a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The top ten ways of getting into the Legion

Mick

Reaction score
Tony Clarke said:
I'd just like to say that I'm flabbergasted by the lengths you chaps are willing to go to.
Chapeau bas les jeunes.
I'm just throwing ideas to you all, who are looking at trying out for the FFL that is!
For those who have some idea of what it’s like in a military org. Think back to the day you first joined... Do you remember that day? I do with great detail...why? It's the day you got striped down to nothing and rebuilt...nothing you can do i.e. learning French, running up hills, weights, boxing etc is going to prepare you enough for what I would say is Day 1 into the darkest depths of hell you know. Remember it is going to be some of the hardest training that you can find! Just relax, take the time you have before you go and try out...and think really hard about why you want to do this...the old boys on here are not saying the things they say just for laughs!
They have been there and done this...some of them are trying to save your life...have some of you thought about that you might die? Loose a limb, loose your mind...has anyone thought about PTSD?
I have been thinking some of the things that people have said on here and I don't think some of you get the picture! Take off the rose coloured glasses, take a step back for a moment and think. Why are you wanting this so much! Is it because you have nothing better to do with your life? Is it you think the Legion is cool? I know people will say everybody has their own reasons for joining! I agree! Nobody knows what it will be like (except the people who have been there and got the T Shirt to prove it! (a figure of speech).
I would say that some of you would do really well in their own militaries... give them a go first!
Get your self out of the mind set that you are going to join the Legion! Look at what you have around you, family, friends, maybe a bit of freedom! What about having a bit of a sleep in on a cold Sunday morning? Popping down to the shops for a quick bite to eat?
I have drawn these thoughts on a number of things, firstly from my own military experience. Secondly from living in a country where I am the only foreigner in a city of 600,000 people and third from the amount of traveling I have done with and without the military!
I have a question....has anyone felt what been really lonely feels like? I thought I did...but when I arrived in China...I soon found out I knew nothing about it! The point I am trying to make is...what you have now will go...doesn't matter have much you think you know about the Legion it will not help you at all until you go and try... If the Legion wants you to know all of this info it would send you a joining instruction... Some of you read the advise given to you by the old boys and you say to yourself "doesn't matter. I’m still going to go". As I said before take a step back and look into your soul and try to find the answers to why are you so hung up on this idea.
Now I am not saying that anyone is wrong, you entitled to your own opinions (which you will lose if you go to the Legion). Also run these question through your minds:

1.What makes you want to join the French Foreign Legion?

2.What do you think is the most important thing in your life?

3.Can you leave everything that you know for the Legion?

4.Are you prepared to sell your soul, loose all your rights you have to the Legion?

5.Do you have a clear image as far as what you are to the Legion?

6.Are you willing to die for these reasons you have?

There are hundreds of question that could ask yourself about this subject but if you answer them honestly and you find that you answer “Noâ€￾ to just one of them. I would do a rethink on going!
These are just my thoughts! If you think my ideas are extreme that is you’re right. Or are wrong you are more than welcome to bag the crap out of me!
Good luck to you who go and good luck to you who don’t!
Thank for your time, your thoughts on this would be well received.
(Oh and the term "Old boys" has nothing to do with age! It's just a figure of speech).

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
A good post from someone who has been through another army.
has anyone thought about PTSD?
This can be a pathological/nervous condition/disorder. It is not recognised in the FFL in my medic's experience. Perhaps things have changed since my time but I reckon they're still drowned out by boozy nights and other vices.

Mick

Reaction score
It's the latest term used for what was known as:
"Weak of heart"
"Battle/Combat Fatigue"
"Battle/Combat Shock"
"Battle/Combat Stress"
Take ya pick but it vey common with people who have seem the not so nice parts of militatry service.
It covers some a civilian term as well:
"Survivors Guilt"
Sign and Symptoms include:
Mood swings
Feeling of been on guard all the time.
Heavy drinking to the extreme and for long period of time
Drug use.
Feeling depressed
Anger towards anything and everything
Sleep problems
Flash Backs
Night sweats
The list goes on...safe to say ya just don't feel like the happy little camper before the event/events.
PTSD just makes it sound more of a medical problem not just that ya might of lost ya mind...and ya dribble alot!
As for what I have gathered from this BBS some of these "young warriors" might just get it from the training giving to them in the legion...let alone seeing any active service. I have seen it with my countries army training...some just can't take it. Hangings and the old bullet throught the head happen there from time to time! The new lot don't even get smacks in the mouth and they kill themselves.
I think the real danger for some is the fact that they are in love with the idea of the legion...and sometimes the love is not given back in return!
As for me a day without cleaning or a smack in the head is like a day without sunshine" but still I'm not going to do anything rash even with my own army!

BobW

Top Member
Reaction score
The US Government established a center dedicated to treating PTSD. At the Veterans Medical Center, White River Junction, Vermont (near Canada) the center is located with regional offices.

One key point re PTSD; it can affect those on the periphery of traumatic stress. There are examples of radio operators getting PTSD. Just the hearing of messages on those killed or wounded can "trigger" PTSD.

Preventing PTSD is just like other personal military medical matters. There are methods and techniques for its prevention.

Here's the link to the US Veterans Medical Center specializing in PTSD:
www.ncptsd.org

Warm regards,
BobW

Mick

Reaction score
My last post was just a very brief overview...having been in these stressful enviroments is enough to do it too you....as you said there are preventative measures that you can use....but I don't think the legion would encourage group hugs and the like....just trying to put a few ideas across to see if some of these young warriors might make a more informed approach to life in the legion...as it seems most of them don't care or don't want to know about what might happen to them both physically and mentally...just food for thought nothing more nothing less.

DanMitsu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sometimes one would not know till they are there. Mind's analize things difrent than other. For reaction, some with a correct mind set, say per devlepment. Act acordingly, from one beleifs in such matter. Maturity does act as one instance. Stress presents, many things, fear,aniexty. Many become dis'anluje by the sites.

You must know, deep in side ones person. That thee action, which was made, was the correct one. When faced, with such presents. Some respond with a distant look-the mind is Oz. All you can hope for is with a yell, of wake de **** up. that such a person would pull himself back to complete the task.

The posts made about this are very serious. It is no longer a game, that may be turned off when things get bad. You must have the discipline inside to focus on your purpose.

The phrase "one day at a time" is just that.

Slivovitz

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Howdy all,
Interesting thread...
A question to all you legionnaires out there: one does feel a certain amount of pride and honor in being a legionnaire does he not? Does being smacked around and lonely all day have any effect on this, does it enforce it or weigh on it?
Hope my question doesn't offend anyone, but it seems to me that you're not really saying anything good about life in the Legion... I mean, in your opinion what IS good about being a legionnaire? Perhaps this is the wrong thread for that question... hope it doesn't offend anybody... I'm just trying to get any and all perspectives (both good and bad) on life in the FFL before I join. I know it's tough, but there's got to be something that makes it worthwhile. Honor perhaps?
Cheers,
William

Mick

Reaction score
As you said with all the negatives been expressed....I to would wonder what is good about the Legion...but on saying that....I would not be able to give you positive thoughts about my own army...besides the old job security line, regular pay blah blah blah. Every army has that except maybe Russia and the PNGDF.
I do understand why the old boys tell it like it is....it isn't a game...they train to fight and win....if they droped their standards in hardening their troops maybe they wouldn't be viable option for the French to have...All I know from seeing them operate in a few PK OP's they certainly know how to scare the bjesus's out of the BooBoos (Beau, Hope ya don't mind me borrowing that) beats using terms like Skinnys or Hoot'nToots or even the good old BRA(Boring named Rebel Army).

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Things could have changed since my time, but I doubt that Legionnaires do get smacked around on a regular basis. Perhaps only some during basic training? (And not everyone either).

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Voltigeur1 said:
Things could have changed since my time, but I doubt that Legionnaires do get smacked around on a regular basis. Perhaps only some during basic training? (And not everyone either).
Man oh Man, Voltigeur, you don't know what an isolated island or remote camp does to legionnaires: it's a bit like the desert: "on chope les mouches aussi!!!..."

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Eagle eye said:
Man oh Man, Voltigeur, you don't know what a isolated island or remote camp does to legionnaires: it's a bit like the desert: "on chope les mouches aussi!!!..."
Actually, I think I do. My whole five years was spend in isolated camps with only the whores of the mobile bordellos as company. In my five years I did get one holiday of twenty days in a rest camp for legionnaires (in Arzew Algeria) and even there, we could only get some local whores. See pics on my web site :D , she was not pretty. The normal girls French or Pied Noir had no interest in hooking up with Legionnaires. Occasionally an NCO could get lucky on that account :mad:

yatez 44

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Know what you mean Eagle eye, Mururoa atoll, 5RMP, work, workout, drink alot of beer, bet on dog and rooster fights, not a women on the atoll.They flew us up to Papeete every 9 or 12 weeks (can't remember), so we could get are Rocks off. That Atoll made time Drag buy was happy to get back to CIE combat. Had some guy hang himself on the sea wall when i was there...Tape dans les gamelles !!

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Voltigeur1 said:
Actually, I think I do. My whole five years was spend in isolated camps with only the whores of the mobile bordellos as company. In my five years I did get one holiday of twenty days in a rest camp for legionnaires (in Arzew Algeria) and even there, we could only get some local whores. See pics on my web site :D , she was not pretty. The normal girls French or Pied Noir had no interest in hooking up with Legionnaires. Occasionally an NCO could get lucky on that account :mad:
Don't get me wrong: I ain't knocking you for I said like in the desert (like yourself among many others) and that it was pretty much the same in Bonifacio "chez Ch*****l, the old slapper.
yatez 44 said:
Know what you mean Eagle eye, Mururoa atoll, 5RMP, work, workout, drink alot of beer, bet on dog and rooster fights, not a women on the atoll.They flew us up to Papeete every 9 or 12 weeks (can't remember), so we could get are Rocks off. That Atoll made time Drag buy was happy to get back to CIE combat. Had some guy hang himself on the sea wall when i was there...Tape dans les gamelles !!
One of the craziest corporals I knew in Bonifacio, Cpl L., who got 3x30 days in the space of as many months pretty much (takes some doing) was sent there. He came back and during a quiet drink in Nîmes, he told me: "Don't go there...". He was a tough tough bugger in barracks but out on walkabout a different story. In Mayotte in 2000 or so, he reportedly hung the company commander out of the window for nicking his local girlfriend...No joke...

Last edited:

Croquemort

Reaction score
After over ten years service + and still based at an ATR I have noted that physical abuse of recruits has almost been eliminated. What a difference to my father's time when he took the Queen's shilling in 1956. In those days if you looked sideways at an NCO you got a severe slap or punch. If you showed promise and committed a crime the RSM would offer you six of the best with his cane rather than have a black mark recorded in your pay book which would diminish your promotion chances. I doubt that the FFL is as robust with its recruits and serving members as it was in Joe's day. Certainly the Foot Guards have easier discipline than in days of yore.

Our recruits all have access to the Padre and a qualified Guidance Counsellor as do most regiments. Now regiments are taking stress, battle fatigue, causes and consequences very seriously. In previous times it was known as LMF. (Lack of moral fibre.)

A friend of my father who served in the FFL IN 1982 after serving in the Household Cavalry has just given my father as a a token of esteem an original BBC video tape of Simon Murray's visit to the Legion in 82. The film was shown in 83 and has fantastic war footage and an interview with X discussing legion life.

It is a superb Christmas prezzy !

Caniche.