JOINING Thinking about joining.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hello all Legionnaires and retired Legionnaires. I am twenty one years old and from Texas, USA. I've recently been thinking about enlisting for the Legion. Why? For starters I have been wanting to be a soldier since I was about ten years old seeing a recruiting ad for the US Army. I also come from a very military traditional family that dates back to World War 1 and since then I was involved with JCC (Junior Cadet Corps) in middle school and JROTC in high school and I tried enlisting for the Army in my senior year of high school but after I had taken my ASVAB I was then approached by an Army veteran who had told me that joining the Army wasn't worth it. He had told me that recruits are given stress cards in case they can't handle being yelled at by a Drill Sergeant or just can't handle the stress of basic training and that the Army will look for any reason to kick people out. At first I brushed it off thinking he was some guy who absolutely hated being in the military but then most of my friends (six to be exact) who did enlist in the Army, four of them were kicked out of basic for the stupidest reasons. Two were kicked out a week before their graduation (one sprained his ankle and another blew out his knee), the third was kicked out because he lost his hearing a bit during a combat simulation but it came back within a couple days, and the other was kicked out for an unknown reason (I haven't spoken to him in a while) but it wasn't for getting in trouble or mouthing off at the Drill Sergeants (he's not that type of person). Also I've read in basic training you can have a cell phone, iPods, and such and I've seen YouTube videos of recruits in the barracks to know that is actually true. In my opinion a recruit shouldn't have any of that, you're there to learn and pay attention, not hang out. So learning that all of that was true I decided not to join the Army so I began looking into the Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps and learned those branches are starting to go the same direction as the Army. Call me crazy but I actually want to get challenged. So I put off joining for a while and have just been working here and there. Me being the amateur history buff I am, I always knew the Foreign Legion existed but all I had known about them was from what I read about them during both World Wars, French Indochina, and Cameron. So I began researching the Foreign Legion in modern times and what I would like to know is mainly the aptitude test and what are the subjects I need to study. Also what the the physical requirements are. I'm not concerned with the medical part as I have all of my teeth, all ten fingers and toes, all internal organs, etc. I do wear glasses though. Also is knowing basic French (enough to hold a conversation) required or not? I know a Legionnaire only gets paid about 1,000 Euros a month but I'm not wanting to enlist for money. Also is it true that the Legion generally frowns upon Americans or westerners wanting to join in general? All answers will be greatly appreciated, and have a nice day, morning, evening or night, wherever you are. Thank you for reading.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, KTM and welcome (26 is your age?)
7 pull ups
7 on the Luc Léger beep test
Swim a bit
Travel light
If you want it, go look for it (use the search button ) Most of your questions, you answered your self but use the search button anyway
If some one shouts at you. ..
Who ever it might be
Legion instructor
Your father
Your boy freind
Who cares, there's only 2 choices open to you
1. . You kick him straight in the bollocks. .or
2...You Stfu
You are free to choose what ever

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
OK KTM 26 welcome to forum. To be honest I think your friends BS-ing about reason they don't enlisted ... but who knows

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello KTM 26 and welcome to the forum. As le petit caporal suggest - use the search button.
If I might add, you should also use the 'return' button on your keyboard. It isn't that much fun read a block of text.

train hard and then make up your mind if you really want to go and start preparing in consequence.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Youwee, the Yankee soldiers must be getting very soft, indeed.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
KTM 26,
Welcome to the forum. Note all posts from the Greens for they have all served their contracts with honour and fidelity.

Nothing surprises me about training standards. My son works at a British Army Training Regiment. He has told me that over the years the training has become much softer and recruits are molly coddled.

A vast change from the mid 1950s when I served and the likes of Jonny and Volt in the FFL.

Chas Green Beret school of 1956.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Youwee, the Yankee soldiers must be getting very soft, indeed.
Only some units maintain this higher standard. Not to say that there are not good, tough men in the "yankee" forces, because there are, but the bureaucracy has failed them for sure.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
The training company across mine was rewarded with pizza for completing a March once. That is truly weakness. The reward was completing the March and then you are able to say, I am on my way to be a soldier.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Only some units maintain this higher standard. Not to say that there are not good, tough men in the "yankee" forces, because there are, but the bureaucracy has failed them for sure.
The recruits now are in most cases more educated than in years gone by. Look at the technology now in the military, they need people to operate it so can´t be compared with years ago. Even since i was in the Army it´s changed very fast. I don´t think the recruits now would put up with any harsh treatment and the military need then. I am sure there are still Infantry units in the US that still train a bit harder. Plus you will always get people who say ..but in my Day it was harder.. times always change.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
One thing is certain the US cops are hard on people.. 😁 Seen some pretty crazy Videos on the Web. Not a cop Hater as i am sure there are a lot of good cops too.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
One thing is certain the US cops are hard on people.. 😁 Seen some pretty crazy Videos on the Web. Not a cop Hater as i am sure there are a lot of good cops too.
Yeah don't piss off US cops, especially in Texas. Very, very bad for you 😂