a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Legion planning to recruit 1,245 candidates in 2019

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You guys have put a doubt in my mind. I double checked and I must say you're correct. Pronation, is palms facing outwards (like when one is doing pull-ups), while supanation is the opposite (palms facing your face, like when one is doing chin-ups).
So... Long story short, the objective is to execute 7 pull-ups. Sorry for the confusion.
Ex-Pongo noticed it I never because I was monging...haha.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
My son went for his 3 rd recruitment interview yesterday (wedensday) at Rodez, Averyon (near 13 DBLE) his référant, a MdL / Sgt has given him 2 months to prepare before sending him to the sélection center, in Bordeaux. He was told he will be going to an Infantery regiment , if he passes the exams medical physical and psychologie (we wanted the Genie / Engineers)
Almost a year it has taken, just saying

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
My son went for his 3 rd recruitment interview yesterday (wedensday) at Rodez, Averyon (near 13 DBLE) his référant, a MdL / Sgt has given him 2 months to prepare before sending him to the sélection center, in Bordeaux. He was told he will be going to an Infantery regiment , if he passes the exams medical physical and psychologie (we wanted the Genie / Engineers)
Almost a year it has taken, just saying
can he transfer later if he wants Engineers? I transfered to the R Signals as my older brother was serving there too.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I doubt it because of the army's needs of the moment. ..he wasnt given the choice
No big deal
Was just comparing how easy it is to try, attempt to join the Legion compared to the regulars (he can join the Legion after the regulars if he wants)

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Remember supination as the way to carry soup ;). Damn, you beat me to it sexpert. I got taught it on my PT course too haha.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I doubt it because of the army's needs of the moment. ..he wasnt given the choice
No big deal
Was just comparing how easy it is to try, attempt to join the Legion compared to the regulars (he can join the Legion after the regulars if he wants)
yes sometimes they "channel" people into what they need, i am sure he is intelligent enough. Infantry still have Pioneers so maybe a chance there. Having said that good lads in a Rifle Company :D

Countdown

Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Good news indeed.

However I do not wish to appear negative but wonder if desertion rates have anything to do with this.
It would be interesting to know the desertion rates in the Legion from the old days compared to these days, altrough I doubt there are any official statistics on that...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It would be interesting to know the desertion rates in the Legion from the old days compared to these days, altrough i doubt there are any official statistics on that...
I can't speak for the Legion but I think guys were more robust in the 80s & of course before. You accepted harder discipline. Not saying the recruits are softer now but not the same mentality. Also I think the average recruit now is probably more educated & we see the advances in the Military. The Legion has adapted to meet their needs.
Probably more desert now, even in training before getting to their Regiment. Evidence of this is all over the internet. not man enough to do 5 years. cowards
Anyone who goes through basic training in the Legion has to give it a chance..you do not know what your Regiment is like until you go & try it. Basic training is not your “working Regiment”, you need to give it a chance. I would say you need to give it 1 year to know if it's for you. Take it like a man. :)

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm still hoping to be there before the end of this year. My fitness is where I want it now, just waiting on teeth to get fixed

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I wouldn't take one Newspaper's word as being gospel. Although Pronations and Supinations :sleep: are both good to train on, as is climbing a rope
As some guys have wrote train both variations.. you might just have to do pull ups which are harder for most people. I have always been stronger in pulling movements than pushing. I lift my body up to a sternum chin. It´s different to a normal chin up or pull up.
Guys, you seem to have this fixation on pull ups and Luc Leger. Sit up? Squats? Dips? Once you have got your 7 Pronations under your belt and level 7, you've got look at other things such as endurance.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thanks for the article Rapace. One thing I've wondered about as the years have passed is if the training has become more demanding technically. It's one thing to have a soldier do what's expected of him but it's quite another to have someone have the ability to become an expert at something while in the Legion. I was decent at a few things but when I was swapping radio techniques with one of the SEALS I was outmatched regarding their equipment and support system regardless of how much personal time I put into studying and practicing with the equipment I had at my disposal.

Reactions: j.b

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
We're down to the issue of retaining the best elements for more than one contract. Having said that, radio skills necessary in the Legion and those needed in the SEALs are not exactly comparable. For small Spec Ops units, often operating alone, far from their bases, radio comms are crucial, which is not exactly the same for the Legion or any other ‘standard’ military unit (except maybe for the GCPs and other ‘Spec Ops-like’ units).

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We're down to the issue of retaining the best elements for more than one contract. Having said that, radio skills necessary in the Legion and those needed in the SEALs are not exactly comparable. For small Spec Ops units, often operating alone, far from their bases, radio coms are crucial, which is not exactly the same for the Legion or any other ‘standard’ military unit (except maybe for the GCPs and other ‘Spec Ops-like’ units).
Put it this way, I was a Radio op in the Royal Signals & you sat with Staff Officers. The radio ops in the Artillery in which I also served were much more "slick" command Post & forward observation. I was gun line but went forward as a driver with the ops one time. The Artillery comms were so much faster & better. However as you rightly said can't compare them. Each is doing a different job.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It would be good to know what are the actual radio equipments the Legion are using
Am sure we have come a long way since, at the time, PP11 and 13 and the B.L.U. what with all the digital / satellite tech advances
We should have a thread on equipments, past and present. .future too
Just saying

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It would be good to know what are the actual radio equipments the Legion are using
Am sure we have come a long way since, at the time, PP11 and 13 and the B.L.U. what with all the digital / satellite tech advances
We should have a thread on equipments, past and present. .future too
Just saying
Good post..