To Jonny in response to his comments in his latest post

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
I would think that you would be old and mature enough to reply in a civil manner in any dialog.
There is no need to use insults to bring your points across.
Now, here is an e mail reply to me from an other former French officer about 1961.
Note that the 2em Rep left for the Algiers airport, not Phillipeville
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 1

Hello Joe,
Here are a few other details about the putsch and the units which took part, actively or had made their choice very clear.

Legion Etrangere:
1erREP: the lead unit, disbanded 30th April 1961.
2eREP: left the base in Philippeville and went to Algiers.
5eREI: the president of AALEC Montreal is an "ancien", I shall ask him.
1erREC: active, 1 escadron at least at Algiers airport?
2eREC: remained in Djelfa but was ready to move.
Quite a few supportive help from other regiments, but not as a whole unit.
From la Reguliere:
14eRCP, 18eRCP: very active, disbanded on 30th April 1961.
Commandos de l'Air: very active, disbanded same date.
GCP(Paracommandos): very active, disbanded also.
13eRDP: active in Constantine and Telergma. Chep de corps arrested, several officers and no coms were tried. Regiment was affected to police duties in Constantine.
This list is non exhaustive and drawn from memory.
The 10th DP (Airborne) was also disbanded on 30th April, as well as several of its units, like for instance the 20eGAP(Airborne Artillery).
The 2eREC was transferred from south Algerois to the south Constantinois, that is from Djelfa to Biskra, Ferkane, Negrine in February 1962.
On 31st July of the same year the Dauphin was disbanded and its remnants transferred to your 1stREC.
The French Army did not need 2 Legion armoured calvalry regiments. But I was already gone at that time.
I have no pictures of that era, only my berets and the regimental badges of the two units I served with. But I have quite a lot of memories!
There are quite a few books about this time but most are in French.
Best regards,

Part 2

Hello Joe
Sorry to hear La Chapelle died, he must have been of a ripe old age, but still it is a loss. Another one of the old guard gone! By the way he was close to Colonel Argoud one of the leaders of the OAS.
Lieutenant-colonel de Coatgoureden de Kerjean who was "chef de corps" of the 2eREC did not hide his feelings for l'Algerie francaise, as did also several officers and non-coms.
I was on leave for two weeks before the 22nd April in Algiers and was there contacted by my former comrades from the 13e to go along with them. At the time the 13eRDP was in operation in the Djidjelli area. The 10thDP was in that sector and under the command of Colonel Ceccaldi.
On the morning if the 22nd, the 13e move towards Constantine with its "chef de corps", Lieutenant-colonel du Serech de Saint Avit. We narrowly missed capturing Mr Joxe, one of De Gaulle's minister and General Ollie.
As far as I know the 2eREC in Djelfa did not move but was ready to go. I also know that Lieutenant-colonel de La Chapelle was tried with several other officers and sentenced to 7 years in prison. He was incarcerated in Tulles and was reprieved in 1966 or 1967. Lieutenant-colonel Coatgoureden was removed from command and replaced by a loyalist officer, and so was Ltn-colonel de Saint Avit.
General Jouhaud confirms the 1erREC role in the Putsch and the presence of one of its "escadron" in Algiers.
Hope this will partly answer your question.
Regards,

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
« 2e REP: left the base in Philippeville and went to Algiers. »

Yes, but read up on Capitaine Pierre Sergent who was actually there. And yes, I was at the airport in Philippeville, or do you know this better than me? Who was not there? Cheeses, what a prick!

Ok, so it is fine foryou to call me a liar, and making up stories, etc, but when I reply in the same vein, then I’m insulting? And you are not insulting me by calling me a liar?

And where are the photos of your medals, eh?

I am very interested in seeing what you’ve got on your chest. (I don’t expect it to be very impressive.)

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
I would think that you would be old and mature enough to reply in a civil manner in any dialog.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like you are not. End of discussion for me.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
«2eREP: left the base in Philippeville and went to Algiers.»

Yes, but read up on Capitaine Pierre Sergeant who was actually there. And yes, I was at the airport in Phillippeville, or do you know this better than me? Who was not there? Cheeses, what a prick!

Ok, so it is fine foryou to call me a liar, and making up stories, etc, but when I reply in thesame vein, then I’m insulting? And you are not insulting me by calling me a liar?

And where are the photos of your medals, eh?

I am very interested in seeingwhat you’ve got on your chest. (I don’t expect it to be very impressive.)

Attachments

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like you are not. End of discussion for me.
You started it by calling me a liar and making up stories, to make my self looking like a hero, or whatever. And you, as a moderator, will of course have a credibility amongst other posters. Never mind if you don’t have a clue of what you are talking about.

And, yes, I am old enough for a civilised discourse, but only with civilised people.
End of discussion.