, they are much easier for me than supinations.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Right that's it....me & chas are going ...:) some old school commado Training & we'll be up to Scratch... 6 years Brigadier Chef. That's the Plan fellas...
Ok...i was dreaming...just woke up :D

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland

I'm sure you have that back to front mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So now it is chin ups instead of pull ups?
As some guys have wrote train both variations.. you might just have to do pull ups which are harder for most people. I have always been stronger in pulling movements than pushing. I lift my body up to a sternum chin. It´s different to a normal chin up or pull up.

Yes, according the article. Doesn't make a huge difference.
It does as the biceps are much more involved, in lat training you can bring your elbows further back (sternum chins) & this is why Dorian yates did supinated Barbell rows for lower lats although I don't believe in isolating any part of a muscle. Chins in my opinion are better for me as a lat builder.

Yes supination is inner hand facing as a chin up. I remembered this as eating soup palm inward hence supination when doing my trainer licence..lol.

Also this notion that a wide grip will give "wide" lats is not true, what it will give is a shorter range of motion. I never use much more than shoulder width sometimes less.. more. range of motion thus TUT, time under tension. More time under tension is more stimulation. Ex-Pongo is fully correct in what he wrote so knows his training. Well, he's a Scot what can I say? ;)

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) Yes supination is inner hand facing as a chin up. (...)
You guys have put a doubt in my mind. I double checked and I must say you're correct. Pronation, is palms facing outwards (like when one is doing pull-ups), while supanation is the opposite (palms facing your face, like when one is doing chin-ups).
So... Long story short, the objective is to execute 7 pull-ups. Sorry for the confusion.