a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

Today's Military

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I think the spanking was a very good spanking, I'll give you that one. But Marines are always evolving, lessons learned and taught well, my money is on the Marines. Did you ever train with Marines or US Army airborne in your time?

I hate to say this but I feel I have to. Her Majesty's largest ship is an Aircraft Carrier, a quite nice one, but the problem is it's the only one and they did without for about 10-years or so. The Carrier didn't even have any aircraft, they borrowed one from the....USMC, the Marine Version of the F-35, VSTOL. Seeing as the Carrier is designed for the F-35s or Harriers, I am glad we obliged Her Majesty's Navy.

From an American, Long Live the Queen (sincerely not a jibe)
Point taken marine..and to answer your questions..yes I have jumped both with the 82nd and 173rd airborne on manœuvres in Europe with brit airborne.. and served side by side with us marines in Beirut lebanon with the legion..perhaps you were a sprog then!😉.. no matter..and you are absolutely right about us marine F-35s bringing up to strength the strike group on her majesty’s ship queen Elizabeth.. I may be a Brit but there is also yank😉in me on my father’s side!.I love both countries dearly as well as France from my time in the legion..rather complicated wouldn’t you say!..anyway just a friendly wager marine..be well.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Point taken marine..and to answer your questions..yes I have jumped both with the 82nd and 173rd airborne on manœuvres in Europe with brit airborne.. and served side by side with us marines in Beirut lebanon with the legion..perhaps you were a sprog then!😉.. no matter..and you are absolutely right about us marine F-35s bringing up to strength the strike group on her majesty’s ship queen Elizabeth.. I may be a Brit but there is also yank😉in me on my father’s side!.I love both countries dearly as well as France from my time in the legion..rather complicated wouldn’t you say!..anyway just a friendly wager marine..be well.
I joined in Jan. 1989. In the Gulf war and in Iraq we had the Brits with us, great group of guys, great
most do not know the blast in Bieruit killed mostly combat engineers from Camp Lejeune, 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion. There's a memorial at Camp Lejeune for the Beiruit massacre.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
😀like a good old debate.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have a soft spot in my heart for the Queen, I know she is not doing well at all, cancelled all engagements for the rest of the year. Read an article today in the Sun, US Version

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Back to the shipping side, the HMS Queen Liz was built around the f35s, there is no question about that. HMS Prince of Wales, her sister ship is the same. Although they could use Harriers, they are a bit out dated, the two ships are the most up to date technologie wise, until the US brings out one better.

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Back to the shipping side, the HMS Queen Liz was built around the f35s, there is no question about that. HMS Prince of Wales, her sister ship is the same. Although they could use Harriers, they are a bit out dated, the two ships are the most up to date technologie wise, until the US brings out one better.
I love the Harriers, very special machine, If I was a blue job, thats the rig for me Joe.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
F-35's biggest strength is its information suite, its radars and software is just as effective or even more effective than most AWACS aircraft. However when it comes to dogfighting and 1v1 it is absolute shite, Su-27 or F16 would fly circles around it. Sh!t range, sh!t payload, and sh!t price, it should never have progressed further than a tech demonstrator. As long as it sticks to BVR combat and maybe strike missions cool. But in a hotly contested airspace like the South China Sea, I dont think its gonna do too well.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I read about that yesterday Joe HMS Quuen Elizabeth and the HMS Prince of Wales are operationally ready and have their own fleets of F35Bs. Also conducting ops with Marine Corps F35Bs quite a bit. Those two carriers bring a lot to the table and for one, I am damned glad they are there and with us, despite the whole 1775 and 1812 scuffles.

Fun fact! Did you know that when the Brits fought us the second time the Marines fought so hard that they did not burn down the Commandant's House while the rest of Washington burned? It was spared for the honor displayed in battle. If you ever get to Louisiana, you have to go to Challmette National Battle Field, it's where Old Hickory, Andrew Jackson, routed the Brits in 1812, two or three weeks after the war was officially over. I guess they needed this forum to know the war was over, news travled slow in those days.

D

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
F-35's biggest strength is its information suite, its radars and software is just as effective or even more effective than most AWACS aircraft. However when it comes to dogfighting and 1v1 it is absolute shite, Su-27 or F16 would fly circles around it. Sh!t range, sh!t payload, and sh!t price, it should never have progressed further than a tech demonstrator. As long as it sticks to BVR combat and maybe strike missions cool. But in a hotly contested airspace like the South China Sea, I dont think its gonna do too well.
Not exactly true, yes when they first came out the F-16s and Rafales could get them in a dog fight....the F35s are learning machine and later dog fights the F35 dominated. Before the other planes could even see them on radar,Stealth Technology, the 35s launced their air to air missiles and it was over before it began

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I love the Harriers, very special machine, If I was a blue job, thats the rig for me Joe.
On my second tour of duty, I was stationed at Marine Corps Air Station New River, MWSS-272, an Engineering Squadron. We did it all, AM2 Matting Air Fields, expeditionary Air Fields in the Desert where C-130s could land, FARPS, runway Repair and more. We used to have to recover Harriers when they were conducting operations on Lyman Road, Camp Lejeune. They would land on the road and then Taxi over to the FARP site. Several of the Harriers, Lawn Darts as we refered to them had to be pulled from the tree line, damned young Pilots, one lost his arm and leg at the elbow and knee. When we first got the Harriers, Marine Pilots learned by chaining them down to start to learn how to hover them. They are a GREAT ASSET and so will the F35Bs, close combat wins wars not 30,000 feet, you have to get a little blood on your wings. Marines and the RAF don't have that problem, they get into the fight!

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I read about that yesterday Joe HMS Quuen Elizabeth and the HMS Prince of Wales are operationally ready and have their own fleets of F35Bs. Also conducting ops with Marine Corps F35Bs quite a bit. Those two carriers bring a lot to the table and for one, I am damned glad they are there and with us, despite the whole 1775 and 1812 scuffles.

Fun fact! Did you know that when the Brits fought us the second time the Marines fought so hard that they did not burn down the Commandant's House while the rest of Washington burned? It was spared for the honor displayed in battle. If you ever get to Louisiana, you have to go to Challmette National Battle Field, it's where Old Hickory, Andrew Jackson, routed the Brits in 1812, two or three weeks after the war was officially over. I guess they needed this forum to know the war was over, news travled slow in those days.

D
It was like that in Algeria, my section had to go as protection for two clergy men by helicopter around our sector of operations to all the out lying villages to tell them the war was over. The chopper would land some distance away from the village or cluster of homes and tents and the clergy would then go up to them to tell the news.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It was like that in Algeria, my section had to go as protection for two clergy men by helicopter around our sector of operations to all the out lying villages to tell them the war was over. The chopper would land some distance away from the village or cluster of homes and tents and the clergy would then go up to them to tell the news.
Ha, our RP, Chaplains Assistant, Navy Supplies us the Chaplain and RP. Chaps just had to go, had to go out of the wire on a mission...RP took a sniper round through the wrist! I designed this, Draftsman/Surveyor and I had the Combat Engineers to build this on Camp Taquadm Iraq, 2005, Gen Whistler cut the ribon. Pretty sure when we turned TQ over the Iraqis burned it to the ground

BTW, being a Draftsman and Surveyor in the Marine Corps is not a cush job, how does anyone think a FARP or a FOB came into existence before the Grunts or C-130s got to the FARP to refuel and rearm? I did those missions on the advanced party Combat Service Support Battalion 1

Attachments

• Dedication of Chapel Dec 23, 2005 Father Hogan and BGen  (3).jpg
    Dedication of Chapel Dec 23, 2005 Father Hogan and BGen (3).jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Dedication of Chapel Dec 23, 2005 Father Hogan and BGen (23).jpg
    Dedication of Chapel Dec 23, 2005 Father Hogan and BGen (23).jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Dedication of Chapel Dec 23, 2005 Father Hogan and BGen  (5).jpg
    Dedication of Chapel Dec 23, 2005 Father Hogan and BGen (5).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 3

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Not exactly true, yes when they first came out the F-16s and Rafales could get them in a dog fight....the F35s are learning machine and later dog fights the F35 dominated. Before the other planes could even see them on radar,Stealth Technology, the 35s launced their air to air missiles and it was over before it began
If an F35 has to get in close up dogfight, then something went wrong. However as was seen with the F4 Phantom, which was slated as the 1 stop shop as well. The technology isn't always perfect, only later when they added the gunpod on and tweaked it a bit with engines etc. and went back to basics did it become the famous plane it it today. Which is why you need some of the basics on all multi-role fighters. The F35 doesn't have that, it places too much emphasis on the tech and not enough on the fundamentals.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I assure you not a wind up or a bite.

RN padres wishing to serve in Commando Brigade have to complete the commando course and earn their CGB.
However instead of carrying a rifle the unit armourer manufactures a shepherds crook for them of a similar weight to a rifle. This is carried by them everywhere when in training.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
I don't think a Democrat (leftist/woke) administration alone could be influential enough to seriously affect how the US military operates and functions as a whole.

The POTUS seat has always rotated between Democrat and Republican candidates quite evenly, and a major change in strategic military policies and decisions would need to be agreed upon by top military brass (the JCS probably), accepted by the incumbent POTUS, and passed by Congress.

The division of power has always been a strong point of the US political system, so I find it hard to believe a sole woke Biden administration could seriously affect the military's traditions and culture that much without deliberate, preceding similar actions by the Trump, Obama, and Bush administrations.

I won't be surprised either if these are the symptoms rather than the cause of the problems. A woke, weak, failing (and gay/women/lesbian/transgender/whatever) recruit can still put rounds down the range in the end, and just like how untrained child soldiers are dangerous with a Kalash in their hands, they would still be a threat for whatever enemy on the other end of the barrel.

If anything, I think we should probably be more worried about obesity.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I don't think a Democrat (leftist/woke) administration alone could be influential enough to seriously affect how the US military operates and functions as a whole.

The POTUS seat has always rotated between Democrat and Republican candidates quite evenly, and a major change in strategic military policies and decisions would need to be agreed upon by top military brass (the JCS probably), accepted by the incumbent POTUS, and passed by Congress.

The division of power has always been a strong point of the US political system, so I find it hard to believe a sole woke Biden administration could seriously affect the military's traditions and culture that much without deliberate, preceding similar actions by the Trump, Obama, and Bush administrations.

I won't be surprised either if these are the symptoms rather than the cause of the problems. A woke, weak, failing (and gay/women/lesbian/transgender/whatever) recruit can still put rounds down the range in the end, and just like how untrained child soldiers are dangerous with a Kalash in their hands, they would still be a threat for whatever enemy on the other end of the barrel.

If anything, I think we should probably be more worried about obesity.

The US led the way in the junk food...where ever they passed
You dudes have a serious problem for nutrition..
be it army or civil
Spanish Légion are on a diet actu... Google it
Perso, am a one meal a day type...never no cream, déserts or any other fatting crap on the menu..
It's a way of life....not the diet