a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

to those who know France..

nofuture

Reaction score
..Do you know if there are places where you can SAFELY store your belongings while you are somewhere else? I think there are some lockers in the train stations but I think those are for 24 hours only.

I´m planning to store my credit card since it is not allowed to bring it to the Legion so therefore it should be quite reliable place to put it in.

-NoFuture?

john

Reaction score
many banks offer a safe deposit box, and there is no maximum amount of time, this would be your best bet.

Fish_Sauce

Reaction score
When u arrive at Aubagne or Fort de Nogent or whatever recruitment center they will take you to an office.... They will tell you to strip and empty your pockets and bags... everything you own will be marked in your files.. all your documents will be sealed in a folder and put into a safe..

Before i left for Fort de Nogent i tried to put my credit cards and debit cards at the Crédit Lyonnais bank, but they didn't accept. I tried the post office.. they didn't offer the service... To make a story short... i came in with one credit card and three debit cards. They took my cards and inserted them into my files with my passport. So the credit card was never a problem...

by the way... i wonder if they made a statue of me yet at Aubagne, as the great fish sauce maker..?? ;)
nofuture said:
..Do you know if there are places where you can SAFELY store your belongings while you are somewhere else? I think there are some lockers in the train stations but I think those are for 24 hours only.

I´m planning to store my credit card since it is not allowed to bring it to the Legion so therefore it should be quite reliable place to put it in.

-NoFuture?

Mark

Reaction score
As Fishy sayce the cuisine expert has said they do take it all away. If you go civil you get it all back. So don't worry.
If though you like to worry leave your credit cards, knives, boots, laptops, gameboys, what ever at a friend's house in you country of origin. If you make it to a regiment just get him to FedEx it to you when you are on leave. It's really not that hard to figure ways around the system, but why bother? What good is a credit card and bank card when you must ask permission for anything you own?

An Fishy, since I did read these posts before I went...I don't even believe you were at Fort de Nogent or Aubagne. I did corvée de cuisine and the closest I got to fish sauce was the 900#fish I left in the toilets!

But I will give you some attempts to prove you were there.

1. Were was the low spot (were water gathers) in the "machine" area at Fort de Nogent ? In Aubagne in the cuisine were was the major one? What did you use to remove the water?

2. In the "yard" in Aubagne what color was the tent? How many flames were on the grenade painted on the tent? The "track" in the yard... how did people run it? What was 1st corvée of the day? In relation to the tent were was the chin up bar, the dip bars, and the puch up/press up benches? use the tent as 12:00.

3. Mentalex test...where were the 3 gas stations? How many trees did you get to draw...and how long did you get to draw them, then what?

4. In the "yard" were was the foyer, in relation to the cuisine. Where was the Legion Foyer, and the bank?

As I have said I have proof in you own posts you weren't there...so cum up now with some fishy sauce!

Fish_Sauce

Reaction score
k i was very bored
rolleyes.gif

i even left u a little surprise on the right side of the pic
biggrin.gif

i was missing deodorant lol .. this guy had three tooth brushes, some had like shaving cream and two nail cutters... shit man.. if they can't even take care of simple logistic like packing a little bathroom kit imagine the rest lol JOKING lol
tongue.gif

u know i dont remember much about Aubagne.. i spent all my time in Fort de Nogent..

aubagne.jpg

Beau-Sheep

Top Member
Reaction score
I did have to laugh a little. First we get wannabes asking if I was even in, then we get wannabes asking wannabes if they really ever were a real wannabe..... Hehehe I laughed till I pooed my pants! What next? Seems like Aubagne has changed some since I saw it..... Tent? Dip bars? we had a back yard dip in the dirt and a broom handle tied to two branches of a tree as a pull up bar... We used an old bit of scaffold timber and made a cricket bat, the look of total confusion on the Frogs' faces was pure bliss! Cricket? But you cannot do zat.... zis is ze Légion étrangère tu sais? Mais ils sont trop cons ces Anglais!!!!

Shaddup Pierre, remember Waterloo? We do..... hehehe

Fish_Sauce

Reaction score
Yea it is funny lol... whats even more funny is that i lasted only one day in aubagne after having done 5000 miles lol.... So, i told myself.. if i last only one day, at least they will remember me haha lol :p

californiajai

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey now!!! when i went to Fort de Nogent, they took my "Cartes de credit" and cut them in half in front of me (guess the CCH didn't like me) ? lol... Not that i cared or anything, but i would say if your goal is to be a legionnaire then don't sweat the small stuff, you can always get new ones later on in life! Just turn them in and pray you make it through "Selection"!

Mle 187-828

Fish_Sauce

Reaction score
*note* The Caporal even took my return ticket and safely put it in his safe with my files/passport and credit cards.. the only thing they left me was 60 euros... But i mean COME ON! lol what the hell u suppose to do with 60 euros? lol the only thing u could buy at Fort de Nogent was ping pong balls lol.

californiajai

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well im not quite sure when you went in, but in Nov '96 they took your credit cards and cut them as well as your telephone cards. You did keep your documents and return airfare (for those who had them). But times change and so does the Legion. Even so we (legionnaires) know that every CCH is different, and back then there was a lot of corruption. But we all have our own histories and memories of the Legion. What i'm saying is you cannot say for certain what anyone in the Legion is going to do, Let alone a CCH!~I love CCH's.

Mle 187-828

Mark

Reaction score
I'm gonna be honest about Nogent. I noted a lot of people wereing civil cloths at meal times. I never saw them again. I also, no shitting here, saw the CCHs hitting wannabees there. Not bad ass stuff, just a shove/punch in the chest, usualy for slering (mis pronouncing) CCH or being to alouf.

Also for the Anciens:
I don't see any problem about challenging another "wannabe" or volunteer about "if" he was there. Especially since this "wanabe" in question keeps bringing up his chief de cuisine experience. Anciens, wanna expose there frauds, do you think "wannabees" are any diferrent?

Some, or all of Fishy sauce's experiences don't equal up. One in Nogent there was no cuisine corvée. There was only machine corve, and (dont know the word for it) mess hall corvée. No hope in hell of giving out buns.

Second. The "pay stub" from the Legion is definitely all wrong, same with the train ticket. Do you think I am any less proud for failing. I did fail, I do know why. I will be going back and this time I won't fail.

Mark

Reaction score
Beau-Sheep

I considered it a failure. See You made it, I didnt! NO ONE expected me to fail! But I did! I feel the pain of the failure! You didn't have that pain!
I learnt humility, I failed! He who never failed at anything in his life (NO SHIT THERE) failed a simple test in La Legion!

Name another name for "failure" and I might accept it...maybe! But I was given a 2month grace... now that says something! Even you won't believe this, but a Sergeant apologizing to me when I got civy! Yep!!!! I was the one machine that couldn't fail! But here I am, working double shifts, trying to get the coin up for "another try"!

Just another looser:
Mark

Fish_Sauce

Reaction score
You are not a loser because you have failed the selection process. If you failed the selection process they would tell you never to come back. You were just victim of the downsizing of the French army.. all thanks to ami Jacques Chirac.
Anywayyyyy lol.. at Fort de Nogent.. the caporal-chef who was hitting ppl.. was he missing a finger and was Asian? I remember him lol... :rolleyes:

I was told to clean up the mess hall once.. you know... where there is the Ping Pong table and that soccer table game with the ball and rods... and that day he hit.. just on the forehead a British guy that would never say 'caporal-chef' the right way... I tell you all... your kness will become weak when you see this at first.. you get use to it lol... something to think about.. can you handle been hit without crying to mama or without hitting him back? lol

californiajai

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well, first off im no-one to say if you failed or not. That is something you must come to terms with. I will say this...some of the most fit blokes don't get in, while some of the weakest do! the Legion needs more than just super strong guys, they need some who are very intelligent, those who speak a couple of languages, those who can run or play music. Every selection is different, different people are chosen or sent home. In my selection i got sick, swollen tonsils and all, i was put in the infirmerie for a week till i healed up then i was put with the next batch of rouge. Some others who went to the infirmerie were not so lucky. I have said it once and i will say it a million times over, it is a popularity contest. Let me explain...There is a board of about 5-7 Legionnaires who after two weeks or so go over a list of possibles for Castel... If you did not pass the run for example that's one guy who will say your not fit, so he votes against you, then if you don't pass medical for something like weight, the doctor will say no also, but if the bureau de security (gestapo-for us older Legionnaires) says yes as with a couple of CCHs or SGTs in "CAPLE" plus you might have a skill or trade they are looking for, weel they are out voted so you get to go to Castel, once a total of 50 are chosen then the rest are sent home and told to try again in 60 or 90 days. That's just how it is. I know of an Italian who was wanted by Interpol, which is a big no-no, but because he spoke three languages and played 5 musical instuments he was allowed to join, not only that but he was passed through instruction, meaning he should have failed but the Music Principal needed him so he was given his kepi and after instruction sent to Aubagne. Whew, i've written alot. There you go. As for whether or not someone is or is not a legionnaire... i can only say this: If all they seem to talk about is Selection or Castel but never say anything about Regiment then i would not believe them to be legionnaires. If their entire experience is limited to Aubagne or Castel... they are not legionnaires. I don't know too many legionnaires who down right hate the Legion, in fact i don't know any. Also as to address hitting....when i was in YES you got pounded! Discipline is achieved through various methods!!! Now though it's not as bad as it used to be, but it will still happen, if you're a "mongol" (idiot), or just plain ugly!
Mle 187-828

Mark

Reaction score
California:
Thats the bugger of it all. I had the "popularity" thing down very pat. Hell the none of the other volunteers could believe I was sent civil. When the sergeant saw me in the Foyer (to be sent civil) even he couldn't believe I was going civil. Guess I just got a bad deak of cards there.

Fishy:
The "mess hall" with the beer, bar, cigs, coffee, ping-pong table etc. is the Foyer. Big sign over the entrance "Légion étrangère foyer" ;~). Naw the CCH that was from China (the CCH incharge of the Foyer) never hit anyone. Neither did the CCH from Nepal (GREAT GUY!!!!). The CCH that did the hitting was a German (maybe, at least he spoke German), he had a small scare over the right eye brow. A decent guy though none the less. He and I got along great!
In absolute truth, if you do (and DONT) go to Nogent, hope to heak you get the initial interview by the CCH from Nepal. He used to be 2REP, and he has LOTS of neet stories. Plus he will give you a "cool" new name, not like some of the other CCHs. CCH Nepal always gave out the best names when I was there. He also lets you pick your old or mothers/family name (this one I don't have figured out. Was it my mother's maiden name, or my old family name?). A good idea is to figure out that name using the first letter of your mothers maiden name. I couldn't think of a name using that letter, neither could CCH Nepal, so we ended up using a stupid sounding/spelling Italian name..not too bad for a Kraut...jusyt a wee bit off!

californiajai

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I would say Mark that then you were one of the unluckies, being that once they have chosen the first eligable 50 then any not on that list are sent home even if they are top of the line. I know about a guy who went to Aubagne he didnt make the run or pass medical failed both really bad...Missed the run by a lap and was to heavy (FAT) for the medical as well as having to many teeth problems (yes you can fail for that too) Anyways his name was Ronald Leblanc a Canadian i think-- he spoke French and English well. He had made alot of good friends in Nogent and even in Aubagne, but veryone thought he was going to go civil, i think even him too. Well come time for the 50 to be selected, amazingly enough he was chosen to be rouge. Now this was in 2003 when i visited a few friends in Aubagne i even got to meet this Leblanc guy. It was amazing i would have never let him in myself, but...he had made friends and could speak English and French! I heard later from my friend (an American CCH) in Aubagne who said that Leblanc had been injured in something then deserted the Legion. But, if he had not deserted he would have made it, wow. Some of the worst make it when the good ones don't, for reasons beyond anything i could imagine! _____Mosty i beleive it's the language thing. Myself it's been over 3 years since i left so i know i have to start from the begining, but i do speak French and English and even learned to speak a little Russain too, very helpful in the Legion if you ask me! So i know im gonna make it, one way or another!LOL

Mle 187-828

Last edited:

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Mark said:
...and (dont know the word for it) mess hall corvée...
'Corvée ordinaire' is the name.
nofuture said:
..Do you know if there are places where you can SAFELY store your belongings while you are somewhere else? I think there are some lockers in the train stations but I think those are for 24 hours only. I´m planning to store my credit card since it is not allowed to bring it to the Legion so therefore it should be quite reliable place to put it in.-NoFuture?
Forget railways stations. Since the locker bombing of at least one railway station possibly Gare de Lyon mit fatalities, there are no overnight or long term deposit lockers at railway stations.. I had to guard my luggage one time overnight waiting for an early morning train. Looks like a bank is your only option or a post office ?

Last edited: