a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is it: I'm going to France

paco05

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Hello mates. I'm posting this now because I'm going on a plane to Paris on 16/01. I got everything sorted out, my passport, my documents, my army and marine corps documents translated into French and the original copy, my birth certificate translated into French and the original copy, running shoes, underwear, t-shirts, socks, personal hygiene items, etc. and 150 Euros. I booked a room in a hotel more or less near the Fort de Nogent for more than the time I'm supposed to stay, just for safety. I plan on going to Fort de Nogent on my 2nd day there, so that I can have a good night of sleep. I learned basic French in the past 5 months, including basic commands and such so I think I will be fine. Overall I'm not that anxious especially because I participated in other recruitment processes. I know it's going to be tough, but I'm prepared physically and mentally. I already checked my health and my motivation is good, so I'm confident. If I don't make another thread or reply to this one in the next months, consider me in cause I don't plan on buying a cellphone or a computer for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
paco05, best of luck mate. It seems that you have everything planned out, well done. Just one point; the 150 Euros. You are allowed to take more. If you do not need it, it will be kept safe for you. But if you do need it, then it's there.
Take some good disinfectant soap with you like dettol. Make sure your running shoes are marked on the outside.

Attachments

• Dettol-Soap.jpg
    Dettol-Soap.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 3

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello mates. I'm posting this now because I'm going on a plane to Paris on 16/01. I got everything sorted out, my passport, my documents, my army and marine corps documents translated into french and the original copy, my birth certificate translated into french and the original copy, running shoes, underwear, t-shirts, socks, personal hygiene items, etc and 150 Euros. I booked a room in a hotel more or less near the Fort de Nogent for more than the time I'm supposed to stay, just for safety. I plan on going to Fort de Nogent on my 2nd day there, so that I can have a good night of sleep. I learned basic french in the past 5 months, including basic commands and such so I think I will be fine. Overall I'm not that anxious especially because I participated in other recruitment processes. I know it's going to be tough, but I'm prepared physically and mentally. I already checked my health and my motivation is good, so I'm confident. If I don't make another thread or reply to this one in the next months, consider me in cause I don't plan on buying a cellphone or a computer for a long time.

You seem to be taking it very seriously so from what I read you have a very good chance of getting in, How old are you?

Good luck

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hello mates. I'm posting this now because I'm going on a plane to Paris on 16/01. I got everything sorted out, my passport, my documents, my army and marine corps documents translated into french and the original copy, my birth certificate translated into french and the original copy, running shoes, underwear, t-shirts, socks, personal hygiene items, etc and 150 Euros. I booked a room in a hotel more or less near the Fort de Nogent for more than the time I'm supposed to stay, just for safety. I plan on going to Fort de Nogent on my 2nd day there, so that I can have a good night of sleep. I learned basic french in the past 5 months, including basic commands and such so I think I will be fine. Overall I'm not that anxious especially because I participated in other recruitment processes. I know it's going to be tough, but I'm prepared physically and mentally. I already checked my health and my motivation is good, so I'm confident. If I don't make another thread or reply to this one in the next months, consider me in cause I don't plan on buying a cellphone or a computer for a long time.

Good luck mate, I hope we don't hear from you for a while!(Preferably 4 months);)

paco05

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Hello guys, I don't have a lot of time but I'm really happy to share the information that I got in and currently am completing basic training. I'm at Aubagne right now at my last week of basic and I can't share much stuff right now but i'm pretty sure that I will get into either the 2e REP or the 2e REG.
I don't have any free time so don't expect me to answer anything here until 3 or 4 months. I will respond to the PMs from mods confirming it too prob about that time. Just a heads up, the Legion isn't entirely what I expected but that doesn't mean I don't like it. There are a lot of shady peoples, however they wash out mostly. I never had problems with my NCOs and COs until now and they were mostly nice people. But don't come here and expect it to be like those documentaries you see on youtube, a lot of guys here went with that kind of mind and they suffered a lot, mostly washing out. I would really like to share more information about it but currently I can't and specially since I'm going to my regiment and I don't have neither a PC or a cellphone.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
All the best keep your head down don’t be influenced by negativity and keep your conversations lighthearted and your private life private if you get what I mean!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Paco, when you have a spare minute. ..can you confirm for us the anonyme situation (is it for evry one, or do you have to ask for it or is it the Legion who decides that certain must change their name?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Paco, when you have a spare minute. ..can you confirm for us the anonyme situation (is it for evry one, or do you have to ask for it or is it the Legion who decides that certain must change their name?
BITD it was choice but interested to no if compulsory now keep us informed Thanks

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Bom día Paco, the opening post of this thread where you said you were leaving for France was made around mi-Jan. I’m a bit surprised to hear you say, less than three months later, that you’ve completed your basic training. If we take off about two weeks for selection, you must have started the basic training early Feb. Can you explain that?
Whenever you’ve got a chance, check your PM, for instructions on a simple verification procedure.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
How come you are at Aubagne and not still at Castel if you have not finished instruction?

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
It is obligatory for everyone now. Few years back they gave you a choice but from 2014 (I think) they change your identity by default.
Paco, if you come to 2.reg send me a message if you need anything. I'll be returning from Mali around middle of october. Good luck.

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Bom día Paco, the opening post of this thread where you said you were leaving for France was made around mi-Jan. I’m a bit surprised to hear you say, less than three months later, that you’ve completed your basic training. If we take off about two weeks for selection, you must have started the basic training early Feb. Can you explain that?
Whenever you’ve got a chance, check your PM, for instructions on a simple verification procedure.
When I was there on selection in Aubagne there were a few guys who stayed for more than 5 weeks as ‘rouge’. One had to wait for some specific tests and so on. And than it can take up to 3 weeks in Castel before instruction starts if they don't have enough people to fill the Section. My stay at the farm lasted for 5 weeks because we had to go on exercice régimentaire. It was only few weeks after Farm that we got our first QL and I was able to find a computer and a phone to contact anyone. He probably just finished Farm and maybe Caylus. He will have another month or two to go.
Don't know if any of that is the case here, but anything can be happening.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
When I was there on selection in Aubagne there were a few guys who stayed for more than 5 weeks as ‘rouge’. One had to wait for some specific tests and so on. And than it can take up to 3 weeks in Castel before instruction starts if they don't have enough people to fill the Section. My stay at the farm lasted for 5 weeks because we had to go on exercice régimentaire. It was only few weeks after Farm that we got our first QL and I was able to find a computer and a phone to contact anyone. He probably just finished Farm and maybe Caylus. He will have another month or two to go.
Don't know if any of that is the case here, but anything can be happening.
Well... Unless I misread something, or something got lost in translation (let's not forget we're not all native English speakers), he says he's completed basic training and is currently in Aubagne, hence my interrogation. Anyway, let's wait for some clarifications on his part.