a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for future Legionnaires

Greven

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Hello,

I'm a fifteen year old guy living in Sweden. for as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a soldier. When I was about 8 years old, I read about the Foreign legion and I've wanted to be a legionnaire ever since. They're the elite, one of the best units in the world. A career in the Swedish army cannot compare to a career in the Legion. I would like to hear all tips from former and present legionnaires, it would be a honor to hear from you. I'm currently working out 4 times a week in the local gym, mostly focusing on strength. I'm also active in the Swedish national guard cadet corps, where you learn basic military skills, like marching, military first aid, discipline, shooting etc. I know the Legion has its own ways of doing all those things, but hey, it's a start, right? Anyway, please tell me all tips you can think of!

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
This thread might help you out:

"Legion Preparation Training"
Legion Preparation Training

Plus just keep reading through all the various threads on this site. There are tons of threads that can help you and give you information about the Legion as well as tons of threads on fitness programs and so on. Though the above thread will sort you out.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Awesome, now we have a 'Noble' amongst us, is Herrn (Sire) really a Count? :D Anyway, you can find most answers to your question by searching the threads, as suggested by Nickfury, by using the search box (Advanced search) for that. If it is something particular you want an answer to, give us a 'shout.'

Greven

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Awesome, now we have a 'Noble' amongst us, is Herrn (Sire) really a Count? :D Anyway, you can find most answers to your question by searching the threads, as suggested by Nickfury, by using the search box (Advanced search) for that. If it is something particular you want an answer to, give us a 'shout.'

Hahaha, well not really, it's a old nickname most men in my family have been called. I was wondering, what are the most important words to know when you first join? I don't speak french fluently but I'm planning to take a course in french a year or so before I join.

Greven

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
This thread might help you out:

"Legion Preparation Training"
Legion Preparation Training

Plus just keep reading through all the various threads on this site. There are tons of threads that can help you and give you information about the Legion as well as tons of threads on fitness programs and so on. Though the above thread will sort you out.

Thanks, I'll add that to my workout routine.

Löken

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Before leave you can do GMU and then go for KJ,FJS or K4 and after a year or 2 and still think this is funny go for Legion.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I'm a fifteen year old guy living in Sweden. for as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a soldier. When I was about 8 years old, I read about the Foreign legion and I've wanted to be a legionnaire ever since. They're the elite, one of the best units in the world. A career in the Swedish army cannot compare to a career in the Legion. I would like to hear all tips from former and present legionnaires, it would be a honor to hear from you. I'm currently working out 4 times a week in the local gym, mostly focusing on strength. I'm also active in the Swedish national guard cadet corps, where you learn basic military skills, like marching, military first aid, discipline, shooting etc. I know the Legion has its own ways of doing all those things, but hey, it's a start, right? Anyway, please tell me all tips you can think of!

Hello Greven,

You are, as you mentioned, a 15 year old BOY living in Sweden.

I did not want to hurt you by changing "guy" into "boy", but you must realize that you cannot join the Legion before you are 17 1/2 (and in that case with the authorization of both parents) or before 18 without parental authorization. That leaves you lots of time to think about what you really want as military career : the Legion, the Swedish Army (which is good according to one of my Swedish brother legionnaire), or another EU Army (some, like the Belgians, take all EU nationals). I am convinced by your post that you really want to become a soldier, but where remains to be decided by you : think about it and let us know (more by PM if you so desire)

For the time being, you should concentrate on school and study, on top of gym and cadet corps. Having a diploma is not a must for a legionnaire, but it is never bad later and you will not remain in the Legion, or in another Army, for ever, even if you make a long and glorious military career !

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
(...) I was wondering, what are the most important words to know when you first join? I don't speak french fluently but I'm planning to take a course in french a year or so before I join.
No obligation to speak French, but if things hasn't changed in Swedish educational system, you could take French courses, while attending Högstadiet or while attending Gymnasieskola. (I finished my school years in 1979, all in all 11 years, 9 obligatory + 2)

Greven

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Another question! I've had a ear infection and been sick for a week or so now and I'm going to do a hearing test tomorrow, nothing special, just a routine procedure, haven't had any hearing problems but it couldn't hurt to compare my hearing to legion requirements, so what is the hearing requirements?

Löken

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Gut, best to do is stay a 1 or 2 to get basic.
My best advice are make a workout plan and stick to it.

Renard.E

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Before leave you can do GMU and then go for KJ,FJS or K4 and after a year or 2 and still think this is funny go for Legion.

Greven, think this option hard as well. Your country man Löken writes wisely. I met one of your specialgruppen man in Africa. Have to say that he worked/helped us more than rest of the company in total. In Sweden you have really good options too!

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Home Country
San Marino
Another question! I've had a ear infection and been sick for a week or so now and I'm going to do a hearing test tomorrow, nothing special, just a routine procedure, haven't had any hearing problems but it couldn't hurt to compare my hearing to legion requirements, so what is the hearing requirements?

If you qualify as normal and good for civilian life it should be the same for the legion. The test is simple you sit in a sound proof box, you wear headphones, you hear beeps and you press a button for either right or left side...though I have also done where you raise a hand, depending on which side and can't remember which was the legion's style. Regardless some of the beeps are so faint you think you are imagining them. Press the button anyway. I have taken them so many times and always was straining to hear anything and felt for sure I was either imagining sounds or missing sounds but I always passed as normal. :) So do your best.

Word of advice is that many young people who listen to headphones have hearing loss that places them in the same category of 40 year olds. Always be careful to keep the volume below about 70%.
This site gives GREAT advice and information, lots to read. Hell I'm scared reading it as i love my Ipod when i run or hike etc. I probably ****ed up my hearing a bit.
LINK IS HERE: GENERATION DEAF

Greven

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Thanks!

Passed the hearing test without problems so no worries. That explains why many of my friends have so bad hearing ;).

seth1

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
It was the final day before we went to castel, Two of us went to the hospital to follow up on our ears. I ended up having Middle ear inflammation. I was discharged temporarily (1 year) I want back a year later with no hearing problems, except for speeding tickets on my license, witch Ive forgotten about. When in gestapo they asked if "I was ever in trouble with the Law" I said no. I got an ass reaming from a couple different guys telling me how I was lying and then they told me they where speeding tickets.... It came to rouge selection again, I was not picked this time. Pretty shitty situation, as I wanted it bad enough to go back again, but that is life.

Future hopeful

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
You went, you had bad luck unfortunately but you were honest to your knowledge and gave it your all and that's what counts! Not sure how long ago this was but I hope far past or recent that you have carried on and made a success of yourself.

Best regards

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Home Country
San Marino
It was the final day before we went to castel, Two of us went to the hospital to follow up on our ears. I ended up having Middle ear inflammation. I was discharged temporarily (1 year) I want back a year later with no hearing problems, except for speeding tickets on my license, witch Ive forgotten about. When in gestapo they asked if "I was ever in trouble with the Law" I said no. I got an ass reaming from a couple different guys telling me how I was lying and then they told me they where speeding tickets.... It came to rouge selection again, I was not picked this time. Pretty shitty situation, as I wanted it bad enough to go back again, but that is life.

Totally forgot that they sent you home at Rouge Selection the 2nd time. Made no sense since you passed the first time, went home and did the surgery, waited a year and came back ready to go. Was it the speeding tickets? Seems minor and a silly reason to cut you.

Future hopeful

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
You'll have to pardon me Nick if this is an unintelligent question, I'm not running on full cylinders right now but what didn't make sense Nick? I think for the latter half it's because in THEIR eyes he lied and we all know having gone or not how much they (let alone anyone) despise lying.