a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Raid marche

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Greetings and salutations,
The dreaded raid Marche 120k 4 days. This is the culmination of all of Castel. One week before you graduate you have this Marche to deal with. I was really worried about this, as this is a huge distance to travel.
The first day we started at the base of a small range of mountains. Two hours of up then down then up then down. We all thought of this is the whole Marche no one will make it. But it eventually leveled out. The biggest challenge of this marche is the weight on your shoulders because we stayed in the road most of the time. After each day the cadre gives you tests on your knowledge in different areas. Such as general legion questions, topography, first aide, combat, and nrbc. They aren't that hard of questions but your tired so you got to really remember your stuff.
The last day of the marche you are tested on a combat test where you shot targets and take a prisoner. After which you run an obstacle course with alot of weight.
Once you finish that you're done! You get one week off sitting around doing nothing.
The Marche was the best one I've ever done. I guess I got stronger cause I made it no problem. My feet hurt but I had no real problems and found myself laughing and having a good time the whole time. Just pack your stuff well carry only what you need, the bare minimum. You should be fine. The fact that this is the last step is a real motivation to keep going.
All in all I find 4RE to be fun. But way too long. You could learn everything in 2 months but I guess that not everyone feels that way.
If you decide to go through with coming here just focus on your reason for coming and don't take the remassing to seriously its not that bad. The legion is a great place to learn some cool skills and meet some great people, just stay focused and try learn French asap.
Cheers, B. B. CODY

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The dreaded raid Marche 120k 4 days. This is the culmination of all of Castel. One week before you graduate you have this Marche to deal with. I was really worried about this, as this is a huge distance to travel.
The first day we started at the base of a small range of mountains. Two hours of up then down then up then down. We all thought of this is the whole Marche no one will make it. But it eventually leveled out. The biggest challenge of this marche is the weight on your shoulders because we stayed in the road most of the time. After each day the cadre gives you tests on your knowledge in different areas. Such as general legion questions, topography, first aide, combat, and nrbc. They aren't that hard of questions but your tired so you got to really remember your stuff.
The last day of the marche you are tested on a combat test where you shot targets and take a prisoner. After which you run an obstacle course with alot of weight.
Once you finish that you're done! You get one week off sitting around doing nothing.
The Marche was the best one I've ever done. I guess I got stronger cause I made it no problem. My feet hurt but I had no real problems and found myself laughing and having a good time the whole time. Just pack your stuff well carry only what you need, the bare minimum. You should be fine. The fact that this is the last step is a real motivation to keep going.
All in all I find 4RE to be fun. But way too long. You could learn everything in 2 months but I guess that not everyone feels that way.
If you decide to go through with coming here just focus on your reason for coming and don't take the remassing to seriously its not that bad. The legion is a great place to learn some cool skills and meet some great people, just stay focused and try learn French asap.
Cheers, B. B. CODY
That sounds like a really good time, I’m curious to know will I be able to bring my own boots and rucksack or are the supplied boots and ruck it?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That sounds like a really good time, I’m curious to know will I be able to bring my own boots and rucksack or are the supplied boots and ruck it?
You got to wear what they give you to you get to your regiment. I brought my army boots and wear them when I'm in the field. I can't wear them on base though. Bring your ruck to aubagne you get it back after basic. Then you should be able to use it when you get to your regiment provided its a camo colored ruck

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah it’s an military green color, boots aren’t a deal breaker just can be an inconvenience adjusting to the new gear.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Cheers, B. B. CODY

Again, congratulations. Refresh my memory, did you serve in the US Military?

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The Raid March really sounds like our Crucible in the Marine Corps. The Crucible is a four day event, a great deal of marches from training areas to training areas. On it you learn more Marine Corp History and learn more about selfless sacrifice. There is sleep deprivation and tests like you describe and fire team/squad team obstacles. at the end there is a very long march in the steep hills and mountains at Camp Pendleton and it is where a Marine is Awarded his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah it’s an military green color, boots aren’t a deal breaker just can be an inconvenience adjusting to the new gear.

Are you talking about Jungle boots? Those went out of service decades ago, just after or during my second enlistment in the early 90s

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Are you talking about Jungle boots? Those went out of service decades ago, just after or during my second enlistment in the early 90s
I seen in a the documentary the guys feet split and bleeding, that’s clearly is a sign that they have bad socks and boots on. I just wanted to know if I have boots that fall within the legions guide lines, if I can wear them in place of the issued pair. I don’t expect the legion to provide me with the best boots on the market.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I’m not sure if you wanted to know what boots I have or what but I have a pair of the sage green steel toe rocky s2v combat boots. I’ve had these for a while now got them on sale, I’ve had a lot of really nice boots and always buy them on sale being in frugal with my spending that being said I would spend the 259$ that they have listed as regular price well worth the 70$ they have them for now.5278

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
One thing to remember is that the boots are part of your uniform which means just that. Most times before going on terrain, you will be on the company parade square in front of the captain. In my day, everyone had the same kit except possibly the sac a dos backpack/rucksack, but that was covered with the same green, later cam,backpack cover. To the point that those who were left handed would have to change their rifle slings to the other side.,
If you carry your own pair of boots in your sac a dos it is extra weight and space.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I get it really not a big deal, just watching those poor guys with the bloody feet makes me cringe 🤣 one guy said my feet hurt but I have to march. I would hate to be the only guy with comfortable boots.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In the Sven Hassel novels they p€ssed on their Boots to soften the leather 😉

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Nh3 ammoniac, used by tanners to soften leather (smells like p$ss, tastes like piss and probally is p$ss)
In Morroco, they soak leather hides in a bassin full of pigeon sh$t
Gives a very soft and flexible leather
They gave the name to the trade, la Maroquinerie.

Last edited by a moderator:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
So now you got it. Problem solved. Just piss on your boots and ask couple of your friends to do the same.
P.S. Don't piss after couple beers because piss wild be manly weather. Do it in the morning when your urine is most concentrated.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Natural seal wax is better than anything, supples the leather and helps to waterproof it,