Thin line between "pushing beyond limits" and "humility"

himalayan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Nepal
A question especially to veterans, endurance athletes or those who have served for at least a decade who frequent this forum or just happened to lurk around and saw this post. I guess the title is self-explanatory. I would like to know how would one be able to find a balance between the two because I assume we need both in order to thrive (mentally + physically) in any situation. Examples (not necessarily personal, although that would be great) will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Himalayan, I sadly am unable to why you use the adjective humility in this context.

Your basic training will be hard and through squad training and comradeship you will achieve a great deal of personal and unit pride. This should be balanced with the realisation that many others have done so before you.

A young man a month or so ago undertaking his commando training informed me that he felt infinitely superior to civilians who had never undertaken such rigorous training. I told him that if he ever earned the Coveted Green Beret he would become a member of an exclusive club, however he should not ram it down the throat of others who had not endured so much hardship. I pointed out that with physical achievement there should also be an ethos of humility.

The Thapas and Gurungs who served me were fantastic. Gurkha izaat ek dum atcha hai. Gurkha jawans " Shabash".

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
however he should not ram it down the throat of others who had not endured so much hardship
I'm sure that during war, where we have seen numerous accounts, whether they are personal or someone else recounting them, where their courage under fire has surpassed the 'limits'.