Thomas Gast's Book

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
Any of you have sir Thomas Gast's book on the legion? Is it that good and useful?

Sohito

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
French Foreign Legion for beginners, available on Amazon? It costs couple dollars as kindle version ($3.37). It's just basic knowledge+ (mostly), compressed into something You can read in one afternoon. If You did Your research, there won't be much new stuff for You. It's definitely worth the price, though. For me it was worth those few dollars even just for an idea of circuit training a la Legion, he put in there. And for what Thomas Gast does, I was glad to be able to support him, even if it's just couple dollars- if he writes something more, I will probably get it too.

To say short, it is what title suggests: beginner's guide, answers for frequently asked questions. Answered by someone, who knows his business very well. Some informartions and advices, too.

EDIT: Saying that about kindle version, I think that 20$ for paperback is little bit too much, by the way.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
French Foreign Legion for beginners, available on Amazon? It costs couple dollars as kindle version ($3.37). It's just basic knowledge+ (mostly), compressed into something You can read in one afternoon. If You did Your research, there won't be much new stuff for You. It's definitely worth the price, though. For me it was worth those few dollars even just for an idea of circuit training a la Legion, he put in there. And for what Thomas Gast does, I was glad to be able to support him, even if it's just couple dollars- if he writes something more, I will probably get it too.

To say short, it is what title suggests: beginner's guide, answers for frequently asked questions. Answered by someone, who knows his business very well. Some informartions and advices, too.

EDIT: Saying that about kindle version, I think that 20$ for paperback is little bit too much, by the way.
i know you can find the code of honor of the legion online, but does the book have it too?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
i know you can find the code of honor of the legion online, but does the book have it too?
Article 1
Légionnaire, tu es un volontaire servant la France avec honneur et fidélité.

Article 2
Chaque légionnaire est ton frère d'arme quelle que soit sa nationalité, sa race, sa religion. Tu lui manifestes toujours la solidarité étroite qui doit unir les membres d'une même famille.

Article 3
Respectueux des traditions, attaché à tes chefs, la discipline et la camaraderie sont ta force, le courage et la loyauté tes vertus.

Article 4
Fier de ton état de légionnaire, tu le montres dans ta tenue toujours élégante, ton comportement toujours digne mais modeste, ton casernement toujours net.

Article 5
Soldat d'élite, tu t'entraînes avec rigueur, tu entretiens ton arme comme ton bien le plus précieux, tu as le souci constant de ta forme physique.

Article 6
La mission est sacrée, tu l'exécutes jusqu'au bout et si besoin, en opérations, au péril de ta vie.

Article 7
Au combat, tu agis sans passion et sans haine, tu respectes les ennemis vaincus, tu n'abandonnes jamais ni tes morts, ni tes blessés, ni tes armes.

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
On a side note, how long are you given to memorize the code in the Legion? I got the whole thing memorized now, but I make mistakes sometimes with the verbs. Is it a big advantage to have this memorized beforehand?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
It is Thomas Gast's opinion as he says in his videos that learning the code of Honor will be a benefit to you...good job learning it already, I'm right behind you.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yes of course. That is most important thing in FFL. Learn legions Code of Honor by heart! Doesn't matter if you understand it or if you live by it, but you if you can spit it out in middle of night ... you are good legionnaire.

I would really like for some legionnaires to tell me that I'm wrong. Am I? Joe, Jonny, others?

Unforchanatly this spiting out of Code of Honor is representative to many other things.

Bad things that should be changed. By that I don't mean following orders and respecting ranks!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
You are correct Dusa. however, I think that the origin of learning the code of honor in Aubagne was part of a test. It was designed to see how quickly you could assimilate learning something in one night. Of course it got back to the forum from those who had joined or tried to join and now it is recommended to everyone who is going to learn it before hand. I wouldn't learn it off by heart with out knowing its meaning. Not only does it defeat the object but there is a chance that you may be questioned on it.
If for some reason you are asked if you knew the code of honor before going to join and you answer yes. You will look pretty dumb if you are asked its meaning.

While we are on the subject of joining. Make sure that you are ready 100%. By that I , mean no infections. Make sure that you have had your teeth seen to JUST before joining. If you have got any scars that you even think that you may need an x-ray, then take along the most recent one that you have. If it is dated too long ago then get another one.

In the past, people who needed simple fillings were told to come back once it was fixed. The same as for an x-ray. It will be a long time before France gets back to normal. I mean they were warned that there were we not enough PPEs for those on the front line in 2018.
All right who would have guessed that there would be a Pandemic in 2020? However, once word had gotten out that there was a possibility of an epidemic stemming from China at the start of the Chinese New Year. The time when there are millions per day travelling home, Some from abroad and then returning back abroad. Do you think that the French would say to themselves 💡perhaps we may be hit with something big?
Of course it wasn't just La France who was caught off guard (remember the Marginal line:ROFLMAO:

1587979499210.png

Of course it isn't Only France who were caught off guard, but who cares, it is not as as though you are going to join the British Legion.