a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Training up to fight for the Legion

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Has anyone used a rowing machine for stamina increase, that's good for low impact needs?

Sohito

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
Has anyone used a rowing machine for stamina increase, that's good for low impact needs?

I found it as great thing to catch breath during high intensity workouts. Instead of sitting for a minute, just jump on rowing machine for a minute or two, then start over. When gyms were open I mostly tended to row as rest, or do farmer carry (or other carry)- to keep moving all the time.

As low impact cardio I rather preferred eliptical glider or bike, if I really needed to. Otherwise I would go for easy run or ruck. As longer cardio, I didn't really find rowing too attractive- I don't think I ever did more than 5km (just over 3 miles), and I almost never go further than 500-2000m. For me it was always machine for shorter, more intensive type of work.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I found it as great thing to catch breath during high intensity workouts. Instead of sitting for a minute, just jump on rowing machine for a minute or two, then start over. When gyms were open I mostly tended to row as rest, or do farmer carry (or other carry)- to keep moving all the time.

As low impact cardio I rather preferred eliptical glider or bike, if I really needed to. Otherwise I would go for easy run or ruck. As longer cardio, I didn't really find rowing too attractive- I don't think I ever did more than 5km (just over 3 miles), and I almost never go further than 500-2000m. For me it was always machine for shorter, more intensive type of work.
Cool thanks for the input...I just ordered a cheap one to add to the equipment I have at work so I can get work outs in down time.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It's great, whole body exercise
Good good. I should be getting mine here in a few days and I'll put it to use

I was wondering if you have began training again and if you had in mind when you might choose to go? I know you had mentioned.

Asking because we could use this thread to update the group on progress in training so we can motivate each other.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Asking because we could use this thread to update the group on progress in training so we can motivate each other.
That would be great. We should do that. I'm currently having pain in my leg and less in my arm which doesn't stop me from training my core tomorrow. ;). For today I trained darts. :). Would inform you tomorrow what I did and what is my current weight... actually I would measure that now... its 92kg (182 cm). I thought it would be worse

I was wondering if you have began training again and if you had in mind when you might choose to go? I know you had mentioned.

I'm training lil bit, but not serious enough and I'm not having right diet. At least I'm controlling my beer intake to 4-5 bottles 2 times a week. ;)
I wrote in COVID-19 thread. I don't believe recruiting would be opened this year. :(

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You heard it here first people, no open recruitment this year... we'll see how this prediction plays out. I wouldn't be surprised. For those who are wanting to go now, it just means more time to train, learn French, and gain Legion knowledge. Study the history.

So....I tried the luc Leger beep test for the first time today. I was surprised at how difficult it was for me. I havnt been running at all for many months now just riding my bike everyday but I'm not in good shape haha I posted the screenshot from the app I am using...level 5.1

And for pull-ups, I did max set and stopped before I started to struggle and got to 17.

Beeptest: 5.1
Pull-ups: 17

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200413-204215.png
    Screenshot_20200413-204215.png
    502.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
From a blog of a Legionnaire @ Legionstories

KNOWLEDGE/SPORT
Physical fitness tests in the French Foreign Legion
April 5, 2020April 5, 2020

by Aron

3 mins read
French Foreign Legionnaires are doing a physical fitness test

In this article, I’d like to present the physical fitness tests that everyone has to pass each year not only in the French Foreign Legion, but generally in the French Army. It will allow you to compare a French soldier’s physical fitness level to yours.
How it works?
In a nutshell, you have a general fitness check called CCPG (Contrôle de la condition physique générale) and has 2 different parts:
The CCPS (contrôle de la condition physique spécifique)
  1. 8km running in uniform and boots
  2. shooting test with HK416 or FAMAS
CCPM (Contrôle de la condition physique du militaire)
  1. Cardio-respiratory endurance: 2,400 m run as fast as you can
  2. Swimming test: 15m freediving + 85m freestyle
  3. General muscular capacity: push-ups
A video made by 2°REI of the new CCPM

Sport test scale
Points2400m runningSwimmingPush-ups
208’45”1’30”50
199’00”1’39”47
189’15”1’48”44
179’30”1’57”41
169’45”2’06”38
1510’00”2’15”35
1410’15”2’24”32
1310’30”2’33”29
1210’45”2’42”28
1111’00”2’51”26
1011’15”15m freediving + 85 swimming25
911’30”23
811’45”> ou = at 10m freediving <15m freediving and finishes22
712’00”5m> ou = freediving <10m and finishes the test20
612’15”5m < freediving and finish the test19
512’30’17
412’45”15m freediving but doesn’t finish the test16
313’00”> or = at 10m freediving <15m apnea and don’t finish the test14
213’15”5m> ou = freediving <10m and doesn’t finish the test13
113’30”11
When do you pass these tests?
You’ll pass them 3 times during the basic trainings in Castel and once a year at least in your regiment. The results counts for everyone during the basic trainings and are very important. You need to get good results if you want to choose your regiment at the end of your 4 months long holiday in Castel.
What happens if I fail the test?
The CCPM classification is carried out on a value scale comprising five levels. You failed if you have less than 31 points in the three tests. Here is the scale:
  • 5: from 51 points to 60 points;
  • 4: from 41 points to 50 points;
  • 3: from 31 points to 40 points;
  • 2: from 21 points to 30 points;
  • 1: 20 points or less.
An example: my result in 2400m is 9’25 (17 points), swimming 1’52” (17 points) and I made 45 push-ups (18 points). My final result is 52 points, which means I got a 5.
The result you get will count for your yearly appreciation, called notation in French. If you have a bad notation, everyone is going to get in higher rank before you. So you can end up in a situation where your comrades, you did the basic trainings with, are going to have you make push-ups and mop.
Physical fitness is very important

Me:

(The physical tests for entry are easy to attain. I think it's good to have training goals that are pointed in the direction of the tests that will be done in basic (if you make it in) that will determine your placement and gives you opportunity to request the regiment you want and I'm sure have a hand on promotion in the future. So this was shared on the break down of tests and the point system.)

(I previously posted that I was only able to make 5.1 on beep test b cause in measuring out the distance of 20m, I was using a 4 foot stick which added twenty feet to the test. It made a difference b cause I was able to reach level 7 when I fixed my mistake haha)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
From a blog of a Legionnaire @ Legionstories

KNOWLEDGE/SPORT
Physical fitness tests in the French Foreign Legion
April 5, 2020April 5, 2020

by Aron

3 mins read
French Foreign Legionnaires are doing a physical fitness test

In this article, I’d like to present the physical fitness tests that everyone has to pass each year not only in the French Foreign Legion, but generally in the French Army. It will allow you to compare a French soldier’s physical fitness level to yours.
How it works?
In a nutshell, you have a general fitness check called CCPG (Contrôle de la condition physique générale) and has 2 different parts:
The CCPS (contrôle de la condition physique spécifique)
  1. 8km running in uniform and boots
  2. shooting test with HK416 or FAMAS
CCPM (Contrôle de la condition physique du militaire)
  1. Cardio-respiratory endurance: 2,400 m run as fast as you can
  2. Swimming test: 15m freediving + 85m freestyle
  3. General muscular capacity: push-ups
A video made by 2°REI of the new CCPM

Sport test scale
Points2400m runningSwimmingPush-ups
208’45”1’30”50
199’00”1’39”47
189’15”1’48”44
179’30”1’57”41
169’45”2’06”38
1510’00”2’15”35
1410’15”2’24”32
1310’30”2’33”29
1210’45”2’42”28
1111’00”2’51”26
1011’15”15m freediving + 85 swimming25
911’30”23
811’45”> ou = at 10m freediving <15m freediving and finishes22
712’00”5m> ou = freediving <10m and finishes the test20
612’15”5m < freediving and finish the test19
512’30’17
412’45”15m freediving but doesn’t finish the test16
313’00”> or = at 10m freediving <15m apnea and don’t finish the test14
213’15”5m> ou = freediving <10m and doesn’t finish the test13
113’30”11
When do you pass these tests?
You’ll pass them 3 times during the basic trainings in Castel and once a year at least in your regiment. The results counts for everyone during the basic trainings and are very important. You need to get good results if you want to choose your regiment at the end of your 4 months long holiday in Castel.
What happens if I fail the test?
The CCPM classification is carried out on a value scale comprising five levels. You failed if you have less than 31 points in the three tests. Here is the scale:
  • 5: from 51 points to 60 points;
  • 4: from 41 points to 50 points;
  • 3: from 31 points to 40 points;
  • 2: from 21 points to 30 points;
  • 1: 20 points or less.
An example: my result in 2400m is 9’25 (17 points), swimming 1’52” (17 points) and I made 45 push-ups (18 points). My final result is 52 points, which means I got a 5.
The result you get will count for your yearly appreciation, called notation in French. If you have a bad notation, everyone is going to get in higher rank before you. So you can end up in a situation where your comrades, you did the basic trainings with, are going to have you make push-ups and mop.
Physical fitness is very important

Me:

(The physical tests for entry are easy to attain. I think it's good to have training goals that are pointed in the direction of the tests that will be done in basic (if you make it in) that will determine your placement and gives you opportunity to request the regiment you want and I'm sure have a hand on promotion in the future. So this was shared on the break down of tests and the point system.)

(I previously posted that I was only able to make 5.1 on beep test b cause in measuring out the distance of 20m, I was using a 4 foot stick which added twenty feet to the test. It made a difference b cause I was able to reach level 7 when I fixed my mistake haha)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Due to the lockdown, recently taken up running again. Despite my advanced years (mid-thirties) i'm up for promotion (again) let's see how it goes.
Good to hear! Do you do long distance coupled with sprints? Or how do you do? I didn't know you were still serving, which military?

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Good to hear! Do you do long distance coupled with sprints? Or how do you do? I didn't know you were still serving, which military?

I am a reservist in the British Forces these days, nothing special. I run for time. I am doing alot of bodyweight stuff and I compete against the times I did in my mid-twenties. So far, Mid-twenties Ex-Pongo is kicking my arse. No doubt that will always be the case :)

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Calvi...carrying 11kg pack, 8km to be done under 50 minutes around the DZ
ah! a Krono for the number of times we did that!😉 easy for us once you were excepted in the regiment. But the promo for the new lads?🤔 they thought the farm was tough!? Then spend a year in a combat company with no permission on ville! Who was it that said we have only just begun! Times have changed now but they will still have to work for that para brevet!

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
ah! a Krono for the number of times we did that!😉 easy for us once you were excepted in the regiment. But the promo for the new lads?🤔 they thought the farm was tough!? Then spend a year in a combat company with no permission on ville! Who was it that said we have only just begun! Times have changed now but they will still have to work for that para brevet!
Mark and Joe, still proud of mine. Especially being a foreigner in a foreign land. If you look closely, the actual numbered brevet from my promo is framed...

Attachments

• 90EA7F6B-8A56-49AD-8B4B-4D5AE20DA1B4.jpeg
    90EA7F6B-8A56-49AD-8B4B-4D5AE20DA1B4.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This is a good podcast from some Air Force PJ's, CCT'S, TACTP, etc. guys. They just talk about the importance of changing up your training to get out of that plateau and to see improvement. (I havnt yet been training hard enough to honestly say I've plateaued in anything)

Does anyone have an example of when they plateaued or how they mix up workouts?