Thought Of The Day

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
MAC started this in the old forum...just thought I'd carry it on...this was sent to me via email...think it says alot

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old.
I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old...Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let her know.
Old Age, I decided, is a gift. I am now, probably for the first time in my life,the person I have always wanted to be.
Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt.
And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my
mother/father!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.
I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.
As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself, I've become my own friend.I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio.
I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.
I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon, before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.
Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?
I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60/70's & 80's and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love...
I will walk along the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet-set.
They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things...
Sure, over the years my heart has been broken.
How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when achild suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?
But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will
never know the joy of being imperfect.
I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever
etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.
As you get older, it is easier to be positive.
You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
I've even earned the right to be wrong.
So, to answer your question, I like being old.
It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.
And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it }:| )

V

Venus

Unregistered
" The victory of success is half won when one gains the habit of setting goals and achieving them. Even the most tedious chore will become endurable as you parade through each day convinced that every task, no matter how menial or boring, brings you closer to fulfilling your dreams."
--- Og Mandino

OP
Bags

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.

joette ✞

In Memoriam....Retired and missed Mod ...
Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Respect yourself and others will respect you.
Confucius

joette ✞

Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States

One thing I can give and still keep...is my word.

OP
Bags

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Its a well known fact...what goes around comes around... ;)

joette ✞

Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Bags said:
Its a well known fact...what goes around comes around... ;)

:) ;) ;)

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
live for the day, tomorrow you might be dead.

OP
Bags

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Irrespective of the hand you've been dealt, the luck you've had or the family you come from - this is the only shot you've got so make the most of it.

Be the best you can be, make the most of your opportunities and have some fun while you're here...

OP
Bags

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
It is one of life's laws that as soon as one door closes another opens. But the tragedy is we look at the closed door and disregard the open one.

OP
Bags

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take, and the relationships we were scared to have and the decisions we waited to long to make.
There comes a time in your life when you realise, who matter's, who doesn't, who never did and who always will.
So don't worry about the people from your past, there's a reason they didn't make it to your future...

OP
Bags

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just wanting to bring this back up.

20190417_130154.jpg

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Well, the thought of the day here in Australia is that today it’s ANZAC day (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps). That’s the day when most of Australia get together to commemorate all those soldiers from the two nations that were killed during the invasion of a southern Turkish peinsula called Gallipoli. The French, including the legion, invaded as well, but further south on the peninsula.

Today There are dawn ceremonies at the war memorials of cities and towns all over Australia, as well as at Gallipoli and Villiers-Brettoneux at the Somme in Northern France, where many ANZACs also lie buried in war graves.

Then, after the ceremony and the march through town we all head for the nearest RSL club (Returned Servicemens League) for a few well earned drinks.

I quite like the way this country honours their fallen soldiers, from the world wars and right up to the most recent conflicts in Afghanistan, etc.

For those who are interested:

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
MAC started this in the old forum...just thought I'd carry it on...this was sent to me via email...think it says alot

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old.
I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old...Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let her know.
Old Age, I decided, is a gift. I am now, probably for the first time in my life,the person I have always wanted to be.
Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt.
And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my
mother/father!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.
I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.
As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself, I've become my own friend.I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio.
I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.
I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon, before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.
Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?
I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60/70's & 80's and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love...
I will walk along the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet-set.
They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things...
Sure, over the years my heart has been broken.
How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when achild suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?
But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will
never know the joy of being imperfect.
I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever
etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.
As you get older, it is easier to be positive.
You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
I've even earned the right to be wrong.
So, to answer your question, I like being old.
It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.
And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it }:| )
Bags, I’m all with you on those sentiments (perhaps with the exception of the sagging bum, more like growing beer belly in my case) 😅

Last edited:

Most viewed threads of the week