a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Quite Ones

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Often think when reading stuff on here about fitness, I think 99% of people making a regiment just go a quietly and join and do it.
Thinking back I told no one for two reasons no one could grass on me and if I bottled it no one would be wiser! Took me 3 try’s 1st time I bottled it and considered going back and doing my time so went back into Paris hung out at the railway station and got a good scan going went to the police told them I had all my stuff missing robbed they gave me the paperwork for the crime I used it to tap brits going home for the fair back most people were helpful the bar across the road was my watering hole they New the scam as I hung about for about 10 days but time was against me the fuc-ers in the bar charged me sitting rates and I always stood with my back safe and my eyes wide don’t won’t to bore you but might rock somebody’s boat I was an enigma I still am but brings back good and bad memories so sorry all for rambling on!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Often think when reading stuff on here about fitness, I think 99% of people making a regiment just go a quietly and join and do it.

That's what one, now dead man told me about year ago. No connection to FFL whatsoever.

He told me : "If someone want to join the legion he don't telling everyone about that. He just go there and join"

I'm really sorry and maybe he (and you Papillon) was on something there, but in other hand I'm not 99.9 % of men. ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I tried once at the RM Depot Deal. I was told, too young, too small, foxtrot Oscar and come back when you are bigger and older. 6 months later I did so in London at 17 years 3 weeks. (1956) My adopted mother was unhappy but thereafter supported me 100%.

17/04/1959 made her day to see me commissioned as a 2Lt. Even more chuffed when I informed her that I had passed the arduous officer's commando course without mishap or re-runs. I never told her that I was undertaking the course in case she worried about her poor little boy !lol:)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Just up and go
Grab a bus on a one way ticket
Sit at the rear and enjoy the view
Avoid sitting beside others
Keep your thought's to your self and contemplate (its free)
Do your thing, man !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Le petit caporal offers very sage advice. Stay the 'grey' man, remain reserved and obey all orders without demur.

I was one of the smallest in my squad. Irrespective of your size never give up.

Then your deams and aspirations may come true.

I was a veritable giant, a tad under 5'7" and wiry with it ! A callow youth. A little squirt ! But after training things changed and rationing had ceased.

So Carpe Diem.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I tried once at the RM Depot Deal. I was told, too young, too small, foxtrot Oscar and come back when you are bigger and older. 6 months later I did so in London at 17 years 3 weeks. (1956) My adopted mother was unhappy but thereafter supported me 100%.

17/04/1959 made her day to see me commissioned as a 2Lt. Even more chuffed when I informed her that I had passed the arduous officer's commando course without mishap or re-runs. I never told her that I was undertaking the course in case she worried about her poor little boy !lol:)

You know, old man in my country they say short man big ... proud.

Resemblance is usually compared with vertical index finger and horizontal thumb (other fingers closed) for tall man and horizontal index finger and vertical thumb for small man. So ... ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You know, old man in my country they say short man big ... proud.

Resemblance is usually compared with vertical index finger and horizontal thumb (other fingers closed) for tall man and horizontal index finger and vertical thumb for small man. So ... ;)

Thank you Dusa. My family were all killed in WW2. Blitzkreig London and father as an o/r in Italy
I was adopted from a children's home by a fantastic lady. She had seen so much of war and suffered greatly. Hence she was not keen on her adopted son joining even tho' she accepted that I would eventually receive my brown envelope and call up papers. So I went of my own accord as a Volunteer. Had I waited I might have landed up in the Army Sanitary Corps. So without a doubt my choice was correct and overall it was frequently boring, sometimes dangerous and intermittently exciting. But it was a real challenge for any young man trying to prove himself.

The last sentence applies much the same for FFL aspirants.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thank you Dusa. My family were all killed in WW2. Blitzkreig London and father as an o/r in Italy
I was adopted from a children's home by a fantastic lady. She had seen so much of war and suffered greatly. Hence she was not keen on her adopted son joining even tho' she accepted that I would eventually receive my brown envelope and call up papers. So I went of my own accord as a Volunteer. Had I waited I might have landed up in the Army Sanitary Corps. So without a doubt my choice was correct and overall it was frequently boring, sometimes dangerous and intermittently exciting. But it was a real challenge for any young man trying to prove himself.

The last sentence applies much the same for FFL aspirants.

Thanks Chas, but I'm not sure that you understood what I was tying to say in sentence "Short man big ... (man's) proud." and comparison with fingers. :)

Did you?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Chas, but I'm not sure that you understood what I was tying to say in sentence "Short man big ... (man's) proud." and comparison with fingers. :)

Did you?

Sorry, I did not and I am a bit 'thick' !